Proposal: Timo Meier for William Nylander

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
While you can argue that Nylander is a better player its not like they are apart. They are both the same age and have been producing at a similar pace for the last 3 years. Then you consider the Leafs strengths and weaknesses, and an argument can be made that Timo would make them more well rounded and harder to play against.

As for the QO, it's not like he's gonna get 10 million. Probably around 7 million. And even if they don't decide to sign him, the cap space made available will be valuable.
If they don't qualify him, is he then a UFA?

If they do qualify him to retain his rights, he's not getting less than the QO.

Nylander is on a favorable contract, and there's no way the Leafs would trade him for cap space.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
not saying he should but doesnt he have to get at least that given its his qualifying offer? or maybe just on a 1 year deal

Timo Meier - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

see the "total salary" if you arent familiar with capfriendly

Woah, interesting.

a front loaded contract vs a backloaded contract......

Otherwise it's an interesting trade idea. I think that $10m final year salary affecting a qualifying offer probably kills this idea.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Woah, interesting.

a front loaded contract vs a backloaded contract......

Otherwise it's an interesting trade idea. I think that $10m final year salary affecting a qualifying offer probably kills this idea.
exactly how would we have any negotiating leverage. He would legit have us over a barrel

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Leafs would do well with a presence like Timo. Physical and plays hard every shift while being able to score 25-30 goals. Would add a lot of sandpaper to the roster.

Sharks on the other hand desperately need a playmaking forward as they have none on the roster. William could be that player for them.
Leafs say NO..

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Wait the 10m qualifying offer thing is a joke right?

If it’s not, then it’s possible for Meier to refuse to sign a contract, and just wait for the qualifying offer to come, and if he’s not qualified, he can just sign with whichever team he pleases. Like, I know NHL gms are dumb, but surely, they can’t be this dumb?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Even outside the 10m qualifying offer thing, this is a bad deal for the Leafs. And i say this as someone who think Nylander is overrated.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Well if he's turned himself into a competent 200 ft player then my interest in a trade perks up.
Although a 1 for 1 trade makes less sense for the Sharks
Sure, this particular proposal makes no sense for the Leafs either knowing tharlt we have little to no chance of re-signing him.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Nylander is more consistent but Meier has the ability to be the better player and is younger and under control longer. I pass if im the sharks. Kane for Nylander is something I would wonder about though if the sharks want to get younger and leafs want a similar power guy.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
yeah its pretty close. but its close enough to not bother making the deal. same from SJ's side. we know Nylander is great here and is a proven core piece. making a lateral move just seems a little pointless, especially since Meier is the same position.

That's the beauty of the trade. It's basically a lateral move in terms of player caliber, but addresses a weakness for both teams.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Nylander is more consistent but Meier has the ability to be the better player and is younger and under control longer. I pass if im the sharks. Kane for Nylander is something I would wonder about though if the sharks want to get younger and leafs want a similar power guy.
Sure, if Kane gets his legal troubles and finances in order. It is possible.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Is the QO only one year? In his best interest to negotiate a 5-7 year deal at $7shmil no? Guess depends on his play but hockey players are more likely taking the sure thing then risk playing under a short term deal (as a general rule).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Is the QO only one year? In his best interest to negotiate a 5-7 year deal at $7shmil no? Guess depends on his play but hockey players are more likely taking the sure thing then risk playing under a short term deal (as a general rule).
Players dont sign QO's. Meier will probably sign a 7x7 or something, but the 10QO is just a bit of leverage for him.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Players dont sign QO's. Meier will probably sign a 7x7 or something, but the 10QO is just a bit of leverage for him.

The 10 million QO isnt leverage at all, it is just a safety net. Are the Leafs not capable of signings under 10 million or something?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It was friendly banter nothing more
And I never called him a floater

You called him soft , passive, one dimensional and poor defensively . Doesnt seem too friendly. And you doubled down w a strawman power forward argument. Leafs don't do this even Qo aside. There is a very clear talent disparity in addition to having contractual assurance w Nylander.

Reactions: Trendkill101

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Leafs should be adding to their core, not making lateral moves

Kerfoot + Robertson + a 2nd rd pick for Meier... or something like that is more inline with a trade I think Toronto should be looking to make

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Every unsigned RFA must be issued a qualifying offer otherwise they end up a UFA. If Meier rejects the Sharks extension offer(s), then either the Sharks issue Meier a 1 year 10 AAV QO or he is a free agent July 1st. Due to contracts like Meier's the new CBA caps QOs at 120% of the AAV, where as it was previously the salary (excluding bonuses) of the final year of the contract. This doesn't mean Meier will get 10 AAV, as he can reject the QO. The QO just allows the Sharks to retain his rights.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad