Time to start looking for a no. 2 Center?

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Do you guys think that Gryba hit changed Eller? I remember thinking that just prior to that hit, Eller had been playing amazing. He was becoming the player we hoped.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
To answer the question:

"Time to start looking for a no. 2 Center?"

On my opinion, No.

As a lot of people say:
- We have a lot of does at the moment... 3-4 actually... If there is a trade, that our tradable asset.
- We are lacking of scoring wing & physical presence.
- We don’t need secondary fire power, we may miss of superstar offensive material, but the team has 3 lines that produce instead of 2… (Or 1 in some team!)

Finally, 2 word of wisdom…
- A problem we know is usually better than a problem you don’t
- If it’s no broken, don’t fix it!

We are one of the top team this year and enjoy it a lot! If MB has a chance to upgrade the team then cool!

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Do you guys think that Gryba hit changed Eller? I remember thinking that just prior to that hit, Eller had been playing amazing. He was becoming the player we hoped.

I don't really think so. I don't find his game has changed drastically since before and after the hit. I just think that's part of what he is, a very streaky player. Nothing to do with the hit.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

No way,

Eller is just inconsistent.

One game he will be awesome and the next just not all that involved.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
No way,

Eller is just inconsistent.

One game he will be awesome and the next just not all that involved.

The thing with Eller is that he always works hard but he doesn't always get the results. Sometimes he'll bust his ass and nothing will come from it for weeks at a time, then it unblocked and everything goes well until he loses his confidence again.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
The thing with Eller is that he always works hard but he doesn't always get the results. Sometimes he'll bust his ass and nothing will come from it for weeks at a time, then it unblocked and everything goes well until he loses his confidence again.

Doesnt get the results?he rags the puck and kills some time.thats it.doesnt shoot ,pass or hit.the blues definitely knew what they were doin by moving him.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Doesnt get the results?he rags the puck and kills some time.thats it.doesnt shoot ,pass or hit.the blues definitely knew what they were doin by moving him.

...and yet he's 9 points behind Wee Man in 5 less games with no PP time and almost no O-Zone starts...oh, and he's actually more effective than Wee Man 5-on-5 at both ends of the ice...but yeah, he's useless, trade da bum...:laugh:

HabsDieHard*

Eller doesn't have to be a top 2 center to be a successful player on the Canadiens.

Not to live up to his draft hype.

Not to live up to the expectations after being acquired for Halak.

Not after playing at a 50 point pace in 2012/2013.

There is no magic number or elixir which will determine if Eller is or isn't a top 2 center.

Your "true hockey sense" comment is an interesting take, I've long felt Eller needs a more high end playmaker on his line because he is not the best at using his teammates out on the ice.

Thing is, Eller has played about 450 professional North American hockey games. Give or take. Some will say he's as good as he's going to be and at his age with his experience that's all you're ever going to get and I look at that 2 ways.

1) If this is more or less the pinnacle for Ellers' career than I'd say he could well be one of the top 10 3rd line centers in the NHL for the next half decade.

2) Because so many people put their game fully together or something close to it, at such a young age, people unfairly expect that out of everyone.

Eller had, obviously, a very big learning curve upon coming over to North America and I think most would agree that if he had been drafted by a team like Detroit and played in the AHL for 2-3 years instead of just 1 he might have become a much more polished player, and earlier no less. But I don't believe that Eller is undoubtedly as good as he's going to be or that he can't be a solid #2 center on a contending team. Might not happen over night, or even in the next season or two, or maybe even it never happens...but saying he "lacks true hockey sense" as a way to write him off is just absurd. There are plenty of solid NHL players who do things like hold onto the puck too long too often and have it lead to nothing. There are plenty of solid NHL players who take questionable penalties at bad times. There are plenty of solid NHL players who will sometimes go weeks or even months putting up offensive numbers significantly below their career norms/averages.

As was pointed out several times earlier in this thread, Ellers' Even Strength Point Production to date on this season has him somewhere in the low end 2nd liner/high end 3rd liner for production.

He's good on faceoffs.

Hes' big, fast, and defensively responsible.

Maybe in 2018 Eller is putting up 20 goals and 30 assists for the Canadiens and looking like a bigger Tomas Plekanec, or maybe in 2018 he's putting up 10-15 goals and 15-20 assists and looking like a younger Manny Malhotra.

It should also be noted that Eller has never consistently played with good linemates. Blame that on him if you'd like and say it's up to earn more minutes and better quality line mates but there have been countless instances in the last couple of seasons where a line of his was going well and they took a player off of it to help getting one of the top lines going.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
It should also be noted that Eller has never consistently played with good linemates. Blame that on him if you'd like and say it's up to earn more minutes and better quality line mates but there have been countless instances in the last couple of seasons where a line of his was going well and they took a player off of it to help getting one of the top lines going.
Agreed. I was just making this point with a colleague of mine here at the office. I think Eller has played better with Sekac than either of them play with anyone else; and they still don't stay together, as Therrien keeps putting the lines through his blender.

Just to illustrate, Eller has over 500 minutes of icetime at 5-on-5 this year; he's played with Sekac for 306 of them. Then Prust, for 242. After that it's a smorgasbord of everybody with no consistency whatsoever.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
...and yet he's 9 points behind Wee Man in 5 less games with no PP time and almost no O-Zone starts...oh, and he's actually more effective than Wee Man 5-on-5 at both ends of the ice...but yeah, he's useless, trade da bum...:laugh:

I think it's odd if you say "Wee Man" and claim to be unbiased.

Just seems weird.

That being said, Eller is having his typical year, Desharnais just wasn't playing good enough. Something you're missing in your analysis though is DD played out of his natural position for a bit so it did change some things. Still, I think BOTH have more to offer going forward.

HabsDieHard*

Agreed. I was just making this point with a colleague of mine here at the office. I think Eller has played better with Sekac than either of them play with anyone else; and they still don't stay together, as Therrien keeps putting the lines through his blender.

Just to illustrate, Eller has over 500 minutes of icetime at 5-on-5 this year; he's played with Sekac for 306 of them. Then Prust, for 242. After that it's a smorgasbord of everybody with no consistency whatsoever.

Do you think you could link me the site you found that on???

HabsDieHard*

I think it's odd if you say "Wee Man" and claim to be unbiased.

Just seems weird.

That being said, Eller is having his typical year, Desharnais just wasn't playing good enough. Something you're missing in your analysis though is DD played out of his natural position for a bit so it did change some things. Still, I think BOTH have more to offer going forward.

Go back and look at this poitns pace before he was moved to the wing.

Also---There's a reason Therrien moved Desharnais to the wing, not Eller (and it's not because Desharnais is more of a "team player")

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Go back and look at this poitns pace before he was moved to the wing.

Also---There's a reason Therrien moved Desharnais to the wing, not Eller (and it's not because Desharnais is more of a "team player")

Which proves my point doesn't it? That Desharnais just wasn't producing to expectations alongside max.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Nobody said trade him.does he even have any value?maybe mb can work sum magic and land a scoring forward for him or in a package but i aint holding my breath.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Let's say we trade Eller and face the Penguins in the playoffs. Pleks is going to play against Crosby, who's going to be playing against Malkin? Desharnais? Good luck with that!

HabsDieHard*

Let's say we trade Eller and face the Penguins in the playoffs. Pleks is going to play against Crosby, who's going to be playing against Malkin? Desharnais? Good luck with that!

"Something something Eller is not on pace for 50 points so he's a disappointment"

kazmanian

Sep 30, 2014
WRONG Littledaddy!!!...Gauthier wanted Oshie or Backes...got Eller...because the Blues knew the Habs had decided they could no longer keep both Halak and Price. Gauthier painted himself into the corner with his public declarations...that is why he is no longer managing the Habs.

That's wrong... they didn't want to part with Lars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad