Time to get rid of the offside review?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So is it about getting every call right or is about egregious calls right (like you original post suggested). If it's about every call then why shouldn't penalties or icing that lead to goals be reviewable? Some penalties (delay of game, TMM, or high-sticking) are "zero-discretion" so why should offsides be reviewable but no those penalties or icing?

They probably should. Just keep it to one review / timeout a game if you get it wrong. Well the icings. And goaltender interference is reviewable but alot of penalties are crazy subjective considering they only call them when they feel like it

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
perhaps not get rid of it but make the punishment for missusing it alot higher.
An challenge with no result should equal an minor penalty, would make teams challenge more only if they are relatively sure it was actually offside.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
perhaps not get rid of it but make the punishment for missusing it alot higher.
An challenge with no result should equal an minor penalty, would make teams challenge more only if they are relatively sure it was actually offside.

An offside that isn't close only takes 10 seconds to review. They are complaining about the long ones I assume which would all be close if it takes 5 minutes to decide.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
GI is subjective. Offside is objective(most of the time). I'd say make it a penalty to be wrong on offside but not GI. Generally the offside challenge is the one getting abused for a pseudo-timeout. That will stop if there's a deterrent. I have no issue with offside calls themseleves but I hate seeing coaches use them knowing they'll lose just for some extra time. That actually is delaying the game.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
An offside that isn't close only takes 10 seconds to review. They are complaining about the long ones I assume which would all be close if it takes 5 minutes to decide.

Should be delayed of game penalty then ^^ or change the rule like the players stick needs to touch the blueline atleast or something

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Rule just needs to be tightened up when challenging.

Quite honestly now it is almost similar to using the timeout anyway. Guys are kinda stopped, if the challenge review takes a while it gives the guys time to rest and draw up a new scheme plan or formation, etc.SO just tighten it up, maybe look for better more efficient ways to complete the review.

If you challenge an offside in OT and lose (you may as well challenge, you likely just lost the game), your team should start their next game shorthanded.

I've seen several of these OT challenges on a GWG and none of them were even close to being offside.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
If you challenge an offside in OT and lose (you may as well challenge, you likely just lost the game), your team should start their next game shorthanded.

I've seen several of these OT challenges on a GWG and none of them were even close to being offside.

I disagree with that. Why be punished for something that happened against another opponent in a different instant where you give the next opponent an advantage for basically nothing the team did that current game?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I disagree with that. Why be punished for something that happened against another opponent in a different instant where you give the next opponent an advantage for basically nothing the team did that current game?

How would you limit the number of times a coach can challenge offside in OT?

If he still has a challenge available, he could just challenge every time he loses in OT...?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

If he still has a challenge available, he could just challenge every time he loses in OT...?

Coaches can't challenge in OT. The league automatically looks at everything in OT that can be challenged and they themselves initiate the challenge.

1. In the final minute of play in the 3rd Period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach's Challenge.

https://www.nhl.com/news/board-of-governors-approves-2015-16-rules-changes/c-771976

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

So what they have 1 challenge or timeout availible if the goal was wrong is the only time it will benefit him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Should be delayed of game penalty then ^^ or change the rule like the players stick needs to touch the blueline atleast or something
The rule is part of your body has to be touching the ice or you have to have control of the puck. Not that hard.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Well if you really want to shake things up, then allow any play or missed penalty to be flagged but if you lose the call you get a 2min Pk, lose 3 calls and the forth is a 5min call. lose 5 calls cost you a goal, lose 10 calls and you lose the game and the next game you play the same team. lose 20 calls and your team must move the Quebec city.:laugh:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
What I would like to see is a time limit from the time the puck crosses the blue line on an offside until the time the goal is scored, say 10 seconds.

For example, the attacking the team is offside at 10:00 and scored a goal before 9:50, the goal is disallowed.

If they score after 9:50, the goal is allowed because the defending team had 10 seconds to establish their zone coverage.

Evergreen

So they correct 5 wrong goals a week? Sounds good to me.

And they review 20 more that just waste time and don't get overturned. It ruins the flow of the game. Coaches use the challenge near the end of the game on any mildly questionable goal just to get a timeout.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
It's definitely the worst rule in the game. We have 2 linesmen out there taking up all kinds of space. Every 10k games or so they miss a crazy offside like the Duchene goal, but aside from that, they get it right usually.

Calling goals back for guys who were fractions of an inch offside but inconsequential to the play? Ridiculous. Especially in this low scoring era.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
It's definitely the worst rule in the game. We have 2 linesmen out there taking up all kinds of space. Every 10k games or so they miss a crazy offside like the Duchene goal, but aside from that, they get it right usually.

Calling goals back for guys who were fractions of an inch offside but inconsequential to the play? Ridiculous. Especially in this low scoring era.

If they are calling back as many offsides goals each season as they are, then they really are not getting it right the first time. They are just getting it close and if close counted, then the puck touching the line, or the puck hitting the pipe would count.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
I think it is a stupid rule.

My own .02 would be you can't challenge the offside if your team touches the puck after the offside occurred (sorta like a delayed penalty touch). Conceivably, the team's advantage entering the zone is lost when your team re-gains possession if they lose it again in the zone and the other team scores then it's your own fault.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
If you make a rule which a human being can actually observe and process in real time, you won't need constant review.

The rule is ridiculous, and it took online review to show how ridiculous it is. Simplify it. Removing the skate on the ice concept least feels like an obvious first step, if you don't want to affect the "spirit of the rule." Not sure if it's enough, but at least an easy step to make a ref's life easier.

Personally, I'd say once the puck touches the blue line (not crosses), it's fair game to enter the zone. Can even make the blue line a little bigger to increase the margin for error. Probably just lead to players cheating forward more, but I'd expect the calls to drop.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
If they are calling back as many offsides goals each season as they are, then they really are not getting it right the first time. They are just getting it close and if close counted, then the puck touching the line, or the puck hitting the pipe would count.

They are getting it right usually it what he said which they are. What he is saying is that In the real world you don't get to weigh everything to a nicety so you have to choose which things are worth being exact on. The puck crossing the line for a goal yes the skate before the puck on a blueline not so much.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The only people who complain about this is those it effected because their team was offside. If you lose the challenge you lose the time out and you can't challenge again. That's punishment enough. At most it takes 5 minutes. What are you going to do with that 5 minutes? I'll help you out set your alarm 5 minutes earlier on game days so you don't lose any time. Seriously if the challenge helps get the call right good. If it was close but not over turned the team loses plenty and it hurts no one. Both teams get the same amount of time to rest and draw up plays. The same people complaining about this would be going ******* crazy if a guy was blatantly offsides and it was missed but no challenge. And it would be rigging or refs against you or bettman is worthless and nhl wants us to lose.

The rule is balanced and works great as is.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: