Time to Sign Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hopefully they reach a deal quickly. Subban's a big part of the team now and in the future and needs to be signed to a deal quickly, hopefully long term.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Rick Moffat ‏@RickMoffat
PK's got meeting in Don Meehan's office tomorrow, won't comment before then. #git'erdone!

habscup*

Rick Moffat ‏@RickMoffat
PK's got meeting in Don Meehan's office tomorrow, won't comment before then. #git'erdone!

There won't be any training camp guys, its straight to business. We're january not september.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
BrianWilde ‏@BWildeCTV
Just got confirmation from league source. GMs can't do contract talk until Tuesday ratification.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Rick Moffat ‏@RickMoffat

I wouldn't be surprized is Meehan and Bergevin are talking today. Maybe 2-3 offers floated depending on years the team/player want. I would love a 4-5 yaer deal but for some reason Bergevin and co only wanted 1-2...maybe the Amnesty lock out makes it aesier to sign him long term(and a bigger cap hit as a result).

Myron Gaines*

I wouldn't be surprized is Meehan and Bergevin are talking today. Maybe 2-3 offers floated depending on years the team/player want. I would love a 4-5 yaer deal but for some reason Bergevin and co only wanted 1-2...maybe the Amnesty lock out makes it aesier to sign him long term(and a bigger cap hit as a result).

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a basic deal done before the lockout, but were waiting for the new CBA terms. I don' think they'll have much to negociate.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, a couple weeks ago when asked about it on sportsnet he didn't seem concerned about getting a deal done. On twitter today he had some comments with stubbs I think it was, where he said he wants to stay in Montreal long term and that the balls in Montreal's court. Seems like it's the same as back in the summer he wants long term deal, MB want's 2 year deal

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This is Bergevins first real test. If we lose pk it will be a major blow and sign of things to come.

I wonder what caused people to ever believe that Bergevin was in fear of losing PK Subban. There's a team that won the Stanley Cup last season whose top young defenceman didn't sign until camp already started.

Anyway, Meehan will suggest him to take a deal that puts him negotiating for a contract again in the summer of 2014, when Kaberle, Markov and Gionta are UFA that way he can demand an eight year contract at around $5-6M per.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Don Meehan: "I will arrange to meet with PK tomorrow and then speak with Bergevin. We will meet once we have necessary authority to do so."

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I would look to move subban if we received a nice return..this team desperately needs another top line forward.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Subban should have signed before the CBA expired...if he wanted more money then, he certainly won't be getting it now.

Yes he will. Once Kaberle and Markov's contracts expire, Subban can ask for pretty much whatever he wants to.

The word is that Bergevin wants to sign him short term to give him the opportunity to sign for what his value is when Markov and Kaberle are gone. Subban wants the long term stability now, and value priced now. One side just has to budge. It's best for Subban to take the two year.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
They have one, it's just he won Gold at the World Juniors and is about a half season away.

Still need another though, not that I'm in the "trade Subban" camp at all. Odds are that player is acquired in the upcoming draft, I'm hoping we get a short at Barkov personally.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Yes he will. Once Kaberle and Markov's contracts expire, Subban can ask for pretty much whatever he wants to.

The word is that Bergevin wants to sign him short term to give him the opportunity to sign for what his value is when Markov and Kaberle are gone. Subban wants the long term stability now, and value priced now. One side just has to budge. It's best for Subban to take the two year.

So instead of 2 years sign him 8 years at 4 million. PK wants long term there ya go.

:sarcasm:

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
They have one, it's just he won Gold at the World Juniors and is about a half season away.

absolutely. I believe defensive depth is our strength, and wouldn't be upset if someone overpaid for subban. that's all.

I really think we can win without subban..especially with markov. Granted, with markov, subban could be molded and shaped in to a similar player which would exceed my expectations of subban.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

You mean the word 4 months ago? Last word I heard was they weren't allowed to talk until a new CBA was ratified.

Personally I think Bergevin should take advantage of a newer and smaller cap hit and sign Subban long term now...little cap is available right now and if Subban wants a long term deal like he wanted before the old CBA expired, he'll have to sign with the bit of cap space available to us right now.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
absolutely. I believe defensive depth is our strength, and wouldn't be upset if someone overpaid for subban. that's all.

I really think we can win without subban..especially with markov. Granted, with markov, subban could be molded and shaped in to a similar player which would exceed my expectations of subban.

Depth wins Cups. This is a fact proven by every team that has won the Cup in the last several years. You cannot win a Stanley Cup unless you have top six players on your third line and a defenceman who might be able to play 20+ minutes playing less because he's on the third pairing. While I don't like the Toronto method of stacking up on defensive prospects because their maturity level is going to be in question (the Rangers have incredible young D but their maturity often stifles), Montreal is going nowhere without Subban.

I would prefer a veteran Subban when Beaulieu and Tinordi come in, especially since Markov is now and for the rest of his career cannot be relied upon to play 82 games.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Markov is 34 and Subban is only 23 and imo better than Markov already. Unless Markov puts up a decent amount of points, quarterbacks the PP like he used to and plays solid defence, there is no way I want to see Subban traded.

Players like Subban are the kind of young players you build around...not develop them into proven players only to trade them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad