Time to hit the panic button?

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Sounds like a familiar narrative. New GM takes over from a hated former GM and inherits a coach. Team nearly makes the playoffs in new GM's first season, then makes it in the second year but doesn't escape the first round. There's a lengthy losing streak in the third season that leads to questions about whether the entire thing was just smoke and mirrors and who should bear the blame for a sudden deep collapse.

There are, of course, obvious differences. One inherited a total mess with little on the roster and nothing in the system. One had to make a ton of moves to get the team into a playoff position at all, the other was able to trade away the team's most talented offensive player for nothing and still make it.

Of course, plenty regard the decision to fire the most successful coach in team history or make a really minor trade simply because of a losing streak to have been a cataclysmic mistake that only a bumbling first-time GM could ever make.

That's some low hanging fruit.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Yet in each of these trades Columbus gave up at least one player who is STILL serviceable and in the NHL and received no one who still is in the League. Please don't let your fondness for previous management force you to defend really desperate moves.

Even great GMs like Ken Holland only bat about .500 on all trades and when you consider even they rarely make desperation moves the batting average for this type of trade - one made from weakness -is even worse.

There is no planet on which trading a fourth-liner in Glencross could be considered a "desperate move", let alone a "really desperate move". Glencross was underwhelming enough that Edmonton didn't bother with a qualifying offer (of $575K). Nor is there a planet where trading Chimera under any circumstances could be "desperate".

Fondness for management has nothing to do with it; I despised MacLean and still believe he was awful, yet I'll defend the moves that he made that deserve praise.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
With two winning CBJ seasons to his credit to Hitch's one, isn't TR the "most successful coach in team history?"

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
There is no planet on which trading a fourth-liner in Glencross could be considered a "desperate move", let alone a "really desperate move". Glencross was underwhelming enough that Edmonton didn't bother with a qualifying offer (of $575K). Nor is there a planet where trading Chimera under any circumstances could be "desperate".

Fondness for management has nothing to do with it; I despised MacLean and still believe he was awful, yet I'll defend the moves that he made that deserve praise.

You know very well the Chimera trade was an attempt to shake up the room because the team was playing so poorly. Howson even came out and said he was trying to get some leadership in Clark.

You also know the Glencross trade was made because once again the team was slipping in the standings and Howson wanted to change up the Power Play. As an aside, Glencross was a Group Six UFA* so the Oilers didn't have rights to make a qualifying offer. In fact, according to reports at the time they did try to sign him.

In both cases, Howson was trying to find a way to stop the bleeding.

*This is a CBA fine point.Group Six Free Agents are players over 25 years old, have completed 3 seasons and played less than 80 NHL games.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Sadly this thread is now obsolete. The time to panic is in the rear-view mirror. Twelve points behind the Rangers, and even further for the wild-card leaves us on the outside looking in. It would take an unprecedented miracle for us to make the play-offs this year, and I just don't see it happening at this point.

Bring on the draft thread.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Sadly this thread is now obsolete. The time to panic is in the rear-view mirror. Twelve points behind the Rangers, and even further for the wild-card leaves us on the outside looking in. It would take an unprecedented miracle for us to make the play-offs this year, and I just don't see it happening at this point.

I agree. Rangers have a good team. Now have Stepan & McDonagh back. I don't see them faltering. Isles appear to be real deal and if they flop we'd still have to pass the Caps & Devils.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I too think the time to hit the panic button has now passed. I will, however, continue to support the team, it is a long season and I am old enough to know that anything can happen. Will they make the playoffs? Probably not, but I am willing to be surprised.

I am going to the game tonight and will continue to go, just for the love of the game and to root for the CBJ

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well I am going to continue to support them and go to the games because I have season tickets. Kind of makes any debate moot.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Well I am going to continue to support them and go to the games because I have season tickets. Kind of makes any debate moot.

I am in the same boat.

But I still love going to the games when I am entertained, but the last three games I have been to have been unmitigated disasters. No fun at all, and really not worth what I paid for the seats.

If these guys can at least become entertaining that would be a marked improvement. I always enjoy meeting friends for a pre-game meal and beer(s) in the District, followed up by a good hockey game. It is the "good game" part that needs to drastically improve. Everything else is all good.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You know very well the Chimera trade was an attempt to shake up the room because the team was playing so poorly. Howson even came out and said he was trying to get some leadership in Clark.

Regardless, we're arguing over whether a trade that involved Jason Chimera as the key piece would be considered a "desperate move". I don't see how such a thing is possible.

You also know the Glencross trade was made because once again the team was slipping in the standings and Howson wanted to change up the Power Play. As an aside, Glencross was a Group Six UFA* so the Oilers didn't have rights to make a qualifying offer. In fact, according to reports at the time they did try to sign him.

The team was 25-22-6 when Glencross was traded for Tarnstrom, and I believe the power play was dead last in the league.

You're right in that Glencross was Group VI. From digging back through the original reports, it came down to term more than anything; Edmonton wouldn't go longer than one year (or possibly two), he wanted longer. Edmonton had a chance to match Calgary's three-year offer, and that was declined.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Unless you want to include marketing and promotion, that's not exactly committing to much. :)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that the past few games have not been enjoyable at all. Almost to the point of regretting I have the tickets. For me that comes from what I observe to be a complete lack of intensity and/or passion from the players on the ice. The guys in the CBJ jerseys kind of come out and skate around trying to think of what they might do if the puck actually comes to them. The passivity is really, really boring. It is one thing to lose a hockey game. It is another to seem not to care.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Hey guys Blues fan here in peace. The Blue Jackets are my girlfriend team, and I wanted to start catching up on their games on The Vault, but was curious first. Is the team playing better than their record indicates, or are they just really playing poorly? Are they still exciting on the offensive side of the puck, and just struggling defensively, or is it both? And how has Bob been since his return from the IR, has he found his groove yet, or is he still shaky?

To anyone who takes the time to answer thank you ahead of time.

Reactions: BadNewsBlues

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
They were really playing as poorly as the record indicates until the last 6 games which are all W's. They have been playing better especially Bob in goal. Also having guys like Jenner and Dubinsky back in the line-up has helped.

Current man games lost is on pace for somewhere in the vicinity of 550 for the whole season.

Guys who have lost major parts of the season include Dubi, Jenner,Anisimov, Wisniewski, Bobrovsky, Letestu, Tyutin and Murray and of course Nathan Horton who appears to be done career wise.

That's it in a nutshell.

jacketsgeek

Gimme some bread , man!
Sep 30, 2007
Pickerington, OH

So if it is not time to panic/give up/focus on the draft here is a look at December's schedule:

Dec 1 FLA
Dec 4 @FLA
Dec 6 @TB
Dec 9 PHI
Dec 11 @WAS
Dec 13 PIT
Dec 16 @DET
Dec 18 WAS
Dec 20 CHI
Dec 22 NSH
Dec 27 BOS
Dec 31 MIN

Relatively easy game bolded

Tossups Underlined

The rest decided underdogs

A split (2-2-1) in the easy/tossup games gets us 5 points

Maybe an upset along the way which could be offset by an extra loss in the easy/tossups and things look to get worse before they get better.

Best case in my mind is 8 points though those 5 in a row at home to close out the month could help. The worst? I'd rather not say (<6?)

Either way if things don't turn quickly it will definitely be time to look to next year.

It's fun looking back thru this thread!
15 days, 6 games later - we've gained 7 points on the last playoff spot.
A different team hit the ice last night than crawled from it on November 29th.
Sure, there were a couple new faces but, no panic button was pushed in the FO.
I know we've still got a long way to go but, fortunately, we've got a long way to go.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Hey guys Blues fan here in peace. The Blue Jackets are my girlfriend team, and I wanted to start catching up on their games on The Vault, but was curious first. Is the team playing better than their record indicates, or are they just really playing poorly? Are they still exciting on the offensive side of the puck, and just struggling defensively, or is it both? And how has Bob been since his return from the IR, has he found his groove yet, or is he still shaky?

So the Blues are your "wife" team and we're the sexy mistress?!? :laugh:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

7 am posts are suspect.... That said, as you know goal tending is the key to cups.... Your Blue team under Hitchcock is 100% based on goal tenders, he will use and abuse them all..

Ask Ryan Miller...

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

The poor start was mostly due to injuries. We lead all teams currently in man games lost and had a large chunk of the starters out on most nights.

We are gradually getting healthier and are winning more games. When healthy, this is solidly a playoff team. Problem is that the injuries have put us in a big hole we may not be able to get out of.

Bobrovsky has been phenomenal since returning from injury and is doing his part to carry the team.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
So the Blues are your "wife" team and we're the sexy mistress?!? :laugh:

It's a term the guys from The Puck Podcast use, to refer to the other team they keep an eye on. For example, both live in LA or the surrounding area, but Eddie is a Kings fan whose girlfriend team is The Cap's. And Doug is a Ducks fan, whose girlfriend team is The Panthers. It wasn't meant as a slight.

Last edited:

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
7 am posts are suspect....
I work nights, so I post a lot through the late night and early morning. Don't really see what's suspect about asking a few questions to get a feel for where The Jackets are at, at this stage.

That said, as you know goal tending is the key to cups.... Your Blue team under Hitchcock is 100% based on goal tenders, he will use and abuse them all..

Ask Ryan Miller...
Not sure how this answer's anything I asked, or what "abuse them all" is suppose to mean. Miller is getting a regular starter's load right now, and he's still blowing goats. I'm not even a Hitch fan (actually I want him gone, just don't know what good coach is left to replace him) but he didn't cause Miller's woes, he's simply not a quality starter on a playoff team.

Last edited:

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The poor start was mostly due to injuries. We lead all teams currently in man games lost and had a large chunk of the starters out on most nights.

We are gradually getting healthier and are winning more games. When healthy, this is solidly a playoff team. Problem is that the injuries have put us in a big hole we may not be able to get out of.

Bobrovsky has been phenomenal since returning from injury and is doing his part to carry the team.

Is the offense flying and exciting again?

I know our teams have a rivalry from when CBJ were in the west, but I've always liked them despite that. Columbus' third jersey's are by far and away my favorite jersey (right with the Blues home jersey) in the whole league. Glad to see that Bob is playing like we all know he's capable of.

I know most Columbus fans on this board wont like me posting here because I'm a Blues fan first. But I will always like The Jackets, and hope for their success as long as they're not playing St. Louis.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Is the offense flying and exciting again?

I know our teams have a rivalry from when CBJ were in the west, but I've always liked them despite that. Columbus' third jersey's are by far and away my favorite jersey (right with the Blues home jersey) in the whole league. Glad to see that Bob is playing like we all know he's capable of.

I know most Columbus fans on this board wont like me posting here because I'm a Blues fan first. But I will always like The Jackets, and hope for their success as long as they're not playing St. Louis.

Has it ever been? 5 on 5 we aren't very good;amazingly our pp is top 6 or so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad