Speculation: Time to move Byron?

Time to trade Lord Byron?

• Total voters

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
He was solid in the playoff this year. I still think he hold value with that speed and the fact he always play well defensively, I'm expecting a bounce back season for him, like 15g+ 15a+.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
3.4m is highly paid for a 3rd liner who produce usually 20-20 and play solid defensively? Honest question here
He won’t play 3rd line this year. That’s the problem
Armia and leks are on the 3rd line
So yes It’s too much for a 4th liner

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Yes because teams want to spend money on first liners who produces 30-30 or 40-40.

How many first line player are available right now? Byron is still a solid 3rd line options for teams like the Sens/LA/Detroit/Minny/NJ.

I believe one of them could bite on that type of player, I might be wrong....

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He won’t play 3rd line this year. That’s the problem
Armia and leks are on the 3rd line
So yes It’s too much for a 4th liner

And that's awesome. Anyone who wants to see Byron in the top 9 going forward must be happy with the last 5 years...
We should move on as he might still hold some value, before he becomes a Cap problem. We should have capitalized on his value when he scored 20 goals, it's not like he's gonna be a part of the future anyway and he might have returned a 2nd or something

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
I love Ti Paul... trade Gallagher that's one useless overrated player.

Lmao, he's led the team in goals each of the last 3 seasons at a 3.75M cap hit but he is useless.
If Gallagher is useless, what does that say about the rest of the team? Steaming trash.
And this is coming from a guy who has been calling for a Gallagher trade.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
We have 14 picks in the next draft and Weal is only an 800k cap hit if put in the minors. We could definitely move him with a pick. My guess is a 3rd would do it. But maybe a 4th or later does.
14 Picks!:biglaugh:

If things don't want with next year's picks, Bergevin would make 43 selections in 4 years.
He's hoping to hit big on those 4th and 5th round picks.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
And that's awesome. Anyone who wants to see Byron in the top 9 going forward must be happy with the last 5 years...
We should move on as he might still hold some value, before he becomes a Cap problem. We should have capitalized on his value when he scored 20 goals, it's not like he's gonna be a part of the future anyway and he might have returned a 2nd or something
You realize he scores more goals than any other winger not named Gallagher or Tatar when he’s healthy , right?

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
$11M in cap space with only Anderson and Mete to sign. I answered 'maybe' because it depends on where Anderson's AAV ends up, and whether or not the Habs are still looking to add a player.

If the cap space is there, I prefer they keep Byron despite what line he starts the season on because there will be injuries and slumps and Byron can play up and down the lineup.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Lmao, he's led the team in goals each of the last 3 seasons at a 3.75M cap hit but he is useless.
If Gallagher is useless, what does that say about the rest of the team? Steaming trash.
And this is coming from a guy who has been calling for a Gallagher trade.

Give Ti Paul that same PP opportunities and that top 6 Minutes and he would out perform that overrated Gally.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
It's pretty obvious we're not signing any player that is going to be much better than Byron.

I don't see much logic in dealing him. Management wants to compete so we'll keep him.

Reactions: Archijerej

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Byron is a 30+ years old, injury-riddled, 5'7 4th line winger with 3 years remaining at his 3.4M a season contract. Let that settle in for a second. He's a one-trick poney, and any team can sign a Grabner or a Cousins to a 1 year, 1M deal on the UFA market and get more or less what Byron gives you.

He's a below average player on a horrible contract and sorry to break it to some of you, but no GM in his right mind would give anything of significance for him. He's this team next buyout candidate.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Considering Bergevin wants to win now, they will most likely keep him but imo he should have been traded 2 years ago at his peak.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No, its a god awful time to move Byron:

1) Nobody has money or cap space, if you move him you're praying it turns into a Bonino type deal where you move the much better veteran and good picks for a young guy that's been very disappointing in the NHL.
2) He struggled with health issues during the season which might depressed his value.
3) He was great in the bubble and looked like he can still be very good.
4) He's a leader, one of Montreal's better ES point producers, Montreal's best PKer and plays up and down the line-up with ease.

I'm not even a little interested in seeing Montreal pay for another team to make them worse.

Reactions: Archijerej

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Considering Bergevin wants to win now, they will most likely keep him but imo he should have been traded 2 years ago at his peak.

That's a signing I never understood. He's a niche guy exactly like Weise was on his first stint with us. You rentabilize those or let them go.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If we can move him and find a cheaper, adequate replacement, sure, why not.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
He's not the same player anymore and now has injury problems and a bad contract. Trade him for a grittier player with less term.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
3.4m is highly paid for a 3rd liner who produce usually 20-20 and play solid defensively? Honest question here

Usually? He did it twice in career only. Usually Byron does 15-30. Nobody said it's highly paid it's just too much for a winning team with the flat cap and losing teams probably wont be interesting since he doesn't have much experience. There's better option as a vet to help kids.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
What about something around James Neal for Paul Byron. Neal has size and around 20 goals, but cost 2.35 mil more. They both have 3 years left on their contracts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2