Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccabe2424

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
I heard we have to wait for the canucks to finish their games what is this trash ? We should be starting this Sunday or Monday shouldn't have to wait for meaningless games to end

Reactions: go_leafs_go02

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I knew Gally would come out for Nash.
Also figure Nash will be on the third line and basically just make it all defence, no offence

Mopar

May 3, 2021
Excited to see Hyman, Foligno and Nash getting closer. Those guys coming into the lineup is huge! Absolutely love our depth and feel it's gonna be a difference maker this year.

I haven't been this excited for the end of the regular season and playoffs since 03/04.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Nash is playing ahead of Galchenyuk....this has been well established already by people close to the team reporting it.

Also he played as recently as April....how is that not all year?

I really hope Nash isn't overrated. He's coming into this equation cold and if he's taking a spot we have to expect him to be very strong defensively and he has to deliver. If he's winning a spot on our playoff roster without even playing one game yet, there should be reasonably high expectations for what he can bring and he needs to deliver.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Also figure Nash will be on the third line and basically just make it all defence, no offence
Yeah. Everything Dubas has done this season, from shipping out Kapanen and Johnsson to trading for Nash and Folgino basically screams to me he’s telling the rest of the team “if you aren’t Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Or Nylander, we expect you to to play well defensively”, and Gally, while good, doesn’t quite fit the mold. He’s an option we can add if we’re struggling for offence.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I really hope Nash isn't overrated. He's coming into this equation cold and if he's taking a spot we have to expect him to be very strong defensively and he has to deliver. If he's winning a spot on our playoff roster without even playing one game yet, there should be reasonably high expectations for what he can bring and he needs to deliver.

Well he's going to play a massive role, that's for sure:

Reactions: Atomos2

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Literally the only people who thought otherwise were/are those who criminally underrate skater defense. Nash is one of the best defensive forwards in the league. They didn't get him to be a 13th forward.

Reactions: TopChedder

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Yeah don't know how I feel about this. I think I'd rather the 3rd line attack still, so here's hoping it can still do that. Personally I'd switch Spezza and Nash.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yeah don't know how I feel about this. I think I'd rather the 3rd line attack still, so here's hoping it can still do that. Personally I'd switch Spezza and Nash.

That would defeat the purpose of having a shutdown line. They're going to give Mikheyev-Nash-Kerfoot tons of dzone starts and you can't do that with Spezza on that line.

Mopar

May 3, 2021
Those lines look sexy!

I like Hyman back on the first line. We know he's good wherever he plays. Plus it gives Foligno a shot with JT and Willy which I think will turn out to be the best fit for him.

Third line looks great as a shutdown line with some speed and then the fourth line of vets that will be responsible defensively and still get some scoring chances.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The ease with which they should win makes it a little unsettling. Should be a fun ride though.

The only thing standing between Leafs and the final 4 are the Leafs themselves.

Our Leafs have a habit to play down to their level of competition (see our regular season struggles against Van and OTT) , and when you have so much skill sometimes overconfidence can be your downfall when you think you just have to show up to win and take the rest for granted.

So while it is a little unsettling to think how easy Leafs should make quick work of their North Div opponents, I think the Leafs have a lot of veteran presence on the current roster, as well as players willing to dig in and show up to not allow complacency and taking things for granted to derail this journey.

Its been a while and not since 1993 & 1994 with Dougie or 1998-99 & 2001 with Mats that our Leafs made it to the final 4 and this year that seems like minimum floor for expectations.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm glad that it's looking like we'll put Hyman back with Matthews/Marner and put Foligno with Tavares/Nylander. I think Foligno fits with their style better.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
That would defeat the purpose of having a shutdown line. They're going to give Mikheyev-Nash-Kerfoot tons of dzone starts and you can't do that with Spezza on that line.

While I don't disagree, DZ deployments would be best; playoff scoring has been difficult for us over the past few years and with Nash, literally nothing happens on the ice (which is also good)!

We'll see I suppose.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The only thing standing between Leafs and the final 4 are the Leafs themselves.

Our Leafs have a habit to play down to their level of competition (see our regular season struggles against Van and OTT) , and when you have so much skill sometimes overconfidence can be your downfall when you think you just have to show up to win and take the rest for granted.

So while it is a little unsettling to think how easy Leafs should make quick work of their North Div opponents, I think the Leafs have a lot of veteran presence on the current roster, as well as players willing to dig in and show up to not allow complacency and taking things for granted to derail this journey.

Its been a while and not since 1993 & 1994 with Dougie or 1998-99 & 2001 with Mats that our Leafs made it to the final 4 and this year that seems like minimum floor for expectations.

Global Moderator.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto

Exactly. Kerfoot and Mik are also two of our fastest players so i expect them to transition the puck a hell of a lot better than if they had Spezz on the line. Get the puck in to the offensive zone, cause some havoc, get a whistle and send over the big boys. profit.

Reactions: ViewsFromThe6ix

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Atlantic Div standings based on this seasons points.

1) Florida ...... 79 points
2) Toronto ... 76 points
3) Tampa ..... 75 points
4) Boston .... 73 points

Then our likely 1st 2 round opponents would be a toss up as to who comes out of the Div.

Tampa Bay Lightning +75015/2 -
Toronto Maple Leafs +75015/2
Boston Bruins +120012/1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
While having been gifted a golden opportunity to the final 4 due to the weak North Div this year, which is great for our Cup drought and 16 years without a 1st round win. However I would like to see how our current roster would have matched up against TB and Boston. Perhaps we get those former Atlantic Div in rounds #3 or round #4.
Just win, I don’t care how.
I don’t need to see us beat Boston or whoever.
Just win it.

Reactions: ACC1224

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Literally the only people who thought otherwise were/are those who criminally underrate skater defense. Nash is one of the best defensive forwards in the league. They didn't get him to be a 13th forward.

Yeah, I was shocked when posters thought he was just a cap throw in for space.

Like don't you remember playing Boston and Columbus? I sure as hell remember.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

So he stacked the top 2 lines after all.

The 3rd line goes all-defense, and he does end up moving Spezza to C on the old man 4th line.

Clearly Keefe prioritizing defense on the top 3 lines.

Almost exactly what I had said... just saying.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Exactly. Kerfoot and Mik are also two of our fastest players so i expect them to transition the puck a hell of a lot better than if they had Spezz on the line. Get the puck in to the offensive zone, cause some havoc, get a whistle and send over the big boys. profit.

Again I'm not against it, but Spezza is literally one of our best puck transporters as a F. His zone entry numbers are amongst the best on our team.

Reactions: tom leafers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad