Time to start questioning Colorado?

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Obviously you can question the team as they were considered one of the best teams going into the season.

The biggest thing is the team is 5 years from having that catastrophic bad season. They had lots of stuff to improve on. Makar has only barely eclipsed 100 games now. From my pov only the last two years we were even remotely considered a real threat and only this year we were considered a favorite. Last year injuries did them in and were less than 5 minutes away from round 3 until a bad play cost them. This year we played against another cup favorite in round 2 where our one advantage at c became non existent once Kadri did his thing.

The team needs a few adjustments to get over the hump but they have about as enviable of a team you can ask for.

Reactions: Lateralous

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
So you're saying the teams were evenly matched? That wasn't true. Vegas was clearly the better team.

It is off the wall. They put out the cup champs in the blues from a couple years ago in 4. Games 1-2 went to the avs game one easily and game 3-4 to Vegas easily. 5-6 were pretty even. Bounce here and there and the goalies playing hot potato ended in Vegas winning. You don’t blow up the core over that. You make some changes to complement the top end and go from there. This team reminds me a lot of Tampa from a few years ago. Congrats to Vegas moving on.

Reactions: Lateralous

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Newhook is 20

Makar is 22
timmins is 22
girad is 22
Byram is 20

Losing Erik Johnson was a big blow for what he brought.

That defense is so young. Another year should prove good. Dump Kadri and saad walking frees up almost 10 million. They will be fine.

Reactions: FACTORY

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
If we had Kadri, a healthy EJ and Byram in the lineup we take this series for sure.
Lol ok seems like a pretty big assumption. Dont think Colorado's big guns have proved they can take that next step in the playoffs yet, reminds me of the Leafs guys but one round further along

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Lol ok seems like a pretty big assumption. Dont think Colorado's big guns have proved they can take that next step in the playoffs yet, reminds me of the Leafs guys but one round further along
I think they're more closely related to TB before they took the next step. Our top guys show up, but not consistently. At least after the first round. Whereas the Leafs stars just don't show up at all.

But yeah, for all the accolades that MacKinnon gets as a playoff beast he needs to continue that beast mode into rounds beside the quarters. My theory is that he gets so pumped up for the 1st round and tapers off come the later rounds. He needs to learn how to do an endurance run with the occasional sprint vs sprinting 24/7.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
goalie is questionable even from 2 years ago. He's a backup tasked with a starting position. Also maybe add more size.

Also more size on the defence will help.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Need to get tougher in the bottom 6 and 4-7 Dmen plus add a quality backup netminder. Those are fixable things…..same spot Tampa was in a couple years ago.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
If we had Kadri, a healthy EJ and Byram in the lineup we take this series for sure.
thanks for confirming this from the alternate universe to just came back from :doh:

Kadri wouldve helped, but couldve cost them a game with his dumb penalties anyway..... and if you remember, he was the CAUSE of the tying AND winning goal last season vs Dallas, as good a playoff as he had.

Byram wouldve made no difference as bottom pairing D.

and EJ, are you kidding? :laugh:

Avs lost to a better team, period. MacKinnon and Rantanen got shut down. Blame them if anyone.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
thanks for confirming this from the alternate universe to just came back from :doh:

Kadri wouldve probably cost them a game with his dumb penalties anyway..... and if you remember, he was the CAUSE of the tying AND winning goal last season vs Dallas, as good a playoff as he had.

Byram wouldve made no difference as bottom pairing D.

and EJ, are you kidding? :laugh:

Avs lost to a better team, period. MacKinnon and Rantanen got shut down. Blame them if anyone.
Oh

Reactions: Ambisextrous

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wonder if next season we hear the same "We aren't trading assets for a deadline deal" from the fans.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’m not too concerned. It sucks that we threw away the series with Vegas, because we could have went all the way this year. We have the youngest D core in the league, and tons of firepower upfront. We have solid prospects and a decent cap situation. We’ll be one of the best teams again next year, and make another run at it.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Only question that needs asking is whether they’re just like thinking too much. Like maybe if they stopped thinking and just said **** it, they’d be able to win.

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
Dunno if we win that series but EJ and Kadri alone make a big difference. I would have liked to add a stastny, as another good center always helps. EJ I think helps more then anything else. Think a lot of avs fans wanting him gone will change there minds on that now

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Colorado lost to essentially the other best team in the league. Colorado wasn't even playing with their 2nd line center, they really shouldn't do anything besides making sure Kadri doesn't make bone headed plays.

Reactions: AvsFan29

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I wonder if next season we hear the same "We aren't trading assets for a deadline deal" from the fans.
Lol what should they have done? Deadline deals almost always involve overpaying for rentals and typically dont work. Tamps got two non rentals last year and paid dearly for them. Nothing wrong with blinking at those prices. I agreed with them standing pat and agree now. Most great teams go through this. They still have internal growth coming. Detroit was an amazing team in the early 90s and didnt win until the late 90's. Tampa has had a great team for a long time but last year took time to happen. It always makes people feel good when a favorite goes down, but they likely just lost to a cup finalist. They're one of the best teams in the league and will be again next year. Nothing to sneeze at. Keep the core, stay the course. They werent at full strength, they can be better. Coaching change might make a difference.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Only question that needs asking is whether they’re just like thinking too much. Like maybe if they stopped thinking and just said **** it, they’d be able to win.
CorruptHeartfeltAsiaticmouflon-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: holy

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'd say they are still trending in the right direction. You have to remember they missed Kadri all series as well. You've got MacKinnon who specifically took a pay cut to keep the team together in the past and claims he'll do it in the future. They were an overtime goal away from being up 3-2. Fleury made a huge save 10 seconds into overtime in Game 5. I think they could use some more meat on the back end. That's about it. Makar is incredible. How is it possible that guy is only in his 2nd year?
LOL He didn't take a pay cut to keep the team around. That was his value when he signed that contract
He didn't break out till year 2 of his contract

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lol what should they have done? Deadline deals almost always involve overpaying for rentals and typically dont work. Tamps got two non rentals last year and paid dearly for them. Nothing wrong with blinking at those prices. I agreed with them standing pat and agree now. Most great teams go through this. They still have internal growth coming. Detroit was an amazing team in the early 90s and didnt win until the late 90's. Tampa has had a great team for a long time but last year took time to happen. It always makes people feel good when a favorite goes down, but they likely just lost to a cup finalist. They're one of the best teams in the league and will be again next year. Nothing to sneeze at. Keep the core, stay the course. They werent at full strength, they can be better. Coaching change might make a difference.
TBL paid for Killorn and Coleman, and to a lesser extent Goodenow and Savard. They also have a top 4 that are giants compared to what CO has. CO has skillsy players, but not enough rugged, strong, smart players who can play without the puck. Not sexy, and you can't brag about how many points they score, but you might get to hoist a Cup.

CO has plenty of assets to trade, so I'm not feeling sorry for them. Makar, Mackinnon, and Rantanen are fine. They just need a different flavor of supporting cast. More worker bees than artistes. Scapegoating Graves and Burakovsky won't get it done.

Oh, and Kadri...how many times do we have to see that movie? The guy can't control himself.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It isn't like Colorado has been favorites for years and failed to advance. It's just the last couple of years that anyone really expected much from them. A couple more years of failing to get out of the second round and I think we can start wondering about them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00