Time to get rid of the offside review?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No it's not. If that were the case every single missed offside calls would go to review, and not just the ones that lead to a goal.

Bottom line is that a missed offside call is not a big deal. Like I said, it's equivalent to balls and strikes.

Not a big deal until a goal is scored.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Not a big deal until a goal is scored.

It's still not a big deal. Nobody cared about offside goals in the past because 95% of the time nobody ever realized the play was offside to begin with. Not only that, a team being offside doesn't inhibit the defending team from preventing the goal.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Thank Matt Duchene for this nonsense

ducheneoffside.jpg

I'd still rather have one egregious offside goal go through 4x a year than have a goal a game nitpicked. Lesser of two evils by far.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
My god...the league is wasting my precious time with reviews...get rid of them.
If the reviews bother you that much...don't watch the game.
Fans whine about the stupidest ****.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not sure if they will get rid of it, but one thing they absolutely have to do is change the off-side rule to tracking the plane of the blue line, instead of skates being on and off of the line. So tired of reviews looking for a skate being a millimetre in the air off the blue line.

I do get why they have to wait until the off-season to change it though. If they changed the definition of off-side mid-season, the linesmen's heads might all explode simultaneously. All refs will probably need a 3 month course to prepare for the change.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's still not a big deal. Nobody cared about offside goals in the past because 95% of the time nobody ever realized the play was offside to begin with. Not only that, a team being offside doesn't inhibit the defending team from preventing the goal.

People absolutely cared about offside goals and they would usually find out later in the game or at the conclusion, you apparently being ignorant to it doesn't change it. Honestly let's just remove offside all together, being offside doesn't inhibit a teams ability to defend after all.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Get rid of coaches being able to challenge offsides. Leave it reviewable by the refs if they have any doubts but keep the damn coaches out of the game.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Hate this and hate the goaltender interference as well. The goalie interference challenge has devolved into seeing if someone grazed a goalies glove as they skated by in the front of the net a few seconds before the puck arrives.

Both that and the offside review have devolved into fixing a problem that did not need fixing.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Just remove them from being able to ask for a review on offsides? I for one have noticed alot of good call backs or good goals given, but the offside reviews have been mind numbing.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
People absolutely cared about offside goals and they would usually find out later in the game or at the conclusion, you apparently being ignorant to it doesn't change it. Honestly let's just remove offside all together, being offside doesn't inhibit a teams ability to defend after all.

I guarantee like 95% of offside goals in the past nobody ever knows about.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Get rid of coaches being able to challenge offsides. Leave it reviewable by the refs if they have any doubts but keep the damn coaches out of the game.

Let someone from the league initiate a review instead of a coach. An unbiased league official is most likely to only review the most obvious missed calls and not some goal that's an inch offside. Were as a coach will challenge anything close that MIGHT be offside. That nonsense has to be done away with.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
The rule would work better if the refs didn't randomly blow down close calls. I've seen so many phantom calls on McDavid because he's so fast

McJesu

Dec 6, 2016
Montreal
If you are offside you are offside, that's like saying well the puck only crossed the line by a millimeter so it shouldn't be a goal.

The most crucial call in hockey is whether the puck crossed the goal line. Offside, icing, and penalty calls are not of the same magnitude of importance, even if these calls can change a game. Offsides for me should be made in real time no matter what. Ideally they have an electronic system to do it, but until they have one they need to trust the refs, which we do with many other very important decisions.

Calling back a good goal for a mistake the refs missed 5, 15, or even 30 seconds later is incredibly disappointing and a giant momentum changer. It's not tragic for me if players get away with being an inch offside from time to time, sort of like how the NBA gives some leniency for travelling and the MLB has different strike zones with different umps. It's important to get calls right as much as possible, but to turn back time and reassess a play that happened several plays ago is ridiculous to me.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There's nothing wrong with the review other than they have the officials on the ice make themselves review their own work on a gameboy. Have it done in Toronto by impartial officials on screens where the puck isn't 2 pixels wide.

Counting goals (that will be shown on tv) which clearly should never have been goals delegitimizes the league even more than the rest of their actions already do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad