Time to get rid of offsides review

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The offsides review has long been an embarrassment, but today, the embarrassment may have peaked. The Sabres apparently beat the Oilers with 2 seconds left in overtime. Everyone had celebrated and moved into the locker room. TV had gone to commercial. Fans were making their way to the exits. Suddenly, out of the blue, Toronto buzzes in and says NO GOAL because twenty seconds earlier, there was an apparent, maybe, sort of offsides. This was that offsides.

IMG_1153.jpeg

The Sabres went on to win in a shootout, but the embarrassment for the league remains. It’s time to put these ridiculous replays to bed. It’s a bad look for everyone.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had always been under the impression you had to challenge for offside but I guess not.
Is that somewhere in the rule book for Toronto to review every goal? Just in the last 5 minutes?

I totally agree OP this offside fetish the NHL has has gone on long enough. The BoG need to scrap it. Getting out the Zapruder film to try to spot 3mm of white or blue ice every game is f***ing ridiculous. That's not what the rule was created for and it rarely has any tangible effect whatsoever on the play. These are the best linesmen in the world, leave it up to them. We accept a degree of human error in so many of the other calls what makes this one so critical to get right.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, sadly, the effect this has on the game is that you can no longer be excited about anything in the moment. What's the point in celebrating when the goal might get called off anyway? It really hurts the enjoyability of the sport.

Now that I think about it, this might even be the reason that I've been less excited about watching NHL lately. The fact that you can't trust any play happening in the moment and can't properly get emotional about good calls, bad calls, good goals, bad goals, until way after they happen, just takes away from the soul of the game.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I think offside reviews should continue. Just how they review offsides should change, something like if you can't see it clearly in slow motion without going frame by frame for 5minutes, the call on the ice stands. Take away the most obvious mistakes, and just accept that in a fast sport like hockey half inch of skate over the line doesn't matter

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

This is exactly why we do need a basic form of offside review.

Under my proposed rule, the officials skate over to the box and look at the play once in real speed from each angle available in the arena. They then make a ruling. If it's inconclusive, the goal stands.

Problem solved. You no longer get a total joke like the pictured 'goal,' and you no longer waste everyone's time by reviewing goals like the one in the OP for ten minutes and then going 'well, it looks like he was about three electrons offside, so therefore, no goal.'

Evergreen

The freeze frame they showed as evidence of the offside showed the puck NOT touching Byram's stick as he entered the zone. Isn't that exactly the same thing they let go on the Makar goal during playoffs?

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I agree 100%. I hate offside reviews with a passion. I feel like I can never FULLY celebrate a goal because it might get called back after a 10 min offside review of a skate that was a quarter of an inch offside 45 seconds before the goal was even scored.

It reminds me a ton of the old crease rule. Goals were routinely called back over a player’s skate being in the crease by a fraction, despite having zero baring on the play. That rule was thankfully terminated. Offside reviews needs to follow the same path.

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Could be that they didnt catch it since one of the linesmen suddenly had to leave before start of 3rd period.

As for the rule,maybe keep it for playoffs when it matters and just get rid of it in regular season

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Something this egregious happens once every 10 years. So to prevent that, we have to deal with stupid offsides challenges nearly every game? Get rid of it.

What are you dealing with? You have to wait an extra minute or two to make sure the right call is made? Man you must really be going through it. My condolences that you have to face these difficulties in your life, no one should have to endure that.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The freeze frame they showed as evidence of the offside showed the puck NOT touching Byram's stick as he entered the zone. Isn't that exactly the same thing they let go on the Makar goal during playoffs?
No it’s different, in that case puck was taken out of zone, and re-entered, while player still trapped inside if I recall.
In this case player is in zone before puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What are you dealing with? You have to wait an extra minute or two to make sure the right call is made? Man you must really be going through it. My condolences that you have to face these difficulties in your life, no one should have to endure that.
Yes, that’s a problem. The spontaneous nature of winning in overtime is a huge part of the appeal. Walking it back like this is terrible for the product. Nobody leaves feeling good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00