Timo Meier (9th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The biggest problem I have with Meier is that he doesn't do anything at a high-end level and he has never produced without playing next to a superstar. Ehlers in Halifax, McDavid at the Top Prospects Game, Fiala at the WJC. Anyone saying "ok but what about Ehlers with Drouin" is ignoring that Ehlers didn't play with Drouin at even strength and Meier was attached to Ehlers' hip.

Meier is also one of the oldest players in this draft, which is a terrible sign considering his production from the 13-14 season.

You can say "he protects his star teammates" or "he is able to keep up with stars" but at the end of the day we have no stars for him to "keep up" with.

Obviously I cannot read the future but right now this looks like a disaster of a pick. Absolute disaster.
Obviously ;)

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
As Rooster mentioned stats dating back.

What is so impressive is last year it took him 37 game to get 8 goals. This Year 12.

44 games to reach 14 points last year. This year 12.

His confidence and motor will continue his success. i dont think hes going to be a ppg this year.

Going in i was hoping for 30 goals, figured he would flirt with 50 points maybe break it, didnt care as long as he got the 30.

Looking great at this point

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
When both Meier and Rantanen were being rated defensively, I dont understand how you cant see that Barzal was too considering he was part of the same list

if you insist.....

2006 Joe Thornton was an offensive juggernaut and arguably the best offensive player in the world. When discussing 2006 Joe Thornton's play without context, the clear assumption is that any reference would be regarding his offensive output, i.e, when have you ever heard someone bring up 06 Joe in reference to his defense. Had the poster said "defensively, meier is the best etc, Rantanen is xxx, and Barzal is like 2006 Thornton" then that post would be more clear, as the clear subject of the sentence would be about defense. But the way he phrased it absolutely left it up to interpretation, based on both the subject matter (06 Joe) and the way English grammar works.

For example, if i said "Pittsburgh's defense isn't that good, and their forwards are not good defensively either, but they have Sidney Crosby", it is very unclear if i mean that crosby's offense makes up for the poor defense, OR if i mean that despite the forwards being poor defensively, Crosby is elite defensively and that makes up for his teammates faults.

You weren't even part of the conversation, idk why it matters so much to you how I interpreted a sentence with poor grammar

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
if you insist.....

2006 Joe Thornton was an offensive juggernaut and arguably the best offensive player in the world. When discussing 2006 Joe Thornton's play without context, the clear assumption is that any reference would be regarding his offensive output, i.e, when have you ever heard someone bring up 06 Joe in reference to his defense. Had the poster said "defensively, meier is the best etc, Rantanen is xxx, and Barzal is like 2006 Thornton" then that post would be more clear, as the clear subject of the sentence would be about defense. But the way he phrased it absolutely left it up to interpretation, based on both the subject matter (06 Joe) and the way English grammar works.

For example, if i said "Pittsburgh's defense isn't that good, and their forwards are not good defensively either, but they have Sidney Crosby", it is very unclear if i mean that crosby's offense makes up for the poor defense, OR if i mean that despite the forwards being poor defensively, Crosby is elite defensively and that makes up for his teammates faults.

You weren't even part of the conversation, idk why it matters so much to you how I interpreted a sentence with poor grammar

Meier is superior defensively
Rantenan is average defensively
Barzal is like 2006 Joe Thornton

And you thought he meant Barzal will put up 90 assists? lol

Sorry you tried to point out how one poster was wrong but it turned out you were wrong, I know how its always ok for you to do it but not ok for someone to do it to you

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Meier is superior defensively
Rantenan is average defensively
Barzal is like 2006 Joe Thornton

And you thought he meant Barzal will put up 90 assists? lol

Sorry you tried to point out how one poster was wrong but it turned out you were wrong, I know how its always ok for you to do it but not ok for someone to do it to you

Ok to do what? i don't even know a) what you are talking about, b) who you are and why you are addressing me like we have a history, and c) why you are so engaged in my posting behavior. Pick up a hobby, bud

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Ok to do what? i don't even know a) what you are talking about, b) who you are and why you are addressing me like we have a history, and c) why you are so engaged in my posting behavior. Pick up a hobby, bud

How embarrassing

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I have no dog in this fight, but considering Mikko Rantanen leads the league with 21 points in 13 games, you might want to lay off a little bit.....
I'm obviously just ribbing her for the last paragraph. Meier undoubtedly wasn't the best player left at #9, but he's far from a horrible pick.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The stats are much more flattering for this season.

6th in goals (T-MacKinnon)
19th in points (T-Ovechkin/Crosby)
4th in EV goals (>Matthews (!!!))
11th in EV points (T-Matthews, >McDavid (!!!!))

However, it’s too small of a sample size. I highly doubt he finishes the season ahead of the NHL’s best even strength goal scorer in EV goals, or ahead of the NHL’s best even strength point scorer in points.

There's a difference between Meier and those names you list above. Their coaches always put those players in the best position. PDB doesn't do that with Meier.

Reactions: Hinterland

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
It seem Meier has hit another level this season. I can see his upside being Jamie Benn. Like Meier is already our best winger. I have ranted about Barzal and Rantanen but at this moment I almost like Timo more than Barzal. I don't think Timo will win rocket but he is definitely scoring over 30 goals. Maybe even 40 is possible if anything drastic won't happen.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
It seem Meier has hit another level this season. I can see his upside being Jamie Benn. Like Meier is already our best winger. I have ranted about Barzal and Rantanen but at this moment I almost like Timo more than Barzal. I don't think Timo will win rocket but he is definitely scoring over 30 goals. Maybe even 40 is possible if anything drastic won't happen.
I called him "Corey Perry + ceiling" back when we drafted him. I guess Benn is a more recent comparable

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
It's fun to joke around with what people said in the past, because a lot of us post like what we say is fact and there is no way such and such player will be better then _____. But in the end Timo playing like this is good for everyone and we all win. :banana:

Reactions: ConorMcGregor

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So, since 12/14/2017, Meier ranks:

4th in even strength goals with 24
12th in goals with 29
39th in even strength points with 39
78th in points with 47
2nd in penalties drawn with 29

He is turning into a star before our eyes. Given the fact that the all-star game is in San Jose, I am expecting him to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->