Time to start looking for a no. 2 Center?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You are confused. I'm not the one who has to plan, Bergevin does. I can obsess all I want. Yeah, and this is planning. If you think Bergy should not be thinking of this right now, then you have pretty low expectations of Habs GM. :)

and in your obsession, did you take into consideration that #14 is showing no sign of regression, none ??

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
WRONG Littledaddy!!!...Gauthier wanted Oshie or Backes...got Eller...because the Blues knew the Habs had decided they could no longer keep both Halak and Price. Gauthier painted himself into the corner with his public declarations...that is why he is no longer managing the Habs.

...please post source, as everything I've read (and remember, as I was ecstatic we got Eller for a leaving Halak) states a different story...

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
We should be more focused on the now then 3+ years down the road. There's no guarantee that the habs will be more of a contender in 2-3 years, in fact I'd say the opposite we are closer now then in 3 years (Assuming no major changes or players coming out from no where).

Price is in his prime, and is quite likely having his career best season, Subban/Pacioretty are both in their primes. Markov & Plekanec are both huge pieces that will be hard to replace. We have cheap/effective players in the Gally's, in 3 years they will be making a lot of money.

Yes we have a good prospect pool but the idea that they will seamlessly enter the lineup and replace guys like Markov/Plekanec is naïve at best.

Good post. But I think the now and the future are both important. Build while contending. A cup would be fantastic. 3 or 4 in the next 12 years would be even better.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
What about David Desharnais? :laugh:

No but seriously I am quite concerned as well about the center position.

I expected more reaction for leaving DD out of the OP. I did not do it to spite the guy, I just did not place him in 2 years in a conversation about no 2C on Habs as a contender for 2 reasons:

1. Lack of goal scoring. (Though the little guy has potted a few lately.:))
2. Struggles like hell in PO.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I think you just need to lower your expectations of Eller and you'd probably be more happier with his play. He's still on pace for 30-35 points which is not bad for a 3rd liner.

Not sure why you think this year is supposed to be the year he challenges Pleks for a center spot? This is nothing like the Ribeiro/Pleks situation in '06. Ribs lost his spot that year because he sucked, Pleks is playing well this year. If anything, it's DD's spot Eller has to go after, not Pleks'.

Besides, who doesn't want to have two two-way centers in the top 6? We would be way better defensively. Could be a good start to end our "rely-on-Price" strategy.

I also think goals will come naturally when a team plays better defense anyway..

If Habs contend with Eller being what he is now, a fantastic no 3 30 point C who is tough in PO, I have no problem with that at all. My disappointment is only that I wanted him to jump to no. 2 and replace Pleks, who will decline to a no 3C during his next contract, despite what people think.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Groovejuice...check your facts...Gauthier wanted Oshie or Backes...but had to settle with a St-Louis reject...the Blues were disappointed with Eller thinking they were drafting a top 6 player, but realized after a few seasons that he had little offensive upside. Groovejuice...you know little about hockey talent...I suggest you try another sport.

So many like you belittle a very skilled player who's been given virtually no opportunity to demonstrate an offensive upside.

You really can't judge the soup by how it looks. You need to take in the aromas, savour it on your tongue, and experience it on the way out.

We don't really know who the Ghost wanted. It's actually quite irrelevant because he made trades emotionally. Hehe trading Cammy between periods. A psychopath for sure.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
There are a bunch of successfull centers at 34+, your question is a trick one because you're putting a ton of restrictions (contenders, 2c, good, etc.)

List of successfull older centers on top of my head : Thornton, Marleau, Sedin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ribeiro, Fisher, Gomez (lmao... I hate this guy)...

No reason to doubt Pleks has 3 to 4 years left in the tank if not more.

OK at least you made the effort to think of some players, like I should have, but the number of players and the numbers are hardly convincing.

If there are say 10 teams that are contenders, you thought of 6 out of 20 no 1 or 2 C that are 34 or older on contenders. Though Vancouver should not really be on that list I think.

I have deleted Gomez as Devils are not a contender, and Gomer hurts your argument, as his play took a huge nosedive the year he turned 30. It's not exactly Crosbyesque right now either.

Let's look closer at the six others:

Thornton: No argument, except the guy is a hall of famer. He's also 35, in the low part of 34-38.

Marleau: Also a good case for you, except look at his goal numbers, he's on pace for 16, and he's a 30-40 goal guy. The slide may have started. He's also 35, at the low end of the age range.

H Sedin: He slid to 50 P last year, but that was a **** year for Nucks generally. Bouncing back this year I'll give you that. Again though 34 years old, at the beginning of the age range.

Datsyuk: Awesome as always. And 36. But note that injuries are adding up. This and last year. He started getting hurt at 32 so maybe he's more delicate than Pleks. Also a hall of famer.

Ribeiro: Good year at 34, again beginning of the age range.

Fisher: A bit low scoring, but 50 point avg so a no. 2 OK. Again only 34, and note only 18 P so far this year. Decline could have started.

All in all most of your examples are 34-35, or HOF guys. I would say Sedin, Marleau, Ribs and Fisher are comparables. That's 4 out of 20 top 2 C on contenders. Not many. Let's see how they do the next 3-4 years. I'm not convinced.

Though you could argue that Pleks could still be a good no 2C age 34 and 35, then slide to no 3 at age 36-38. That buys Habs a couple of years to find a no 2C hopefully.

Also, you are right, I should look at non contenders with good older centers to be fair.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The center position is an obsession of this board in general and is vastly overrated by 99% of the fanbase.

I'm just ahead of the curve, anticipating the ****storm that is coming next December when the rest of the board realizes Pleks is UFA and we have no legit no 2 to replace him. :)

And the center position is not overrated. That is a ridiculous thing to say. It is as important as all the other positions in the sport, and worthy of discussion on a fan board. If you don't like the thread, then don't join it.:shakehead

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
and in your obsession, did you take into consideration that #14 is showing no sign of regression, none ??

That is true, but how in hell does that prove that his regression will not start in two years? Is that seriously your argument?

"This is a nice car and I would like to buy it but it is ten yours old and most cars start to have problems after ten years."

"No worries. It is not broken now, so there is no chance it will break in two years"

You're kidding me right? By years of empirical eveidence , there is statistically a very high probability that Pleks play will decline in the next 3-5 years, ok?

Sure it may not happen. But at least acknowledge it, for god's sake. That's all I'm saying. I'm not asking to sleep on your sofa and drink all of your beer...

And where did this 'obsession' **** come from? I started a thread on Habs Centers. I don't keep their pictures on my wall dude.

Jeezus this board somteimes...:shakehead

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That is true, but how in hell does that prove that his regression will not start in two years? Is that seriously your argument?

"This is a nice car and I would like to buy it but it is ten yours old and most cars start to have problems after ten years."

"No worries. It is not broken now, so there is no chance it will break in two years"

You're kidding me right? By years of empirical eveidence , there is statistically a very high probability that Pleks play will ddedline in the next 3-5 years, ok?

Sure it may not happen. But at least acknowledge it, for god's sake. That's all I'm saying. I'm not asking to sleep on your sofa and drink all of your beer...Jeezus this board somteimes...:shakehead

that example... :facepalm:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
that example... :facepalm:

I corrected the spelling mistake, which was obviously a rush typo and not due to ignorance. To the rest of the board you're looking like an ******* by the way, not clever. Bye.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I corrected the spelling mistake, which was obviously a rush typo and not due to ignorance. To the rest of the board you're looking like an ******* by the way, not clever. Bye.

give you head a shake, a typo (that I didnt even notice) is not what makes your example REALLY bad.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The center position on Habs should be very interesting to watch the next few years.

Habs centers have been an obsession of mine for a few years now. I've generally not been happy with them as a group at all, the low goal scoring from Habs centers especially is a constant problem I think. Habs low offensives production is not just a wing problem. I think at root it is a center problem.

Yes, it is obvious that there is a lot of obsession on HF Boards. Welcome to the club.

Of course, the demand is for a "goal-scoring" centreman, in order to eliminate David Desharnais (and also a Joe Thornton i his prime).

I think there are enough threads about this subject.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I wondef if DD and PAP when healthy in a package could get us a top 4 RH Dman or bigger RW wing with grit.
We do have pics and prospects but cap room could be an issue
Come on Bergy, its your time for the next couple of months :handclap:

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
It's ridiculous that some people here aren't satisfied with what Eller's doing. Producing at a 30 point pace over a full season with his tough defensive assignments and no PP time is really good. Some of you have absolutely no clue how valuable someone like Eller is to the team.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The center position is an obsession of this board in general and is vastly overrated by 99% of the fanbase.

No it isn't.

There is an absurd obsession with acquiring a BIG centreman, but the position is not overrated.

HabsDieHard*

It's ridiculous that some people here aren't satisfied with what Eller's doing. Producing at a 30 point pace over a full season with his tough defensive assignments and no PP time is really good. Some of you have absolutely no clue how valuable someone like Eller is to the team.

Couldn't agree more.

There are lot of incredibly uninformed posts in this thread.

Like I said earlier, Eller is criminally underrated by some Habs fans.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Couldn't agree more.

There are lot of incredibly uninformed posts in this thread.

Like I said earlier, Eller is criminally underrated by some Habs fans.

I think Hab fans are smarter than you think. Eller won't become a top 2 center because he lacks true hockey sense. Now and then he'll show it but not consistantly. He however is polished on checking and defensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad