Time to start questioning Colorado?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Vegas was a very strong opposition to lose to, but not so much Dallas and San Jose. I don't think it's panic time, but being the Leafs of round two is certainly in the back of the mind. Definitely need to dump Kadri, that dudes arguably cost his teams three series with his suspensions.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Among the teams not currently in the semis, I think they have the deeper roster and best chances next season.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
No. They were an 8th seed in 2019 who really came out of nowhere in the playoffs because of Makar and overachieved expectations. 2020 they went to game 7 OT and would've beaten Dallas without the goalie injuries. 2021 they lost to a powerhouse that tied them for the league lead in pts. This is stupid. They're fine

Reactions: covfefe

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't want to jump all over the Avalanche but relying on a couples defenseman under 22 in your top 4 is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs. Give Makar and Girard like 3 years and Colorado will be right in their prime to win(assuming they can keep the rest of the main core intact)

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Lol. Where do people get the idea that contenders should blow it to every time they don't win a cup. There are 4-6 contenders every year, and Colorado is one of them. Every year only one team wins the cup.

The plan is stay the course, hope you make the right accessory moves, and rinse and repeat until the core starts getting old.
Why, good ol HFBoards of course. Where else do people come up with delusional ideas?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Grubauer is nominated for the Vezina this year. Is that because he's a great goalie or because he's behind a great team?

I've always felt it was risky to build a great team and hope for the best on an average goaltender. Sometimes it works but a lot of the time that goalie can lose you a series. Personally, I think they need a stud in net. I don't know if Grubauer is it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't see what the big deal is. They lost to an elite team that was pretty much their equal in a hotly contested series where they caught a few bad breaks in Game 6, there's a fine line between winning and losing in the playoffs so all this "questioning Colorado" talk is a gross exaggeration.

The other teams with superstars that flamed out early like the Leafs and Oilers should be questioned, and embarrassed, by their respective performances. Colorado, not so much.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really don't see that much of an issue with Colorado. They lost to the team that was tied with them at the top of the league for points in the regular season.

Now if they would've lost to STL or struggled to beat STL and then were swept by Vegas, then maybe I'd have questions.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Danault coming in rescue for his BFF Mackinnon ? :sarcasm:

I would love to see a line with Saad - Danault - Burakovsky though.
I just think he would bring a different element to the team. Kadri is a great player but he has hurt the team with his undisciplined play. Danault would be a great 2 center while Jost and Newhook continue to develop. Then he could be moved to 3c as they progress and give him a shutdown role.

Reactions: Spilot23

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I just think he would bring a different element to the team. Kadri is a great player but he has hurt the team with his undisciplined play. Danault would be a great 2 center while Jost and Newhook continue to develop. Then he could be moved to 3c as they progress and give him a shutdown role.
I think the line I mentioned would be as balanced as it could get. I would love to get Danault on the Avs would be a better fit than Kadri IMO. When Kadri doesn't produce he's hardly doing anything beside killing plays we saw that against the Blues.

Reactions: NeptunesTrident

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Better version of Toronto.. mostly a regular season built team while the Leafs are for the regular season only. But they are still a great team and can change that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They lost to the best playoff team in the Western Conferance. Nothing really to complain about. It’s not like they lost to the Blackhawks or Jets.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't want to jump all over the Avalanche but relying on a couples defenseman under 22 in your top 4 is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs. Give Makar and Girard like 3 years and Colorado will be right in their prime to win(assuming they can keep the rest of the main core intact)
They'll never win relying on those two. They are small, soft offensive Ds. They need to bring in some real D men.

Reactions: Fatass

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
They will win within 3 years IMO.

Mack is the 2nd best player in the NHL
Talent from UFA pool will want to play there
Forward group is top 3. Missing Kadri hurt.

I agree Girard is overrated.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I am worried about the teams mental toughness. They won 6 in a row, and then lost 4 in a row.

Yeah Vegas was the better team but the Avs should have at the very least made it a 7 game series

still it’d be really dumb to make any major moves of the inner core players

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Colorado overrated?? You dont say

its almost like you need more than one forward line

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Grubauer is nominated for the Vezina this year. Is that because he's a great goalie or because he's behind a great team?

I've always felt it was risky to build a great team and hope for the best on an average goaltender. Sometimes it works but a lot of the time that goalie can lose you a series. Personally, I think they need a stud in net. I don't know if Grubauer is it.
He lead the entire NHL in high danger save percentage this year. He plays behind a great team no doubt, but he’s high end in his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad