Pre-Game Talk: Time to talk Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Well he's going to play a massive role, that's for sure:

I'm just happy Kerfoot isn't playing centre .. Guy is awful on the draw this year (40%).

Sucks for Gally but Keefe is clearly focused on a strong defensive line up that plays a more playoff oriented game. Putting a lot of the offense on the first two lines.

That fourth line may just be a bit too slow though. Thornton and Spezza seem to do better when they have a speeding player with them, to open up space.

Reactions: glue

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Yeah, I was shocked when posters thought he was just a cap throw in for space.

Like don't you remember playing Boston and Columbus? I sure as hell remember.

Could be wrong but that game 6 in Toronto against Boston, where Bergeron was hurt, wasn't it Marchand-Nash-Pastrnak? And he was great there. My only Riley Nash memory lol.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I also think we'll see a fair bit of line mixing through the series depending on what is/isn't working.

Keefe likes to shuffle the deck.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Again I'm not against it, but Spezza is literally one of our best puck transporters as a F. His zone entry numbers are amongst the best on our team.

Maby theyre hoping spezza on the 4th line will open up more offensive opportunity? or the plan is to play the 4th line 5-6 minutes a night, the shut down line another 15ish and the big boys 20 each?

Reactions: SeenSchenn2

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Nash drawing in for Gally makes a lot sense IMO. I think the idea of having Kerf and Nash on a shutdown line is huge. Especially on Defensive zone draws. We seem to be getting hosed on those this year. Having 2 guys on that line that can be trusted to take a faceoff will be nice. Not saying either one of them are dynamite at draws, but they are more experienced in that regard than Gally. I'd rather Kerf take a d-zone draw than Gally should Nash get waved out as Gally only has 6 FO on the entire year. I feel for Gally, he's really proved that he belongs in the NHL. I am sure he will check in at some point, and he will show that hunger that he has shown ever since arriving in Toronto. I am happy with the lines TBH, although I think I'd rather Hyman with the JT line and Foligno with the Matthews line. But I'm definitely ok with this combination as well

Reactions: NinjaKick

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
Wow, tough choices for the playoffs with everyone healthy. I think I put Kerfoot at C on the 4th, and move Simmonds back to the 3rd and Spezza on the wing. There needs to be a bit of speed on the 4th who can add a few goals.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The only thing standing between Leafs and the final 4 are the Leafs themselves.

Our Leafs have a habit to play down to their level of competition (see our regular season struggles against Van and OTT) , and when you have so much skill sometimes overconfidence can be your downfall when you think you just have to show up to win and take the rest for granted.

So while it is a little unsettling to think how easy Leafs should make quick work of their North Div opponents, I think the Leafs have a lot of veteran presence on the current roster, as well as players willing to dig in and show up to not allow complacency and taking things for granted to derail this journey.

Its been a while and not since 1993 & 1994 with Dougie or 1998-99 & 2001 with Mats that our Leafs made it to the final 4 and this year that seems like minimum floor for expectations.

QFT

This is going to be the theme of how far the Leafs can go. There's nothing stopping them except themselves. This lineup has everything including depth. It's up to the players to deliver, but Dubas has made a great roster going into the playoffs.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
That fourth line may just be a bit too slow though. Thornton and Spezza seem to do better when they have a speeding player with them, to open up space.
I am not sure I'd classify Adam Brooks as speedy personally. Which was the combination when that 4th line was most effective (Thornton - Brooks - Spezza). I think Jumbo and Spezz play really well together in my opinion. Jumbo has really stepped up as of late and has played a lot more physical than early on. It's caused a ton of turnovers. I honestly think Brooks meshed well with them because he was able to play at their pace. He was patient to stay back in the play when Joe and Spezz went in for pucks, and also knew how to retrieve dump in's from both of them. Brooks plays a very simple game that just works when playing with that type of talent. I honestly think he would be a better fit than Simmonds personally, but its hard to take out a guy like Simmonds. The playoffs were part of the reason why we acquired him in the first place. I really want to see what this line can do in the remaining 2 games. I'm pretty confident they've spent time on a line together this year, but I don't remember it being all that effective. Natturalstatrick line tool not working for me right now, so I can't confirm this. That 4th line is the biggest question mark I see in this potential lineup. But a 4th line shouldn't lose you many games. If they don't have it going, its very easy to distribute those minutes elsewhere in the lineup over a single game. That said, they can be a huge difference maker in a win if they can play a hard 7-10 mins

Reactions: Cecithepylon

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
60B5A736-81FE-443E-A696-7AB6C2364E87.jpeg
When you have some playoff losses you need avenged

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We might also be trying a new combination for just the game tomorrow. I'm sure Keefe wants to see what he has before making any final decisions. Lineup is looking good though.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Really glad they spent/are spending today working on the power play. It's completely inexplicable how bad it is when they are so good 5 on 5.

Reactions: NinjaKick

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm just happy Kerfoot isn't playing centre .. Guy is awful on the draw this year (40%).

Sucks for Gally but Keefe is clearly focused on a strong defensive line up that plays a more playoff oriented game. Putting a lot of the offense on the first two lines.

I actually prefer Kerf at center but I agree with you on the faceoffs....what's nice on that line there is they now have righty faceoff guy in Nash to go along with the lefty Kerf.

In general that 3rd line has a chance to be excellent defensively and frustratingly hilarious offensively - with their good defense they should be able to create lots of turnovers and with burners on both wings they should get breakaways and odd man rushes all day.....except that both mikky and Kerf are hilarious trying to finish those breaks.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I actually prefer Kerf at center but I agree with you on the faceoffs....what's nice on that line there is they now have righty faceoff guy in Nash to go along with the lefty Kerf.

In general that 3rd line has a chance to be excellent defensively and frustratingly hilarious offensively - with their good defense they should be able to create lots of turnovers and with burners on both wings they should get breakaways and odd man rushes all day.....except that both mikky and Kerf are hilarious trying to finish those breaks.
With Nash being the same kind of player, we shall call that line "all around frustrating line".

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
In the end the lineup first choices seem kind of obvious - all the established dependable nhlers made the team, while the guy that's bounced around the league Galy and the borderline kids didn't.

But sticking Galy on that 2nd line, bouncing one of Hyman/foligno to the 3rd, one of kerf/Nash to the 4th, and one of the old men out of the lineup is still a very real option that I don't think Keefe will hesitate to go to if those bottom lines aren't working out very well right away.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah don't know how I feel about this. I think I'd rather the 3rd line attack still, so here's hoping it can still do that. Personally I'd switch Spezza and Nash.

Think of it is having 2 3rd lines - one for defense and one for offense.

Reactions: SeenSchenn2

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Think of it is having 2 3rd lines - one for defense and one for offense.

Hey kind of topic, but do you have any idea how the roster the Bruins are icing tonight is cap compliant? They are resting like 16 players.

Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krejci, Hall, Smith, Kuraly, Coyle, Kase, Rask, McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Reilly, Carlo, Lauzon, Miller

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am not sure I'd classify Adam Brooks as speedy personally. Which was the combination when that 4th line was most effective (Thornton - Brooks - Spezza).

For the record - while this trio produced great offensely their underlying numbers were actually awful at around 35xgf%.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Honestly I think the main reason Foligno is going to play on the 2nd line, is to protect JT... If you guys noticed players take shots at our captain and he's the target for a lot of abuse.. and I guess players know going after our younger stars is a no no and JT can handle the abuse and just ignore it... Having Foligno there not only gives that line a good defense and grind but also some push back in scrums if they take shots at JT.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hey kind of topic, but do you have any idea how the roster the Bruins are icing tonight is cap compliant? They are resting like 16 players.

Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krejci, Hall, Smith, Kuraly, Coyle, Kase, Rask, McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Reilly, Carlo, Lauzon, Miller

Was wondering the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad