Timo Meier (9th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
In other words, the grass is always greener on the other side; particularly when viewing from the west coast disfavored by the hockey media.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I watched more of Meier than just about any California-located poster on this forum, thanks. Back in that season, I watched more CHL/SHL/Liiga games than Sharks games. There was a great website back then that used to steam them. It was potato quality but it was watchable. I remember you constantly accused me of not watching Meier simply because I disagreed with you. And I wasn’t the only one. There were plenty of Moosehead fans who agreed that Meier was a complementary type of player. And scouts who saw him in person agreed.

Meier has reached another level that he never indicated he would when he was 18. I’m thrilled that he did. Maybe you’re a hithertoo undiscovered scouting savant. But unless you think you’re smarter than every scout who viewed Meier, please stop beating the dead horse.
That's nice. There still are websites to stream them.
But how many games did you watch to make an informed opinion? My entire problem with the scenario is you were calling everyone out saying we did not know anything and did not watch the games if we thought he was a top quality pick and that they were "just regurgitating scout opinions". In the post I just quoted, you are seemingly saying now that the scouts agreed with your assessment, yet in 2015 you were claiming we were just regurgitating scout opinions if we actually believe he will be that kind of player. When people who watched a reasonable amount of games chimed in, you dismissed us as "biased".

I am going to say it. I was dead wrong about Jeremy Roy. Comparing him to Bourque-lite capacity was foolish. Granted I only got to see games when Sherbrook came to town, so my limited sample size viewing of him and his constant injuries absolutely bit me in my assessment of him.

My limited sample size of Alexis Lafreniere is probably influencing me as well. I think he will be a franchise/Generational level talent and he is only 17 right now and not draft eligible for another year.

I just happen to know how many Moosehead games a year are televised/Recorded for broadcast on Local TV and eastlink streams and able to make it to a stream of any kind. How many did you watch? You don't even have to be precise. Just a ballpark number of how many Halifax moosehead games you watched on live stream which allowed you to form an concrete opinion that Meier did not have the kind of upside I suggested he did.

Reactions: Helistin

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I have Hertl and Meier in my fantasy team and they're as valuable as they're for the Sharks.
I agree with your post in general. This season Rantanen seems improved while MacKinnon isn't quite as sharp as last season. Wouldn't be worried though. MacKinnon for me still the best Center.
Your numbers are wrong though. When MacKinnon missed 7 straight in early February, Rantanen played poorly and was -4 with only 4 points. You know I watch a lot of Avs games and Rantanen is a nice fit for MacKinnon. People tend to overvalue him because of MacKinnon though. This season could be some sort of a turning point for Rantanen, too if he can keep it up. He's been really good until now.
I stand corrected, my bad. I read somewhere on our board that he went PPG when MacKinnon went down.

Last year he was more of a sidekick to MacKinnon whereas this season he's been a huge driver of that line and it honestly won't surprise me if we have a Sakic/Forsberg esque situation on our hands where fans will be split on who's the better player. Meier looks like a stud, but I'll still stick with our fatassed Fin.

Good luck this season y'all.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I'm not sure which Mooseheads fans said Timo wasn't going to be good because my friends and I have been going to Moosehead games for like 10 years and Timo was a stud. They have a f***ing banner of him outside the arena next to Giguere and Mackinnon.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I'm not sure which Mooseheads fans said Timo wasn't going to be good because my friends and I have been going to Moosehead games for like 10 years and Timo was a stud. They have a ****ing banner of him outside the arena next to Giguere and Mackinnon.
What do you think of the new ice?
After 35 years of faith
ful service, it was time for that ice slab to go lol
ELEqEpl.jpg

but just in time for the Memorial cup, we have some damn fine looking new ice :)

jUccFi1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
An update that I figured I would post here as well.

Since December 14, 2017, Timo Meier has played 65 games. In that time frame...

His 27 goals rank 15th in the NHL, tied with Patrick Kane and one ahead of John Tavares

His 22 even strength goals rank 7th in the NHL, tied with William Karlsson and one ahead of Alexander Ovechkin.

His 44 points rank 78th in the NHL, two ahead of Vladimir Tarasenko.

His 37 even strength points rank 41st in the NHL, tied with Evgeny Kuznetsov and John Tavares.

He leads the Sharks in all of these categories except for points, where he is 4th.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This season he's 24th in P/60. 1st amongst Sharks players. He's also 8th in G/60.

The stats are much more flattering for this season.

6th in goals (T-MacKinnon)
19th in points (T-Ovechkin/Crosby)
4th in EV goals (>Matthews (!!!))
11th in EV points (T-Matthews, >McDavid (!!!!))

However, it’s too small of a sample size. I highly doubt he finishes the season ahead of the NHL’s best even strength goal scorer in EV goals, or ahead of the NHL’s best even strength point scorer in points.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The over-the-top language is what detracts from your argument.

The case for Meier over those two players would be linemates, deployment, and off-the-puck abilities.

For what it is worth, while I would say that Meier is the superior defensive player, Rantanen is average defensively and Barzal is like Thornton circa 2006.

You mean 2006-2007 Thornton who had 92 assists and 114 points, or 2005-2006 thornton who had 96 assists, 125 points, and was the best player in the world? because Barzal is neither and will never be

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
You mean 2006-2007 Thornton who had 92 assists and 114 points, or 2005-2006 thornton who had 96 assists, 125 points, and was the best player in the world? because Barzal is neither and will never be

Barzal's ceiling comparison is Backstrom (without the Selke nominations), it sure as hell ain't Jumbo.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Heck of a shot on the king himself. Henrik didn't even have a chance. The league is taking notice of what is happening before its eyes. Superstar Timo Meier sounds very nice.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't care what other posters say about me. My opinion of Meier has always been completely constant, and you can check my post history. I *strongly* stand-by my statement that I hadn't heard of Meier before his name showed up in the draft under "best available remaining players" when it was the Sharks turn to pick, and, from *day 1* I always stood by my original opinion of "hmm, hope he does well for us, I bet these people who scout professionally know more than me."

</s>

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The stats are much more flattering for this season.

6th in goals (T-MacKinnon)
19th in points (T-Ovechkin/Crosby)
4th in EV goals (>Matthews (!!!))
11th in EV points (T-Matthews, >McDavid (!!!!))

However, it’s too small of a sample size. I highly doubt he finishes the season ahead of the NHL’s best even strength goal scorer in EV goals, or ahead of the NHL’s best even strength point scorer in points.

I doubt it, too. But with this usage and the value he brings besides scoring he doesn't really have to outscore them all in order to be be considered equally good. He's a powerforward after all. I don't think there's currently a player in this league who's stronger on the puck than Timo. In that regard, Meier and Hertl are pretty unique players and exactly what the Sharks need to play DeBoer's system. I hate DeBoer more than anybody else but his system is great.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I don't care what other posters say about me. My opinion of Meier has always been completely constant, and you can check my post history. I *strongly* stand-by my statement that I hadn't heard of Meier before his name showed up in the draft under "best available remaining players" when it was the Sharks turn to pick, and, from *day 1* I always stood by my original opinion of "hmm, hope he does well for us, I bet these people who scout professionally know more than me."

</s>

Dude, right with you there. When they called his name I immediately thought "ok".

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Did you read the rest of the post? I was comparing him defensively to Thornton in 2006.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
He's beasting right now. Gotta give him ever opportunity to succeed. Luckily Pete is clueless and will likely make the worst decision possible on how to do that within the confines obligatory ice time for a $2mm AHL player signed by some tawny tool bag.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Tbf, i think the amount of condescension that occurs toward some posters regarding prospects deserves this kind of necro lol.

Yup. From the way some here wrote about him at the draft, the absolute surety and the trashing of DW, I expected him to be another Petrecki... Turns out the people who think they can moonlight as pro scouts might not want to quit their day job. :laugh:

As far as the Barzal comparisons... sure he's a great player but maybe there was something in his interview personality wise that they didn't want to risk. Considering the Sharks knew they needed and typically prefer to draft centers, there must have been something that scared them off. Timo is clearly a worker and has his head screwed on straight. Also, if Barzal takes too many open ice hits while admiring his passes his career may end up being shorter than Timo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad