Timo Meier (9th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
hwbhbb.jpg

VARIOUS SCOUTING REPORTS

"A physically dominant winger with the ability to play in a skill or character role. In the offensive end, Meier is very aware and gets himself into spaces where he can easily make seeing eye passes or snap hard, accurate shots. Can impact the game in a number of different ways, and is very consistent in his efforts. All-in-all, the kind of versatile player that you can put on a skill line, and trust to create dangerous chances, or on a shutdown line, and trust to help stop pucks from going into your net."
- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=95921

"There’s not much that Timo Meier can’t do, and as one of the most versatile players in the draft, Meier has the statistics to back it up. Among draft-eligible QMJHL forwards, Meier finished first with a 1.46 points-per-game pace, finishing with 44 goals and 46 assists in 61 games, and an additional 21 in 14 playoff games.

Not only can Meier score, but his straight-line physical game is something scouts have become enamored with. Meier is an incredibly consistent performer who rarely takes a shift off, and with a solid work ethic to draw from, he will be well served as a professional."

"He’s a solid and strong skater both with and without the puck, has high-end hockey sense and reads the play very well. He is very effective in 1-on-1 situations."
- Dan Marr - Director of NHL CS

"What do Nikolai Ehlers, Kevin Fiala and Connor McDavid all have in common? All were beneficiaries of playing alongside the 6-1, 209-pound forward at some point this season. Meier skates well and doesn’t hesitate to use a strong shot that helped him score 44 goals in 61 games, but also knows how to set up his linemates; he was second on Halifax with 46 assists."
- Adam Kimelman, NHL.com

"The 6-1, 209-pound left-shot forward can play center or right wing and is strong with and without the puck. He has high-end hockey sense, competes hard and is effective in 1-on-1 situations. Led Halifax in the regular season with 44 goals, and with 23 power-play goals. He had 90 points in 61 regular-season games and he’s in the top five in goals and points in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League playoffs."
- Mike Morreale, NHL.com

"A winger with a great wrist and slapshot who loves to use it. His quick release makes it hard for goaltenders to track the shot. Uses all of his shot arsenal. Good first steps and speed but could be more agile. Has a good offensive mind and is always looking to put himself in a good shooting spot. Good play away from the puck in the offensive zone, though not in his own zone. Tends to make blind passes and turns the puck over too many times. Improved his physical play and is willing to use his body but still needs to use his size better in corner battles and while protecting the puck. Rather shoots than passes. Shows hockey sense and is making himself always available for a pass. His point production exploded this season and he elevated his game to a new level but this should be enjoyed with caution as he is on the teams most dominant offensive line together with 9th overall pick Nikolaj Ehlers.

NHL Potential: Sniper. Has a very good shot and isn’t afraid to use it."

"PROJECTION: NO. 1 POWER WINGER
Timo is about power, skill and undeniable determination. He can beat you multiple ways either with finesse or power. He has astute awareness of how to play off his lineNmates and take advantage of opportunities. Relentless in his approach and potential to be an elite power player. "

Praised often for his consistency, Meier seems like one of the safest picks this draft has to offer. His vision is tremendous and allows him to create space for both himself and his teammates in the offensive zone. That feeds into his ability to either make a crisp pass or take his signature hard, accurate shot.

Though he isn’t the biggest forward, he is a very physical player who is dominant on both ends of the ice. He may not be the flashiest player on either end, but his versatility allows him to play in all situations; he can play on a skill line and put up big numbers, or he can be counted on to play a depth role where he shuts down opponents and plays exceptional defense. Overall, he can be considered as a two-way playmaker with little to improve upon, save maybe for a slight improvement in his skating ability.

Timo Meier may end up being the surprise of this draft in regard to NHL-readiness. The case can be made to have Meier ready to play in the NHL by the fall of this year (think Jeff Skinner‘s situation after being drafted in 2010); however, it is more likely that he plays one more year of junior hockey in an expanded leadership role with Halifax before jumping to the NHL in 2016-2017.

He will likely be a top-six winger, specifically as either a complementary player on a top line or a go-to goal-scorer on a second line. He plays a similar style to that of San Jose Sharks forward Joe Pavelski.

Having tallied 40+ goals already, Meier is lethal around the net. Always looking for a chance to shoot the puck, Meier will often bulldoze his way into the crease or use his deadly wrist/snap shot put the puck in the back of the net. He isn’t a one-dimensional player either. In my viewings of him, Meier shows a desire to backcheck/forecheck. Given his speed, it isn’t difficult for him to do as he gets back into the play relatively quickly.

There are a few snipers in the draft this year. Timo Meier is certainly one of the best that’s available. It will be interesting to see if any team in need of goal scoring takes a stab at Meier earlier than projected.
- Shawn Reznik at The Hockey Writers

An improved skating stride and more speed have really helped Timo Meier this season, and he’s racking up points and rocketing up draft charts as a result. He’s not a speedster, but while he was once a bit of a poor skater, he’s now slightly above average in this regard. His acceleration and first step quickness are also decent. There is still room to improve in these areas, but with the great steps that Meier has already taken, it looks likely that the improvements in his stride will continue. Meier’s agility is decent, but again could improve going forward. He has very good balance on his skates, and excellent power. This allows him to protect the puck down low, and work the cycle game extremely effectively.

Timo Meier has great hockey sense and gets to the open areas of the ice, where he can be set up to finish chances with an excellent shot and release. He has a very good arsenal of shots with an excellent snapshot, strong wrist shot, and very good one-timer. He can be very effective off the half-boards on the powerplay. Meier is also a very physical player, establishing his position in the slot and winning board battles to create offence. He has the good hand-eye co-ordination to tip in pucks and pounce on rebounds. He gets in quickly on the forecheck and can punish opposing defencemen with hits behind the net. Meier also has good vision and passing skills, and the smarts to make a good pass when he is working the cycle. He has some finesse in his game with good stickhandling skills, and the ability to finish plays in tight.

Meier is already an effective two-way player. He kills penalties for the Mooseheads, anticipating plays well and using his long stick to break up passes, and start the transition. He is a willing back checker who provides excellent back pressure in support of his defencemen. Meier is not afraid to get physical in his own end, containing his man down low, and working to win battles on the boards. He is also more than willing to block shots, if necessary.

Timo Meier has the potential to be a top six winger if he reaches his ceiling. This may take some time and patience for the team drafting him. Even if he does not reach his ceiling, he could be an effective NHLer capable of playing a strong defensive game in his own end, and being an effective grinder on the third line. Meier’s game is reminiscent of Max Pacioretty, however this is a stylistic comparison only, and not a talent one.
- Ben Kerr at Last Word on Sports

A winger with a great wrist and slapshot who loves to use it. His quick release makes it hard for goaltenders to track the shot. Uses all of his shot arsenal. Good first steps and speed but could be more agile. Has a good offensive mind and is always looking to put himself in a good shooting spot. Good play away from the puck in the offensive zone, though not in his own zone. Tends to make blind passes and turns the puck over too many times

2015 IIHF WJC Highlights (#28)

Halifax Mooseheads Highlights (#96)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
I like this pick. I wanted Rantanen, but Meier was my 2nd choice, and he makes more sense for the team. He's the best power forward in the draft (right now), and possibly the best scorer as well. He's been dominant in every event he has played in throughout the season, which is a good sign.

And I'd love to see Meier and Rod playing together. They would be the evil swiss twins.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I'm happy with this pick. I like that he's an aggressive forechecker/f1 that could be a very VERY good complimentary piece to our top line. People discount him because he played with Ehlers, but well, I think its a great sign when a player can hang and produce with top end talent. Whats not to like? Maybe he can put up 30g with JT/Pavs and give Melky a run for that top F1 role. I know he's a few years out, just saying.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I kind of kept quiet yesterday, but I was perfectly happy with this pick. I had serious reservations on Zacha and Barzal, they felt like Michalek/Setoguchi type picks to me. Meier has a lot of tools and hopefully one of his skills will translate well to the NHL. We needed wingers, badly, and he's one of the best in the draft.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I like this pick. I wanted Rantanen, but Meier was my 2nd choice, and he makes more sense for the team. He's the best power forward in the draft (right now), and possibly the best scorer as well. He's been dominant in every event he has played in throughout the season, which is a good sign.

And I'd love to see Meier and Rod playing together. They would be the evil swiss twins.

I like Rantanen as well. But I'm a fan scout and well, most of us are. Its tough to gauge players with highlight reels & shift-by-shift videos. But I did like Rantanen's frame. But still, Meier has a lot of great tools.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I kind of kept quiet yesterday, but I was perfectly happy with this pick. I had serious reservations on Zacha and Barzal, they felt like Michalek/Setoguchi type picks to me. Meier has a lot of tools and hopefully one of his skills will translate well to the NHL. We needed wingers, badly, and he's one of the best in the draft.

I would have loved Zacha personally. Again, im just a fan scout, but I like what I see in his game and would have been a nice piece to battle against the other cali clubs. But with that name, he was destined for NJ.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

I liked Zacha but he was gone when the sharks picked anyways. Not sold on Barzal despite the fan club he seems to have on this board.

When we were on the clock, the only guy I might have taken instead of Meier was Rantanen. But they could be a toss up and so overall i'm happy with this pick. Like I said, surprised at the hate for it around here.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I liked Zacha but he was gone when the sharks picked anyways. Not sold on Barzal despite the fan club he seems to have on this board.

When we were on the clock, the only guy I might have taken instead of Meier was Rantanen. But they could be a toss up and so overall i'm happy with this pick. Like I said, surprised at the hate for it around here.

I know you've been gone/silent for a while, but if you've been lurking you would have witnessed a group of amateur scouts on this board who believe they know better than pro-scouts. Then we had the followers who pledge their allegiance to these amateur scouts for no reason other then it being the "popular" vote.

Thankfully we still have posters (Nem) who will step in and remind everyone that they don't know ****/poop. :yo:

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
After taking flashy boom-or-bust Goldobin last year, I'm happy with this pick. They might even compliment each other well. Goldy has great playmaking skills and Meier seems like he should be a solid finisher. Any of our prospect gurus have an NHL ETA for him? Maybe 16-17 as a 19yo?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I like but don't love the Meier pick. That seems to be a bit more common than the people who "hate" it.

It seemed likely to me that the Sharks would go with a big winger in the first and they did just that, that could certainly make him the BPA for the Sharks but I don't think he was the BPA still on the board, just my opinion.

He's a big forward who can play a "power" game and can score and that's the kind of player every team wants.

After taking flashy boom-or-bust Goldobin last year, I'm happy with this pick. They might even compliment each other well. Goldy has great playmaking skills and Meier seems like he should be a solid finisher. Any of our prospect gurus have an NHL ETA for him? Maybe 16-17 as a 19yo?

I'd imagine they expect him to be ready to play in the NHL by the 2016 season.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
The fact that he played with Ehlers doesn't bother me. They said the same thing about Ehlers when he played with Drouin. And he played really well for the swiss U-20 national team. I also think he's the kind of player that could easily transition to the NHL. He already has that physical play. His shot is excellent and he's a good enough skater. I like his work ethic a lot. There's really nothing negative you can say about him other than the fact that he may not be as flashy as some of the other top guys, but that stuff is not important, especially not for the kind of player he is.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Nice core of the future Couture, Hertl, Goldobin, Meier, Tierney, Mueller......................

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I've warmed up to the pick a bit. Seems like his stock was rising right before the draft. A lot of analysts said he was going top-10 the past week or so. It's nice to finally have a pure power forward + sniper prospect.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Didn't hate the pick, just thought maybe Rantanen was the org's #1. Despite not being a center, he is still a positional need and getting Roy in the 2nd made this pick all the better. Great value in first 2 picks this year.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I've warmed up to the pick too. I still think, based on all the scouting reports from the various pro scouts and sites that Rantanen has the higher upside, and I'd have been happier taking him. I will be first in line to admit I was wrong, though, should Meier turn out better in the long run, which I hope he does.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I've warmed up to the pick too. I still think, based on all the scouting reports from the various pro scouts and sites that Rantanen has the higher upside, and I'd have been happier taking him. I will be first in line to admit I was wrong, though, should Meier turn out better in the long run, which I hope he does.

Same here, the thing is Rantanen just has really great highlight reels. I think he's going to be extremely efficient along the boards and driving pucks into the zone...he's going to in all likelihood play a more complete game; but Meier appears to have higher upside as a pure goal scorer.

I see Rantanen's ceiling as a bigger version of Landeskog (30/40, imposing 2 way power forward); and Meier's ceiling as a Corey Perry lite (35/30, pesty shoot first power forward). Whether they reach/exceed that or not, I still think they're both going to be good NHL players!

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I know you've been gone/silent for a while, but if you've been lurking you would have witnessed a group of amateur scouts on this board who believe they know better than pro-scouts. Then we had the followers who pledge their allegiance to these amateur scouts for no reason other then it being the "popular" vote.

Thankfully we still have posters (Nem) who will step in and remind everyone that they don't know ****/poop. :yo:

Well, that is the nature of sports forums. You have people widely insinuating that a few internet posters know more than super-experienced coaches, GMs, and players.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
I see Rantanen's ceiling as a bigger version of Landeskog (30/40, imposing 2 way power forward); and Meier's ceiling as a Corey Perry lite (35/30, pesty shoot first power forward). Whether they reach/exceed that or not, I still think they're both going to be good NHL players!

Well said, and i like that comparison on Meier. *HATE PERRY!* ;)

Have to think based on the profile that Zacha was the guy they wanted. Probably thought he was going to fall for them, too. I personally wanted Rantanen when the pick was in, but Meier is no slouch. Like Zacha, he has an edge to his game and is more of a shooter when compared to Rantanen.

I like our chances of coming out with the best winger in '15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad