Time to start looking for a no. 2 Center?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The center position on Habs should be very interesting to watch the next few years.

Habs centers have been an obsession of mine for a few years now. I've generally not been happy with them as a group at all, the low goal scoring from Habs centers especially is a constant problem I think. Habs low offensives production is not just a wing problem. I think at root it is a center problem.

In the next few years we may see some big changes to the center position, but I'm concerned that the Habs may end up missing an effective goal scoring no 2 center in 2-3 years. We may also need a strong offensive no. 2 to support a still young Galchenyuk at no 1.

This concern is mainly because it seems this year we are seeing evidence that Eller may never develop into a 20G-30A center as hoped, even with more opportunity.

Feel free to disagree with that of course, but if that is the case, in 2 years it leaves Habs with, on a contending team remember:

Galchenyuk. A young no. 1. Let's hope he blossoms. I think he will.

Pleks if re-signed. Not so young anymore by then. A no. 2B at that point. Will he be good enough offensively for a contender in that spot for 2-3 years? Not sure.

Eller. Perfect no 3. May not make the jump offensively to no. 2.

de la Rose: Projects to be a W, or a big smart tough no 3 C. Might even take Eller's job! But offensive upside is low apparently.

Big Mac: Too young, probably plays W anyway on line 3.

Hudon. Also too young and likely a 3rd line W also.

Possibly no real goal scoring young no. 2 C in the system. Interesting.

I've said in other threads this should be on Bergy's list starting this summer. Something to work on over the next two years if he can't make a deal right away. And there are higher priorities right now.

This also becomes a very important discussion as Pleks is UFA after next year. Sign or move him?

And if DLR develops well, should Habs move Eller if he stalls where he is?

Many interesting questions at the Center position.

MB can't acquire a no. 1 center, but he can acquire a young no. 2 center if he's crafty and plans ahead. Should Bergy start planning ahead? Does he need to?

Last edited:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
The center position on Habs should be very interesting to watch the next few years.

Habs centers have been an obsession of mine for a few years now. I've generally not been happy with them as a group at all, the low goal scoring from Habs centers especially is a constant problem I think. Habs low offensives production is not just a wing problem. I think at root it is a center problem.

In the next few years we may see some big changes to the center position, but I'm concerned that the Habs may end up missing an effective goal scoring no 2 center in 2-3 years. We may also need a strong offensive no. 2 to support a still young Galchenyuk at no 1.

This concern is mainly because it seems this year we are seeing evidence that Eller may never develop into a 20G-30A center as hoped, even with more opportunity.

Feel free to disagree with that of course, but if that is the case, in 2 years it leaves Habs with, on a contending team remember:

Galchenyuk. A young no. 1. Let's hope he blossoms. I think he will.

Pleks if re-signed. Not so young anymore by then. A no. 2B at that point. Will he be good enough offensively for a contender in that spot for 2-3 years? Not sure.

Eller. Perfect no 3. May not make the jump offensively to no. 2.

de la Rose: Projects to be a W, or a big smart tough no 3 C. Might even take Eller's job! But offensive upside is low apparently.

Big Mac: Too young, probably plays W anyway on line 3.

Hudon. Also too young and likely a 3rd line W also.

Possibly no real goal scoring young no. 2 C in the system. Interesting.

I've said in other threads this should be on Bergy's list starting this summer. Something to work on over the next two years if he can't make a deal right away. And there are higher priorities right now.

This also becomes a very important discussion when Pleks is UFA after next year. Sign or move him?

And if DLR develops well, should Habs move Eller if he stalls where he is?

Many interesting questions at the Center position.

MB can't acquire a no. 1 center, but he can acquire a young no. 2 center if he's crafty and plans ahead. Should Bergy start planning ahead? Does he need to?

Seriously Chuck-ROR-Eller would be so solid down the C for a very long time.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Seriously Chuck-ROR-Eller would be so solid down the C for a very long time.

Or Chuck ROR DLR. DLR is smarter than Eller I have heard. Eller could fetch a very good return.

Yeah either way I would be very ****ing Happy if Bergy put that together.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Galch
Pleks
Eller

is perfectly fine as a top-9 C group. Galch, should he actually get to play the position and continue to progress, will quickly become a very good -if not great- #1 C.

Pleks is already a very good #2C, and few teams have a 3rd line C with Eller's mix of ability/potential.

What we need much more desperately, is 1 quality top-6 Winger and ideally a 2nd quality top-9 winger.

Patches - Galch - Gallagher
XX1 - Pleks - Sekac
XX2 - Eller - Parenteau
Prust - Maholtra - Weise
Bournival

XX1 -> a player of P.Sharp/P.Marleau/ROR caliber
XX2 -> a player like Brouwer/Vermette or a high-risk/high-reward young guy like Kassian/Yakupov

That, and a top-4 Dman (M.Green, Z.Bogosian or high-risk/high-reward youth like A.Larsson, and we'd be set for a nice stretch of contending… with enough young talent transitioning into the lineup over the next 2-4 years (Tinordi, Nygren, Bennett, Scherbak, McCarron, Hudon et.)

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Or Chuck ROR DLR. DLR is smarter than Eller I have heard. Eller could fetch a very good return.

Plus any of those guys can shuffle to Wing if needed.

You build through the middle and on the backend to win cups.

ROR would IMO put us over the edge.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Galch
Pleks
Eller

is perfectly fine as a top-9 C group. Galch, should he actually get to play the position and continue to progress, will quickly become a very good -if not great- #1 C.

Pleks is already a very good #2C, and few teams have a 3rd line C with Eller's mix of ability/potential.

What we need much more desperately, is 1 quality top-6 Winger and ideally a 2nd quality top-9 winger.

XX1 - Pleks - Sekac
XX2 - Eller - Parenteau
Prust - Maholtra - Weise
Bournival

XX2 -> a player like Brouwer/Vermette or a high-risk/high-reward young guy like Kassian/Yakupov

That, and a top-4 Dman (M.Green, Z.Bogosian or high-risk/high-reward youth like A.Larsson, and we'd be set for a nice stretch of contending… with enough young talent transitioning into the lineup over the next 2-4 years (Tinordi, Nygren, Bennett, Scherbak, McCarron, Hudon et.)

Adding Kassian and ROR would be huge for this team (Pun intended)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Chucky, Eller and Plek is perfect.

Gallagher, Parenteau and Weise is not. Either bump up Andrighetto and hope he picks it up and get someone to replace Softy on the third line or get a 1st line winger.

Pacioretty-DD-Sekac-Prust-Bournival is also pretty weak.

Bump up Sekac, get someone more fit for the third line.

Common trend : DD and Softy both need to go.

Kassian is also a total bust and he'll be a fourth liner for the rest of his career. Brouwer is a much better addition.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I would love ROR on the habs:

He can fill our need (for now) as the 2nd line LW. Chucky should be playing centre, whether MT wants him to or not, that's what he was drafted as and that's what we need him to be. So our 2nd line LW spot opens up. ROR fills that void, for the time being. As the OP pointed out, our centre depth doesn't look amazing long term.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
ROR-Galchenyuk-Sekac

When Galchenyuk gets 'comfortable' and can slide into our number 1 centre slot (may be another year or so) ROR slides over and one of our upcoming wingers fills the void on the 2nd line. The nice thing about Sekac is that he can play either wing. In a year or 2:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Sherbak
Sekac-ROR-Gallagher
DLR-Eller-McCarron

Those are 3 great, young lines to carry the team for a while.

Cost-wise, I wouldn't think twice about moving Emelin+Andrighetto+Fucale/1st/

Looking at other threads, the COL fans seem to have zero interest in Emelin. I'm on the fence about including Tinordi or Beaulieu..

PricePkPatch*

Plek is a better C than ROR right now. But ROR has the potential of being way better.

Swapping the two, somehow, is doing a double or nothing on our 2C future. It could turn us into a legacy team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Plek is a better C than ROR right now. But ROR has the potential of being way better.

Swapping the two, somehow, is doing a double or nothing on our 2C future. It could turn us into a legacy team.

And we'd be bringing in a known locker room problem in a trade against one of our top leaders and most beloved teammates.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Galch
Pleks
Eller

XX1 - Pleks - Sekac
XX2 - Eller - Parenteau
Prust - Maholtra - Weise
Bournival

I agree with this.

Our biggest gap right now is a top 4 RHD and a top 6 RW. We should try to develop a future #2 to replace Plekanec internally through the draft, or in Free Agency when Plekanec is done (I personally think he has at least 3 more years to play at a #2 level).

PricePkPatch*

And we'd be bringing in a known locker room problem in a trade against one of our top leaders and most beloved teammates.

Yhea. As i said, its double-down. Risky move with high reward potential.

Oct 22, 2012
I'm not so sure Eller has been given same opportunity as our other centers to produce, I'd be interested to know what his even strength stats say. Its a weird situation, our coach/gm say that players are rewarded if they force their hands, but at the same time how can he produce if he isn't given same quality line mates. Id also be interested in what quality matchups he is getting compared to others. Defensively he is solid. We know that much.

I want a dependable scoring #2 center as well, and we also know its not Pleks but he is valuable is other regards.We don't know how Eller would be in the same role, he could be a decent option or could just be what I'm thinking he is and that's a hard working defensive center who can chip in from time to time because he has the skills. With that said, we should definitely have a solid third line center for years to come. Who knows? Whos to say Pleks won't take a pay cut for a reduced role if he is on the decline.

Ultimately, I'd like one of those two to be our 3rd line center in 2-3 years while the other is used towards an upgrade. I doubt it will be this year, as mentioned there are other priorities. Then again, until ROR is traded/signed, this could all be a reality in a months time.

PricePkPatch*

My hyperbolic posting style ? :laugh:

Would you rather a potential locker room problem ?

Where do you draw the idea that he is a potential locker room problem?

Where do you see smoke? Or you just pulled it out of your ass..umptions?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Don't we have enough centers already? What we're lacking is a top 6 winger and a top 4 dman. How many times do we have to repeat this before you get it?

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Habs have a few hole to plug. Need grit and skill on the back end to replace Gilbert/Weaver. Need a more complete type center to take Eller's spot and more skills and grit on the RW.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I assume Eller would have to be in a package for ROR. Eller and Emelin?

I love Eller, but O'Reilly would give the Habs a shutdown centre that can also produce. Strength down the middle is key.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, there was this whole country club thing going on before Roy came along and two the hold outs to get more than market value.

Then there's the whole Minnesota thing, thats pretty drama-like :laugh:

Obviously, like all things we are speculating and we have no idea at all about the ins and out of the locker rooms in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad