Time to get rid of offsides review

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Imagine if it was an important game and they didn't review it. Would be worse than the foot in the crease lol. Get the calls right . Just dont do it in a way that's embarrassing stay on the bench till ot goals are reviewed.

Make both teams stay and watch the three star thing lol . They get paid enough they can wait a min and feel shame

Reactions: AvroArrow

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
They should just do replies for offsides for the playoffs. That way they get it exactly correct when it really matters.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
With everything that they screw up, I believe that limiting the refs responsibilities is good for the game. I go along with the idea that the defense regaining the puck should cancel the offsides, No time limits, though.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Looks like the correct call to me. Krug didn't have control of the puck. The rule only applies if a player carry or pass the puck back into their own zone, I don't see how you can even remotely call that carrying or passing it back.
"If a player legally carries, passes or plays the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue."

Possession doesn't factor into it. Krug played it back into his own zone. Therefore offside does not apply.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
"If a player legally carries, passes or plays the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue."

Possession doesn't factor into it. Krug played it back into his own zone. Therefore offside does not apply.
You can't play a puck back into your own zone if you don't have possession. It literally just nicked off his stick, unless you want to count pucks going off the defending team's skates as "playing back in your own zone" then it was the correct call.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
You can't play a puck back into your own zone if you don't have possession. It literally just nicked off his stick, unless you want to count pucks going off the defending team's skates as "playing back in your own zone" then it was the correct call.
It did not nick off his stick and it was not a deflection. He played the puck back to himself in his own zone.

Getting stick checked before he could play the puck again does not mean he didn't play it back into his own zone in the first place.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
It is a bit ridiculous if the attacking team has had possession of the puck for 30 seconds in the offensive zone and they score and then they start to review if someone was offside.

Offside review is ok, but there should be a time limit.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It is a bit ridiculous if the attacking team has had possession of the puck for 30 seconds in the offensive zone and they score and then they start to review if someone was offside.

They can't pause the action and start reviewing in the middle of the play, only after the whistle goes. It's a bit ridiculous if the attacking team gained the zone and pressure because of an uncalled offside.

Getting the call right is what matters the most, imagine your team losing the Stanley Cup because of a missed offside call but we can't review it because people are complaining about getting calls right because they take a minute or two.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
They can't pause the action and start reviewing in the middle of the play, only after the whistle goes. It's a bit ridiculous if the attacking team gained the zone and pressure because of an uncalled offside.

Getting the call right is what matters the most, imagine your team losing the Stanley Cup because of a missed offside call but we can't review it because people are complaining about getting calls right because they take a minute or two.
I mean yeah, in the playoffs they could review offsides, but they get all kinds of calls wrong in the regular season anyway so...

And everyone knows they're not even calling games according to the rule book, but because of "game management" so in the greater scheme of things no one really even cares if the calls are wrong in the regular season.

Bad calls are made in every game anyway. What makes offsides so special?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I mean yeah, in the playoffs they could review offsides, but they get all kinds of calls wrong in the regular season anyway so...

And everyone knows they're not even calling games according to the rule book, but because of "game management" so in the greater scheme of things no one really even cares if the calls are wrong in the regular season.

Bad calls are made in every game anyway. What makes offsides so special?
You still don't have a point, because other calls are missed or called wrong, you want to be able to go offside to sore a goal ?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

This is where I'm at. Refs miss calls all the time, why is it so important to go back and confirm that a puck was carried in on-sides 30 seconds before the goal was scored? We don't go back and review other infractions like hand passes and high sticks that were missed.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You still don't have a point, because other calls are missed or called wrong, you want to be able to go offside to sore a goal ?

You would have to get over the line without the lineman seeing it. If it's missed, I don't have a problem with the goal counting. For the same reason I wouldn't have an issue with a goal being counted after a missed hand pass or missed high stick.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

Yep - agree with having a time limit - some duration long enough where the offsides play did not lead directly to giving the defensive team a disadvantage which was the reason for the goal being scored.

Bedard has had 3 goals disallowed due to offside reviews. Two of them were quick strike plays where Bedard scored before the defense could get set up - but the other overturned goal happened about 15-20 seconds after the offside where the offside play really didn't contribute to the goal being scored.

I would argue all 3 of those goals should have counted because all of them really didn't put the defense at any more of a disadvantage than if the puck didn't come out about an inch over the blueline - but I don't have a problem with calling the offside and disallowing the 2 goals because I believe in following the rules. But, I also believe there is the "spirit of the rule" and if the spirit of the rule is not followed then the rule should not be enforced. There are clear examples where the spirit of the rule is not applicable but the offside is still called - that is what I believe should be changed.

Reactions: pekka55

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
When the implemented this rule it was based on a once in a lifetime non-call on an offsides that led to a goal. It was Matt Duchene on that breakaway where he was a country mile offside. To the point when he scored it he had a look as if to say "Oh come on, you guys are counting that one?" It has become so micromanaged since then. We don't need a review because a guy's toenail wasn't touching the blue paint. That wasn't the spirit in which the review rule was put in place for anyways. They more or less overreacted, because that Duchene goal just never happens. Basically the video review for this has done more harm than good. It has slowed certain games down.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The point of the offside rule is to prevent cherry picking. If a player is a hair offside, it does not impact the spirit of the rule. Instruct linesmen to call it when it they are sure it's offside. If they aren't sure, let play continue.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I can't seem to find current statistics on video reviews anywhere. I know that somewhere around 75% of offside challenges result in no goal, but I'm curious just how many there are. Feels like something close to one per game on average, but I'm probably overestimating because they're so damn annoying.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I have a completely different perspective on this. Hear me out.

Technology has come a long ways. You must use the latest and greatest to get it right ESPECIALLY if you want new, younger fans. No way you're gonna sell the game with human error while tech exists to get calls right.

Look at baseball, they are forced to change because the average age of a baseball fan has been headed for the cliff of death for 20+ years.

Times change. You either change with them or get left behind.

I'll go a step further...and this is not a dig on anyone but I bet the age of the anti-technology fan is proportional to their disdain to using it(in general). There are exceptions of course. But older fans tend to have that "purist" view and are ok with human error while younger fans embrace the tech. Get it right.

JMHO.

Reactions: byrath

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I have a completely different perspective on this. Hear me out.

Technology has come a long ways. You must use the latest and greatest to get it right ESPECIALLY if you want new, younger fans. No way you're gonna sell the game with human error while tech exists to get calls right.

Look at baseball, they are forced to change because the average age of a baseball fan has been headed for the cliff of death for 20+ years.

Times change. You either change with them or get left behind.

I'll go a step further...and this is not a dig on anyone but I bet the age of the anti-technology fan is proportional to their disdain to using it(in general). There are exceptions of course. But older fans tend to have that "purist" view and are ok with human error while younger fans embrace the tech. Get it right.

JMHO.
Given the uncertainty and large effect of penalty calls which are not reviewable, getting offside calls right down to the micrometer should be of little comfort to fans that want everything neat and tidy and correct. Like putting a band-aid on the gunshot wound that is hockey reffing, so to speak.
I'm pushing 50 though, and remember what it was like to unreservedly celebrate goals as they happened.

Reactions: Number8

Mach2

Jan 15, 2021
I believe there are two practical options regarding offside calls:
1. Accept the linesman's offside call (or no call) as official/final.
OR
2. Accept the current process whereby close offside calls can be reviewed by video to ensure the correct call is made.
I can live with either one.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Something this egregious happens once every 10 years. So to prevent that, we have to deal with stupid offsides challenges nearly every game? Get rid of it.
Exactly. I once got a flat and the spare was flat as well. Now I don’t travel anywhere without a backup van following me. The van has a mobile mechanic team with parts. Not one single issue since I’ve enacted this policy. Parking is often a massive pain in the ass though.

• Haha

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Given the uncertainty and large effect of penalty calls which are not reviewable, getting offside calls right down to the micrometer should be of little comfort to fans that want everything neat and tidy and correct. Like putting a band-aid on the gunshot wound that is hockey reffing, so to speak.
I'm pushing 50 though, and remember what it was like to unreservedly celebrate goals as they happened.
With this and an earlier post we should close the thread.

1) Why was the offside rule initiated in the first place? (Poster earlier spelled this out).

2) All games (any sport) include mistakes. Refs and linesmen included. Should we have video reviews for icing, penalties, TMOI, timing on hits, embellishments, etc?

To use your band-aid analogy (which I agree with completely) the offsides rule is like putting a tourniquet on a paper cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2