Time to get rid of offsides review

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No it's not get it right.

Let me ask you this, what if the Sabres are really good one day and they make it to game 7 of the cup finals against Vegas and are up 1 with a minute to go, with about 30 seconds to go Vegas crosses the blueline to tie the game, the replay shows Vegas is offside but we got rid of Offside review so the goal counts.

Jack Eichel scores in OT and Vegas wins the championship.

A championship that should have gone to Buffalo and would have gone to Buffalo if we could have reviewed the tying goal, but because we got rid of offside review Buffalo is screwed out of a Stanley cup championship and Vegas wins a a championship that everybody knows they don't deserve because everybody knows the tying goal was offside.

You still singing the same tune? I HIGHLY doubt it.

Get the call right.
20 seconds after the puck entered the zone, after we got the puck back and turned it over, having not noticed it in the first place because it was undetectable to the human eye, I would absolutely not care because nobody I shouldn’t even be aware of it.

Reactions: RooBicks

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Offsides calls should be non-reviewable if the defensive zone team regains possession. After that, it is their own fault for failing to prevent a goal.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
sounds a hell of a lot less "embarrassing" than declaring a winner and people discovering the offsides after it's too late to do anything about it to me

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
20 seconds after the puck entered the zone, after we got the puck back and turned it over, having not noticed it in the first place because it was undetectable to the human eye, I would absolutely not care because nobody I shouldn’t even be aware of it.

and when someone digs it up a week into the offseason and posts proof everywhere when it's far too late to do about it?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Should tweak the rule. Make it so that if after entering the zone, if the defending team ever has possession of the puck the play cannot be reviewed for offside.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly this seems like an easy fix in the long run by just having sensors in the equipment or whatever and having offsides just be automatic the second they happen

I have no idea how feasible that is tech-wise but if it isn't yet I can't imagine it's too far off being so

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It's annoying when you have to look at the bench that there's no challenge and hope the faceoffs goes on before celebrating a goal :laugh: Count me in for the "if you can't see it in full speed review you can't overturn" solution.

Reactions: Ruggs225

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Here's a fun one from last night.
Curious on peoples thoughts. Looks to me like Krug brought the puck back in but for some reason the goal was called back....for offside

*Edit - They review it and can't even get it right. lol

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Here's a fun one from last night.
Curious on peoples thoughts. Looks to me like Krug brought the puck back in but for some reason the goal was called back....for offside

*Edit - They review it and can't even get it right. lol

shouldve counted, but if the Bruins player couldve just touched that blueline before touching the puck there at the last second, that wouldve counted as a tag up and for sure cancelled the offside.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
shouldve counted, but if the Bruins player couldve just touched that blueline before touching the puck there at the last second, that wouldve counted as a tag up and for sure cancelled the offside.
For sure.
But the issue is, if you're gonna review it and get it wrong what's the point? Should have been 3-1 and Bruins should have got a delay of game power play.

It's like they didn't even look to see how the puck entered the zone & just saw Brazeau offside and called it

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I agree 100%. I hate offside reviews with a passion. I feel like I can never FULLY celebrate a goal because it might get called back after a 10 min offside review of a skate that was a quarter of an inch offside 45 seconds before the goal was even scored.

It reminds me a ton of the old crease rule. Goals were routinely called back over a player’s skate being in the crease by a fraction, despite having zero baring on the play. That rule was thankfully terminated. Offside reviews needs to follow the same path.
Unless you win the cup then its exempt from review.....

Reactions: Strexvale

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Never seen so much outrage about getting calls right. If you remove offside challenge the next team who gets screwed by an offside goal will be up in arms.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Never seen so much outrage about getting calls right. If you remove offside challenge the next team who gets screwed by an offside goal will be up in arms.

Do I get to review the moving pick that led to a goal? That happens all the time. What is “getting it right”? Shit even with frame by frame review they get it wrong like in the video a few posts above. Offsides is there to prevent cherry picking and make the game not an awful sport where teams throw the puck from one side of the rink to the other. It doesn’t need to be an exact science.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
IMO, they need to put stipulations on reviews one way or the other, either by only allowing refs to review in game speed or close to real time as opposed to the super slo-mo "let's see if there's a millimeter of white space between the puck and a guy's skate," or by stipulating that you can only challenge if a goal is scored within 10-15 seconds of zone entry, so more or less directly off the rush. Or have someone in Toronto reviewing as a sky judge type situation, with similar restrictions, to avoid the potential egregious Duchene goal.

Furthermore, we all watched who knows how many "offside" goals get scored years before this review was implemented and it wasn't an issue. Plus, this is a league that prides itself on refs throwing the rulebook out the window in tons of instances (a team has a 2 or 3 goal lead and they want to game manage, it's OT, it's the playoffs, etc.) and flat-out refusing to call blatant penalties because they "don't want to affect the outcome of the game." And there's no method for challenging if your player clearly got high-sticked in the face by an opponent and the ref didn't call it. The emphasis on "getting it right" rarely extends to refereeing in any consistent way.

All in all, it's stupid, but fully on-brand, that this microscopic hill is something the NHL would want to die on. Imagine you're a casual fan and you watch your team score a tying or winning goal deep in the playoffs, late in the 3rd or OT. It's awesome! You're swept up in the excitement! Oh, wait, it's getting reversed by someone being a centimeter offsides like 50 seconds earlier on a shoot-in.

• Love
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Few comments here:

• The timing is irrelevant, since there is no way to put a good time limit here. You either have no time limit or even more whining.
  • I disagree with the "it was undetectable to the human eye". I said this often, my impression is that since the offside review was implemented, referees let anything where they are not sure go (since if they are wrong the review will get it), and only call it when 100% sure... If this is right (hard to test it), then there is a huge difference between "I think it is offside but not 100%, I'll see at the review if it was or not" and "undetectable to the human eye".

At the end of the day, fans whine about reviews taking too long a week or two and then nobody cares anymore until the next one... But, whenever when they did not review something which they got wrong, we hear for 20-30 years (the skate was in the crease, the Gelinas no-goal,....).

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Do I get to review the moving pick that led to a goal? That happens all the time. What is “getting it right”? Shit even with frame by frame review they get it wrong like in the video a few posts above. Offsides is there to prevent cherry picking and make the game not an awful sport where teams throw the puck from one side of the rink to the other. It doesn’t need to be an exact science.
Looks like the correct call to me. Krug didn't have control of the puck. The rule only applies if a player carry or pass the puck back into their own zone, I don't see how you can even remotely call that carrying or passing it back.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The comment "get the call right" is so tiring because it is SELECTIVELY getting the call right.

In the sport of hockey every zone entry at every time has a butterfly affect on the game. Faceoff positioning, line matchup, ability to change players, 2nd period change, all of this is affected by the decision on EVERY SINGLE zone entry, BUT we don't care about them. We dont care about getting the call right, we care about not having a bad call just before a goal is scored. The fact that team A could go offsides entering team B's zone (missed by linesmen), and immediately team B could steal the puck and go down and score on team A shows that non of this is about getting calls "right." If it was then all of these plays would be reviewed and in that instance the offsides is made a dead play and prevents the counter end goal.

I hate offsides review and I hated it the first moment it was introduced bc now almost every goal you need to hold your breath to see if it is an actual goal and it becomes exhausting for fans and sucks the life out of things. We really want this over the concept of a mm on selective plays?

If they need to keep it then give the linesman one look at it at game speed and move on, although even that becomes an issue because the linesmen will feel pressure that there is an issue on the replay if a team and their video group calls for the replay. The only way to do it is make it mandatory that after every goal the linesmen get one game speed look at the preceding zone entry and they have to confirm the goal or overturn it at that moment. This nonsense of multi minute relays over mm's is just exhausting and was a gross overreaction by a league that couldn't see past the end of their nose when they instituted this and didn't foresee the mess that was coming. Colin Campbell even told them this was going to happen

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Seems like the offsides review causes undo stress. Let's turn the tables, and make it fun. First, you bring back the POSSIBILILITY of a tie game, even if you go to OT or Shootout. Here's how: No offsides review, or any goal review otherwise during the course of the game. A goal is scored or not depending on the immediate call by the ref on the ice. For example, if the ref didn't see it go in on a close goal line play, and calls no goal, then it doesn't count....yet.

Then, after the game is played, both teams hang out on their bluelines and wait for Toronto to review all the goals and/or close plays. Then and only then will the true winner (or tie!) be revealed. Excitement! Think about the effect on the betting industry. I for one want MORE drama.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
I can live with off side replay but would like to see a tweak to it.If a team brings it in offside and defending team touches puck or controls it and fails to clear it out then lose it and it ends up in net ,then no replay should be allowed.I have saw teams keep pucks in a minute + and have it called back.That slows game down bigtime u ask me.
agree with this and I would add a rule that if the puck is in the zone for 15 seconds before the goal is scored you can no longer review the offsides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad