Time to start looking for a no. 2 Center?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Eller has been given the opportunity on the PP...but doesn't have the offensive talent to make it work consistently. Secondly, St-Louis Blues would have clearly kept Eller if they thought he had offensive skill...at the time, they didn't want to part with TJ Oshie, David Backes or Patrick Berglund for Halak.
Regarding, J.DR...he is still adapting to North American hockey...in the many times I saw him play, he showed he had greater skill than Eller.

That's totally incorrect. You made it up. Eller had always had extremely minimal PP time.

No. St. Louis traded Eller because they wanted Halak. They let a valued player go to get him. They drafted Eller high because they valued his two way game.

You're simply inventing arguments with very little merit.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Look around the league, there's not much better than Eller as a #3 C.

He,s likely the BEST 4th line C in the league if you give him that spot. Good F/O %, amazing puck possession and, the fact he doesn't shoot or pass the puck in the O-zone no longer matters! :nod:

That way, not only is he perfect in his role and people can finally stop making excuses for him, he's also the best paid 4th line C!

Apr 28, 2010
Relax. :) I said people were free to disagree about my assumptions on Eller in my OP. But this year, I don't like his lack of push to the next level, forcing his way past Pleks, which is what he has to do, like it or not.

I hope as much as anyone that Eller can develop into a 20G-30A no 2C, this would be fantastic. But this year was crucial. I was hoping Eller would step up big time, allowing Habs to deal Pleks and not re sign him end of next year. That is likely not going to happen now. It is my biggest disappointment re Habs this year.

Is it fair to Eller? No. But NHL is not fair and Eller, Eller's agent should have known that this was a huge year for him. He had to produce offense on line 3, with whatever line mates he had. He has played great. But the offense is not there. The consolation is that Eller and DLR will be great no 3C for Habs for years. But it leaves the no 2C spot vacant. Hence this thread. :)

I think you just need to lower your expectations of Eller and you'd probably be more happier with his play. He's still on pace for 30-35 points which is not bad for a 3rd liner.

Not sure why you think this year is supposed to be the year he challenges Pleks for a center spot? This is nothing like the Ribeiro/Pleks situation in '06. Ribs lost his spot that year because he sucked, Pleks is playing well this year. If anything, it's DD's spot Eller has to go after, not Pleks'.

Besides, who doesn't want to have two two-way centers in the top 6? We would be way better defensively. Could be a good start to end our "rely-on-Price" strategy.

I also think goals will come naturally when a team plays better defense anyway..

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yup.

People too often look at this "magical" 50 point mark and feel the need to compare every players' production to that rate to determine if they're producing enough or not.

Truth is, 30 points for a 3rd line center who doesn't play on the power play is good production.

Remember everyone, this was NOT a bash Eller thread. I think he is an excellent no 3 C. The thread is about the Habs possibly lacking an effective younger goal scoring no 2C in 2 years, assuming Eller cannot cut it at that level, and stays at no 3, while Pleks gets too old to provide playoff offense at 2C. IE: Habs have too many no. 3C, and no. 2C.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I missed this thread before I posted in the trade proposal thread!)
Given that Plekanec only has a year left on his deal, we need to plan ahead. The other issue is that when Galchenyuk is at centre it leaves a huge hole at LW. While pacioretty is an elite LW, we actually have more depth at RW at the moment. (caveat: Sekac can play LW)

Here's what I wrote:

The first round pick to Avs would have to be conditional on ROR re-signing with Habs. No way any team should lose first round picks to the whims of player's wives deciding they don't like a city.

I'm not kidding either. I would be extremely pissed off if Habs lost a first for a pending UFA who did not re-sign. Cannot happen.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
De la Rose is 19yo....and we're saying Galchenyuk isn't ready yet at 21.....

In how many years will he be able to face top offensive match-up as Eller is doing?
Let me go out and say....maybe 3 to 4 years at best. (And Eller put better numbers than De Le Rose at the same age in AHL).

One thing we do know now. Once Galchenyuk get down the middle, the odd-man out is Desharnais...no matter the numbers of chances DD is creating, being a center is a lot more than just creating chances and Eller is better at all those other things.
I have played years of competitive hockey. I can honestly say I would rather have
DD as my centerman...he makes plays to his wingers...he reads plays correctly.
As Pierre McGuire mentonned...Eller has never scored more than 20 goals at any level...CASE CLOSED...TRADE BAIT!!

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Best CENTER DEPTH we've had since a long long time, imo:

Pleks (re-sign him for 3-4 more seasons)
Galchenyuk (center)
Eller (center)
Hudon (center/winger)
DLR (center/winger)
McCarron (winger/center)

You do understand that Pleks will be 34-38 years old under that contract right? And that only one quarter of NHL forwards are over 30? How many no. 1 and 2 Centers are now 34 and over by the way? On contenders? And that it is unlikely that Hudon and big mac ever play C and very likely not above line 3? And that right now anyway, DLR is not projected to have top 6 offense?

This is not the best center depth Habs have had in a long time. It is the best third line center depth the Habs have had in a long time.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I have played years of competitive hockey. I can honestly say I would rather have
As Pierre McGuire mentonned...Eller has never scored more than 20 goals at any level...CASE CLOSED...TRADE BAIT!!

cool, so you can tell everyone what it's like to be a NHLer, cause well, you played some midget BB, you know... :nod:

you know Eller played over 60 games in a season (Intl comp included) for the first time when he flew over to play the AHL right ???

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
That's totally incorrect. You made it up. Eller had always had extremely minimal PP time.

No. St. Louis traded Eller because they wanted Halak. They let a valued player go to get him. They drafted Eller high because they valued his two way game.

You're simply inventing arguments with very little merit.

Groovejuice...check your facts...Gauthier wanted Oshie or Backes...but had to settle with a St-Louis reject...the Blues were disappointed with Eller thinking they were drafting a top 6 player, but realized after a few seasons that he had little offensive upside. Groovejuice...you know little about hockey talent...I suggest you try another sport.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Groovejuice...check your facts...Gauthier wanted Oshie or Backes...but had to settle with a St-Louis reject...the Blues were disappointed with Eller thinking they were drafting a top 6 player, but realized after a few seasons that he had little offensive upside. Groovejuice...you know little about hockey talent...I suggest you try another sport.

why do you lie ?

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
cool, so you can tell everyone what it's like to be a NHLer, cause well, you played some midget BB, you know... :nod:

you know Eller played over 60 games in a season (Intl comp included) for the first time when he flew over to play the AHL right ???

I certainly know more about hockey than you...your ideas and thoughts about the game show your limitations!!!

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
We already have 2-4 2nd line caliber centers in Plekanec, DD, Eller and Galchenyuk. We need a 1st line center.

Pleks: 34-38 years old in 2 years. Go find how many no 2C in NHL now at that age, on contenders.
DD: Show me 20 goals, and PO performance. Otherwise why is he on this list?
Eller: Maybe. Not looking likely to be a 50 point C. This thread is about offense from no 2C remember.
Galchenyuk: UH. OK. So guess you gave up on him at age 20 for no 1C. He's going to be Habs no 1C dude. There is no one else and no other choice.

Plus: Go out and acquire a no 1C. Or draft one in time for Habs window. Good luck.

Have to say. Worst post on this thread so far.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

The same Pierre McGuire that keep saying that there's not one team with any kind of interest towards Desharnais?

And Desharnais never scored 20 goals in the NHL either. Who gives a crap about how much goals they scored before getting to the big league. But that tells a lot about the deep thinking you put into this.

Seriously, you really would love DD to Eller comes playoff time......

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
His Plekanec 36yo ? Are we in 2020 ? No need to look for Pleks replacement before the end of his current contract.

No, his contract is up at end of next year, and he turns 34 in October 2016. Already older than probably 90% of no 1 and 2C in the league, at the beginning of his new contract if re-signed. No need to plan ahead if you're the GM of Montreal Canadiens. :shakehead

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...actually, you may want to check your facts; St. Louis didn't want to part with Eller and Gauthier, as much of a mook as he was, stuck to his guns and wouldn't swing the deal without Eller...and as for the disparaging remarks towards everyone who doesn't agree with you; well, that in itself speaks volumes...:laugh:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Pleks: 34-38 years old in 2 years. Go find how many no 2C in NHL now at that age, on contenders.

There are a bunch of successfull centers at 34+, your question is a trick one because you're putting a ton of restrictions (contenders, 2c, good, etc.)

List of successfull older centers on top of my head : Thornton, Marleau, Sedin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ribeiro, Fisher, Gomez (lmao... I hate this guy)...

No reason to doubt Pleks has 3 to 4 years left in the tank if not more.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I did checked my facts!!!

...actually, you may want to check your facts; St. Louis didn't want to part with Eller and Gauthier, as much of a mook as he was, stuck to his guns and wouldn't swing the deal without Eller...and as for the disparaging remarks towards everyone who doesn't agree with you; well, that in itself speaks volumes...:laugh:

WRONG Littledaddy!!!...Gauthier wanted Oshie or Backes...got Eller...because the Blues knew the Habs had decided they could no longer keep both Halak and Price. Gauthier painted himself into the corner with his public declarations...that is why he is no longer managing the Habs.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
No, his contract is up at end of next year, and he turns 34 in October 2016. Already older than probably 90% of no 1 and 2C in the league, at the beginning of his new contract if re-signed. No need to plan ahead if you're the GM of Montreal Canadiens. :shakehead

They are called prospects for a reason... you're talking about replacing him... just dumb, since it's not an actual need.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

there's a difference between planning and obsessing.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
If Chucky can't handle #1 center...team isn't going far regardless who is #2

Smart man. First one to identify my most basic and crucial assumption. You are correct. Because Habs sure won't be trading for , acquiring by UFA, or drafting a no 1 C.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
there's a difference between planning and obsessing.

You are confused. I'm not the one who has to plan, Bergevin does. I can obsess all I want. Yeah, and this is planning. If you think Bergy should not be thinking of this right now, then you have pretty low expectations of Habs GM. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad