Speculation: Time to move Byron?

Time to trade Lord Byron?

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
14 Picks!:biglaugh:

If things don't want with next year's picks, Bergevin would make 43 selections in 4 years.
He's hoping to hit big on those 4th and 5th round picks.

I like that he used 3 this year in trades to get his guy.

Interesting that we only used 8 if the 14 we had coming in....

I would be happy to use some of those 4ths and 5ths to move Byron.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What about something around James Neal for Paul Byron. Neal has size and around 20 goals, but cost 2.35 mil more. They both have 3 years left on their contracts.
I would want a 1st to take on Neal's deal. We'll need the cap space and he's 33, should decline.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I like that he used 3 this year in trades to get his guy.

Interesting that we only used 8 if the 14 we had coming in....

I would be happy to use some of those 4ths and 5ths to move Byron.

All those late round picks aren't making an impact for another 3 to 4 years and next year's picks in 5. Weber, Price, Petry, Gallagher will all be done. I understand they are building for the future and I want them to do so, but what bugs me is that, in 9 drafts Bergevin has not gotten a single extra first. What's more infuriating is that, we missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. No wonder we don't have impact players or goal scorers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
All those late round picks aren't making an impact for another 3 to 4 years and next year's picks in 5. Weber, Price, Petry, Gallagher will all be done. I understand they are building for the future and I want them to do so, but what bugs me is that, in 9 drafts Bergevin has gotten a single extra first. What's more infuriating is that, we missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. No wonder we don't have impact players or goal scorers.

Yeah for sure.

I really wanted us to move Domi and or Tatar for 1sts, then use the ufa market to replace them. But I'm happy with getting Anderson - if he can stay healthy.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Byron doesn't have much value right now in compared to what some of you think. With almost an AAV of 4M$, his age and recent decline I am a bit woried on how hard it could be to move him. Very hard.

Edit: Don't forget, most teams are not looking forward to add cap space. Old*, small and bad last season. Gloomy

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Depends. If healthy, Paulie's a valuable player. But if we can replace him with a good player and improve our long term cap situation, then why not?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
The best time to trade him was 18 months ago.

The next best time to get rid of him is now.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The best time to trade him was 18 months ago.

The next best time to get rid of him is now.
Bergy's style, hang on too long, and makes it worse by giving said player too much money.....we all knew it at the time, and yet .............amazing how MB still has a job, he is sure lucky his boss is busy with condos...and not his hockey team.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
If the plan is to become grittier, trade him for anything and lure Patrick Maroon or similar players. Heck, I would bring back Thompson too

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If we need to clear space to improve our forwards I would expect we'd trade Tatar to make room, it would be hard to trade a bottom six guy like Byron with the current cap situation, however a guy like Tatar with only one year left could be appealing for teams who miss out on adding offensive help. In addition he's only owed $3.2M in actual cash this year which would be very appealing for teams, seeing how Bergevin wants to make the team tougher to play against I would think Tatar isn't in the long-term plans.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think Byron has much value on a trade market at this moment unless we retain money or take back a bad contract. So there's little point in trying to deal him right now. His value will probably go up as his contract gets closer to the end and he's a player that if you really need to you can move easily enough.

So unless we can sign a big name UFA we may as well keep him.

Reactions: Archijerej

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't think Byron has much value on a trade market at this moment unless we retain money or take back a bad contract. So there's little point in trying to deal him right now. His value will probably go up as his contract gets closer to the end and he's a player that if you really need to you can move easily enough.

Must be able to get a pick or 2 still for him. MB could still get a ufa and then put him out there,same thing with BG on an expiring contract,he will be too expensive next contract. Should get Tyler Johnson as he's locked in for a while at 5 and he can play C or RW

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If we get a 5-6M dollar UFA, what do you think it takes to move Byron's full salary? A 2nd? A 3rd? A 2nd and a 3rd?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
If we can get one of Hall, Toffoli, Dadonov of Hoffman signed it would be great to keep Byron on the 4th line with 1st PK duties but on that role he can be replaced by a player with a smaller cap hit quite easily.

Trading Byron might be hard though without having to retain...
You can’t keep Byron and Lekhonen, choose the younger player. IMO the times of carrying smallish non-scoring forwards is over so I’d like to get rid of both, same with Weal, heck I’d add Mete to the list too, but I don’t expect a clear out.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
14 Picks!:biglaugh:

If things don't want with next year's picks, Bergevin would make 43 selections in 4 years.
He's hoping to hit big on those 4th and 5th round picks.
Many great players have come out of these rounds, and they about the easiest to acquire

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
You can get 3 better players in today’s market for what we are paying Byron, absolutely no chance he has trade value. Would need to add a big sweetener, like probably a 1st or a 2nd with a good prospect, take back a cap dump or buy him out - if that is even still an option?

PP Subban

Nov 9, 2006
It’s not that the Habs don’t need Byron it’s the fact that they don’t need his 3.4m cap hit on the 3rd or 4th line for the next 3 years. I think he’s a solid player And brings a great effort level every night and is well respected in the room. He’s also had some trouble staying healthy.

I don’t mind the Habs moving him as long as after this season they aren’t playing someone worse than him on the 3rd line. Basically if Tatar leaves via FA and management doesn’t replace him with a top 6 winger then I think Byron has to stay for at least another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00