Time to get rid of offsides review

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
They can't pause the action and start reviewing in the middle of the play, only after the whistle goes. It's a bit ridiculous if the attacking team gained the zone and pressure because of an uncalled offside.

Getting the call right is what matters the most, imagine your team losing the Stanley Cup because of a missed offside call but we can't review it because people are complaining about getting calls right because they take a minute or two.

Missed calls happen all the time. How many times do we see missed high sticks, tripping or other calls? You don't think these missed calls could "cost" the other team a Cup just as much as a missed offsides call?

Reactions: Z-Diddy

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
We should go back 30 years and review all games, if any were offsides wave the goals off and make the 60 year olds play the play again for the sake of correctness.

Yeah, I do agree it's time to get rid of the micromanagement reviewing of every play. Unless the league doesn't believe in their own ref's abilities 🤔

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Something this egregious happens once every 10 years. So to prevent that, we have to deal with stupid offsides challenges nearly every game? Get rid of it.
Back when coaches only got one challenge and if they got it wrong that was it, or whatever the rule was, the Bruins lost an offside challenge and therefore had none the rest of the game. Later, there was a goal scored when the opposing player was literally 2 feet offside (the guy had drifted in over the line along the boards and the linesman’s view was blocked). But since Boston had no challenge they couldn’t challenge it. One reason I guess why the implementation was changed.

However, my point is that they implemented the offside challenge because of one egregious offside play, yet there was still an egregious offside play that they missed. It doesn’t matter what they do or what rules they implement, there will eventually be a play that falls into whatever grey area is produced by the new implementation and which will be missed. It’s inevitable. So just go back to the linesmen calling it live.

As you said, that an egregious missed call happens once a decade is no reason to completely change the rule, especially since there will eventually be another egregious missed call under the new rule.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wintersej

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It does seem dumb that the NHL decided to draw the line here. Why are there reviews for offsides, but not reviews for missed high sticks, delay of games etc.

A fraction of a step offside makes far less difference to the game than one of these missed calls.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It does seem dumb that the NHL decided to draw the line here. Why are there reviews for offsides, but not reviews for missed high sticks, delay of games etc.

A fraction of a step offside makes far less difference to the game than one of these missed calls.

The horse is out of the barn now. We would get away with the micro offsides before because we were conditioned not to pay attention to them.

But now we can't help but analyze every goal for whether an offside may have occurred. It's the toenail in the crease rule all over again with the number of inconsequential offsides leading to disallowed goals.

It ultimately comes down to a conflict between the spirit of the rule and the technicality of it. Technology is great for the technicality aspect but everything comes with a cost.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
The horse is out of the barn now. We would get away with the micro offsides before because we were conditioned not to pay attention to them.
The funny thing is does a player's skate blade being 1" across the blue line REALLY matter that much if a goal is scored by a teammate driving down the opposite side of the ice? No, they more than likely would have scored either way. So it becomes rather ridiculous that it gets called back but a rule is a rule. I personally hate it. Pucks crossing the goal line is more literally determining a goal vs no goal. Some dude's skate blade being 1" over the line 30 feet from the play shouldn't be enough to blow a play dead. If so, why not have a war room in every arena calling plays back for penalties that the refs missed calling? It's too slippery 'a slope

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
I don't love the offside review system as it stands now, but we can't go back to the old system that allowed the infamous Duchene offside. A middle ground of some kind is needed. Have refs review plays in real time, and if inconclusive let the goal stand? Something like that could work.

I think McDavid has lost 3-5 points this year on pretty ticky-tacky offside reviews.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s fine as it is. They corrected the biggest issue which was having to have your skate on the ice. The only other tweak I’d look at is a change of possession cancelling out the offside.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
It’s fine as it is. They corrected the biggest issue which was having to have your skate on the ice. The only other tweak I’d look at is a change of possession cancelling out the offside.

No, there are bigger issues:
-Cheering against your own team to score because you think the play was offside and the goal would be called back. What a ridiculous thing.
-Reviewing offsides but not the dozens of other things that could be checked. "My team's player was interfered with three minutes ago", why not review that too?
-The horrible feeling of getting permission to do something (by the linesman's call) than having that permission retroactively revoked and having all your work go to waste.

The once-a-season egregious offside is not worth rewinding the game over.

Reactions: BTO

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Perhaps the title of this thread should be: Offside review has gone too far. In the NFL, if something is that close as the screenshot where the skate looks like its still on the faded part of the blue and the puck is faded itself because its in motion then the original call stands.

For context this is the only camera frame in question as the frame prior shows both skater and puck in the blue and the next frame both are in the zone.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
here’s the real question.

Why aren’t ultra Hi Def high FPS cameras used to record the offsides?

Instead they are always recorded with a potato just in case they need the call to go the way the bets are going.

Bet99 anyone?

Reactions: BTO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad