Time to hit the panic button?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
There are no magic bullets. Making panic driven deals leads to:

Beauchemin, Wright and Marchant for Fedorov and a 5th round pick

Glencross for Tarnstrom

Chimera for Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina

In season deals by desperate teams usually lead to those types of trades.

One of these isn't like the others. Hint: it's the one that involved adding a ton of salary for no real reason.

Glencross for Tarnstrom was a case of trading a guy on the fourth line for a power play QB defenseman to be able to add some offense on a possible playoff team.

Chimera for a batch of cookies would have been fine too; he's someone who was basically useless, unless one's value is determined by ability to kill offense by not knowing the offside rule after eight years in the NHL.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Well we are now officially the worst team in the NHL. :cheers:

I'll bet Buffalo fans are pretty pissed. They probably thought it would be a cakewalk to the first pick in the draft. Pity the fools for not thinking the CBJ would find a way to spoil their draft party.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Sounds like a familiar narrative. New GM takes over from a hated former GM and inherits a coach. Team nearly makes the playoffs in new GM's first season, then makes it in the second year but doesn't escape the first round. There's a lengthy losing streak in the third season that leads to questions about whether the entire thing was just smoke and mirrors and who should bear the blame for a sudden deep collapse.

There are, of course, obvious differences. One inherited a total mess with little on the roster and nothing in the system. One had to make a ton of moves to get the team into a playoff position at all, the other was able to trade away the team's most talented offensive player for nothing and still make it.

Of course, plenty regard the decision to fire the most successful coach in team history or make a really minor trade simply because of a losing streak to have been a cataclysmic mistake that only a bumbling first-time GM could ever make.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
One of these isn't like the others. Hint: it's the one that involved adding a ton of salary for no real reason.

Glencross for Tarnstrom was a case of trading a guy on the fourth line for a power play QB defenseman to be able to add some offense on a possible playoff team.

Chimera for a batch of cookies would have been fine too; he's someone who was basically useless, unless one's value is determined by ability to kill offense by not knowing the offside rule after eight years in the NHL.

Yet in each of these trades Columbus gave up at least one player who is STILL serviceable and in the NHL and received no one who still is in the League. Please don't let your fondness for previous management force you to defend really desperate moves.

Even great GMs like Ken Holland only bat about .500 on all trades and when you consider even they rarely make desperation moves the batting average for this type of trade - one made from weakness -is even worse.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This team seems quite a bit more fragile than we're used to from prior years. We're not completely out of it judging by performances from the past two years, but three years like this in a row definitely isn't encouraging. Growing pains, maybe? I'm not sure if we're still the youngest team in the NHL after picking up Leopold, but we're still in that neighborhood.

Not going to panic per se; we don't need to Blow It Up. But the defense is in much worse shape than I would ever have guessed. :( I was thinking of trading Tyutin next offseason, but now I'm convinced that would be a serious mistake; the kids haven't learned nearly enough yet to offset his absence. And while I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the crap JJ is going through, he's playing like he's depressed and that's not helping. Maybe Richards should start suggesting that he treat the opposition like they're those ursurious bankers his parents got involved with or something. :)

Seriously bad situation, but it can get better. If worst comes to worst, we do have enough talented youth such that "wait until next year" is actually a potentially legitimate thing rather than a cheapass excuse. :) That doesn't make it any easier to watch the games, tho. :(

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
All of the injuries have derailed this team. A relatively healthy team (with Horton playing too) would, hopefully, be sitting in a much better position right now. While it would be easy to panic, I think it will be best to ride it out at least until the trade deadline. No need to make any moves unless Jarmo can fleece MacT. :D Maybe we can make an upgrade or two at the deadline and start preparing for next year. Until then, I hope we can score a goal or two. :)

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Unfortunately and surprisingly, we opened the season terribly and have struggled ever since. Disappointing is not a strong enough word. Our goal as an organization is to build a team that wins consistently and competes for the Stanley Cup. Anything less is unacceptable!

John P. McConnell

image.jpg

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
No, we opened the season quite promising, but the injury bug wasn't close to letting up and the response was too paltry

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Front office (if I recall correctly) was given 3 years for "retooling", we have seen all sunrises with playoff games and now sunset bottom of league with possible tanking for unreal pick, future NHL's top franchise player. Unbelievable times, I feel like a child in fairytale Cinderella, really :laugh: ( office is doing fantastic job :thumbu:)

Scarlett_Johansson_As_Cinderella_Wallpaper_3027.jpg

But now I'm nervous was last year's playoff real moment when "Cinderella became so enchanted by him ( prince) she lost track of time and left only at the final stroke of midnight, losing one of her glass slippers on the steps of the palace in her haste" or only déjà vu 2009? And what about prince? Will he come back with our glass slipper?

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Front office (if I recall correctly) was given 3 years for "retooling", we have seen all sunrises with playoff games and now sunset bottom of league with possible tanking for unreal pick, future NHL's top franchise player. Unbelievable times, I feel like a child in fairytale Cinderella, really :laugh: ( office is doing fantastic job :thumbu:)

Scarlett_Johansson_As_Cinderella_Wallpaper_3027.jpg

But now I'm nervous was last year's playoff real moment when "Cinderella became so enchanted by him ( prince) she lost track of time and left only at the final stroke of midnight, losing one of her glass slippers on the steps of the palace in her haste" or only déjà vu 2009? And what about prince? Will he come back with our glass slipper?

Can't say I mind the poetics of taking these metaphors for a very long ride, but having some trouble landing on where sarcasm may or may not play into your post here. Your thumbs up, for instance. I don't think the FO is doing very well, but if you're happy to see the team finish poorly in order to get a super good player (which does require some faith in the process and the eventual outcome, while disregarding the damage that tanking can do to young psyches), then I guess you like their performance.

Be that as it may, you said we started off poorly but I say we started off quite well; then we got injured, and then the fun really started.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Can't say I mind the poetics of taking these metaphors for a very long ride, but having some trouble landing on where sarcasm may or may not play into your post here. Your thumbs up, for instance. I don't think the FO is doing very well, but if you're happy to see the team finish poorly in order to get a super good player (which does require some faith in the process and the eventual outcome, while disregarding the damage that tanking can do to young psyches), then I guess you like their performance.

Be that as it may, you said we started off poorly but I say we started off quite well; then we got injured, and then the fun really started.
but we're not tanking? what moves has the FO made that even remotely point towards tanking?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I think the very best thing the team, front office and coaching staff can do at this low point is to build for the future. How? By staying the course and re-building the attitude and culture that surrounds the team. Work to regain the confident, winning attitute they carried for the past two years. Forecheck like madmen, finish checks, take away space from opponents, decide to win board battles, grind out nasty greasy goals and let the chips fall where they may. They are not likely to make the playoffs but they can salvage the season. I believe much more is to be gained by recapturing their identity and building momentum for next year than they can gain by tanking, quitting, blowing things up or making desperation moves.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Everyone's in the same camp: build for the future. The only debate is how do you build for the future? Focus on winning immediately to restore the winning culture, or focus on re-building the talent pool through moving mature assets for youth?

In my view, we don't really have a shortage of talent in the system. It's patchy in places (especially on defence if Murray continues to struggle with injuries), but mostly just young. That talent needs a good environment, good teaching, and time.

Of course if I had a tolerance towards tanking and trying for McEichel, I might have a different view.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
We don't need a rebuild, we don't even need a (big) retool. We don't need more future assets. Sell off 1 or 2 guys tops (Atkinson, Anisimov, JMFJ, etc.) and maybe package them with prospects or draft picks (save 2015 1st) for upgrades to the top 6/top 4 D. Finish off the season, reassess at the draft.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We don't need a rebuild, we don't even need a (big) retool. We don't need more future assets. Sell off 1 or 2 guys tops (Atkinson, Anisimov, JMFJ, etc.) and maybe package them with prospects or draft picks (save 2015 1st) for upgrades to the top 6/top 4 D. Finish off the season, reassess at the draft.

Pretty much, yes.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So if it is not time to panic/give up/focus on the draft here is a look at December's schedule:

Dec 1 FLA
Dec 4 @FLA
Dec 6 @TB
Dec 9 PHI
Dec 11 @WAS
Dec 13 PIT
Dec 16 @DET
Dec 18 WAS
Dec 20 CHI
Dec 22 NSH
Dec 27 BOS
Dec 31 MIN

Relatively easy game bolded

Tossups Underlined

The rest decided underdogs

A split (2-2-1) in the easy/tossup games gets us 5 points

Maybe an upset along the way which could be offset by an extra loss in the easy/tossups and things look to get worse before they get better.

Best case in my mind is 8 points though those 5 in a row at home to close out the month could help. The worst? I'd rather not say (<6?)

Either way if things don't turn quickly it will definitely be time to look to next year.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If ever there was a year to tank this is it, but I give your fan base much credit for not wanting to. If you don't make the playoffs I hope you get the winning lottery number because your fan base deserves it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So if it is not time to panic/give up/focus on the draft here is a look at December's schedule:

Dec 1 FLA
Dec 4 @FLA
Dec 6 @TB
Dec 9 PHI
Dec 11 @WAS
Dec 13 PIT
Dec 16 @DET
Dec 18 WAS
Dec 20 CHI
Dec 22 NSH
Dec 27 BOS
Dec 31 MIN

Relatively easy game bolded

Tossups Underlined

The rest decided underdogs

A split (2-2-1) in the easy/tossup games gets us 5 points

Maybe an upset along the way which could be offset by an extra loss in the easy/tossups and things look to get worse before they get better.

Best case in my mind is 8 points though those 5 in a row at home to close out the month could help. The worst? I'd rather not say (<6?)

Either way if things don't turn quickly it will definitely be time to look to next year.

This month is definitely the turning point for this team, if things don't turn around relatively quick in De December the season is over. There's a lot of division games in the second half of the season, but if we've lost to many non division games it's not going to matter because we won't have the points. We NEED players healthy and to stay healthy this month or we're done, no if ands or buts.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
There is no reason to debate any kind of deliberate "tanking". The way they are playing, which is nothing short of terrible, will take care of the tanking issue.

Frankly, I am astonished. I never ever thought it would be this bad. It is like going in a time machine back to the really bad old days. Unfortunately I think TR will get fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad