Time to get rid of offsides review

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
This is exactly why we do need a basic form of offside review.

Under my proposed rule, the officials skate over to the box and look at the play once in real speed from each angle available in the arena. They then make a ruling. If it's inconclusive, the goal stands.

Problem solved. You no longer get a total joke like the pictured 'goal,' and you no longer waste everyone's time by reviewing goals like the one in the OP for ten minutes and then going 'well, it looks like he was about three electrons offside, so therefore, no goal.'
This worse than what we have now…

There is literally no world it is a good idea to review calls and still not make sure you get the call right.

Reactions: nturn06

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It just needs a time cap

If you can’t decide it within x amount of minutes the call on the ice stands.

When it takes 10 minutes to determine it’s not something that affected the play/score

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Looks offside and the right call was made.

Great job by the league to get it right.
Review every tripping and crosscheck then too and get it all right.

A review should not take more than 30secs. Give the refs a couple looks on video and allow them to change their decision. This was sad today.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
My opinion has always been to allow the situation room to intervene when they see a clear offsides in real time (as in Duchene a decade ago), but get rid of the coaches review. This can prevent the egregious offsides misses while also not having the freeze frames for a mm offsides.

Today was an embarrassment though. Toronto shouldn't be reviewing plays like that which in real time are at worse inconclusive. In 99.9% of missed offsides calls no material unfair advantage was gained.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I've always said it, if a review is taking longer than a minute or so, the call on the ice should just stand.

When you're taking minutes upon minutes to slow down and review every bit of footage from every bit of angle, you're not so much conducting a review of the call as much as looking for reasons to overturn it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Am I missing something? Looks offside to me.
It is offside, that's not the point.

The point is that this small of an offside didn't affect the game and no advantage was gained from it.

It's just pretty lame that after a questionable entry, rather than cheering for your team to score a goal, you're instead cheering for the opponent to clear so your team can try to enter the zone again. Is that fun?

My opinion has always been to allow the situation room to intervene when they see a clear offsides in real time (as in Duchene a decade ago), but get rid of the coaches review. This can prevent the egregious offsides misses while also not having the freeze frames for a mm offsides.

Today was an embarrassment though. Toronto shouldn't be reviewing plays like that which in real time are at worse inconclusive. In 99.9% of missed offsides calls no material unfair advantage was gained.
And I still think the Duchene goal was a good goal. Preds played the puck(not a deflection, intentionally played) and therefore it was a pass to their own zone, which is not an offside. Keep in mind that this pass would also not have been an offside had Preds not knocked it down and hence slowed the puck down.

So this "offside" that gave birth to the whole offside challenge thing wasn't even offside.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I've always said it, if a review is taking longer than a minute or so, the call on the ice should just stand.

When you're taking minutes upon minutes to slow down and review every bit of footage from every bit of angle, you're not so much conducting a review of the call as much as looking for reasons to overturn it.
How long did this review take?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
How long did this review take?
Enough time for the Sabres to salute the fans, and get to the locker room. The Oilers were also off the ice. A good number of fans had also left by the time it was announced.

There has to be a better way to do it.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
There was a further delay when both teams had to be fetched from their locker rooms, and the Oilers were slow in returning.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As long as we can all agree that we will never bitch about a missed offside call that effects our teams negatively, then sure. Every goal scored against our teams that shouldn't have counted are just the linesmen doing their best.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Watched hockey for almost 50 years. Many, many with no review. Said it many times and I will say it again….the only thing that should be reviewed is did a puck cross the goal line. Not offsides, not was it knocked in with a high stick or kicked in….nothing. Just did it cross the goal line. That’s it. All other calls stand as called.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
For me, what it comes down to is this: Does the NHL want to increase goal scoring or not?

If they do, then calling off goals because of a few of millimetres that can only be observed via super-slow-mo is the wrong approach.

I'm becoming heavily in favour of the idea that officials can only watch a replay at full speed. If it's not clear that a call (or non-call) was made in error, then the call on the ice should stand. Chaos is an inherent component of competitive sports. We all need to accept it.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I don't understand why offside has to be measured in millimeters, but icing is totally capricious. Players routinely shoot pucks in from a couple of *feet* behind the redline and nobody cares. Linesmen routinely wave off icing because they decide somebody could have played a puck. The race to the dots is not reviewed and is frequently called incorrectly. Penalties -- which are much more impactful on the game -- are complete judgment calls. It's not science. Why the anal retentive obsession with offside? If the offside is too close for the linesman to notice or happened more than 5 seconds before the goal is scored, it had no effect on the play. The purpose of the rule is to prevent cherry picking. The current system does nothing to serve that purpose. It just ruins the flow of the game and creates less scoring. Totally stupid.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Manage offsides with the puck tracking and cameras so that the play stops immediately on offsides. We can then get rid of the linesmen and won't have goals taken back all the time.

That's what needs to happen. The situation ATM is absurd. But the past isn't right either.

Reactions: JLewyB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad