Sportsnet: Time for the Flyers to listen on offers for Giroux?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
again all spin.

I am looking at his last 4 seasons. his numbers have gone down in all 4 of those seasons. I did not pick random seasons or stretches of games. The last 4 seasons. Thats a good gauge of how a player is playing I would think.

But if we are allowed to pick random numbers such as you have, I will choose Galchenyuks first 40 games this year when he was a PPG and I will ask for G and a big + for him.....

They are not random stretches... they are EVERY stretch over 2 years.

As opposed to seasons, which are far more 'random'.

Since start of 2014-15, his rolling pts/82 games.

C5Ln-xqWYAEMwRp.jpg

bbcelite

Oct 11, 2009
Bavaria
What do you want from the Flames for Giroux (Defense is not available except prospects)? BTW yes a deal without having a major D going back absolutely can work.

Backlund + Tkachuk

These teams are awful trade partners. Would also trade straight up for Monahan. But i doubt you give up on one of youre young stars.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Backlund + Tkachuk

These teams are awful trade partners. Would also trade straight up for Monahan. But i doubt you give up on one of youre young stars.

Because Monahan is a left handed shot, and Bennett is better as a winger who can snipe, I wouldn't mind a one for one trade.

Gaudreau-Giroux-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg
Stajan-Hamilton-Chiasson

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Andersson

Last edited:

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I am a Flyer's fan and yes we should trade Roo...if we can get a decent young prospect to match our up and coming young d man prospects as we rebuild, then by all means pull the trigger....Love Girioux but he does not fit so well in our continuing rebuild.

Giroux isn't even the Flyers best player anymore. If someone wants to give the team a boatload for a declining Giroux and that contract, well sign me up! He seems did-interested out there most of the time.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Pointing out how they've only won 1 playoff series in that time span, while ignoring they wouldn't have ever even made the playoffs with Richards/Carter on the team instead of Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, and Schenn in that time span, let alone take the eventual EC champs to 7 games with a crippled Emery tending net in 3 of those games is hilarious.

No we're not trading Giroux because of a bad stretch(while his value is at an all time low as he's playing the worst hockey of his career). Yes he was on pace for a 70 point season 2 months ago. His demise is being greatly exaggerated. The whole team is not scoring because of a defense first strategy the coach has implemented

Perhaps the real reason they haven't made it out of the first round is the hilariously bad blue line they've assembled in that time span? Pronger got hurt. Missed out in Suter and Weber in 2012. Wound up with Striet and then Kimmos blood clots sent him into retirement earlier then we hoped. 3 years ago we started a mini rebuild by building the blue line via draft and so far it's paying divedends. Provorov and Ghost are Studs. Gudas is a top 4 player as well. That leaves 3 spots for 4 highly Touted guys in Sanheim, Myers, Morin, and Haag.

So no we're not trading Giroux and this writer you're citing is a fence post. While he points out plausible things in this article the team is not going to panic and trade the best players it's had in 20 years over a bad 30 game stretch in which the whole team is struggling. Next time you want to point out shortcoming of a franchise you know nothing about, perhaps do a little research.

Yea well said. We aren't going to trade the offense even though they are all struggling. G was doing great with everyone else earlier when he, Jake and simmer were top 7 in scoring. G still is high up in PP scoring and that had gone ice cold before the last game. The biggest factor is the D was scoring. They were the highest scoring group in the league. They came back to earth and then some and the offense dried up. It's possible that in two weeks not only will we not have Streit, Shultz and MDZ but we will replace them with Morin, Hagg, and Sanhiem. That's a marked upgrade. Should lead to a ton of offense and really change the whole look to be honest.

All together, G is not declining. He's 29. Hopefully he stays healthy and we can find a solid center to take up his slack when he actually does decline.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
We should listen, but not solicit.

I think that's what you should do for any player, though, so I guess that's not much of an update.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I think it's fair to say we (Philly) won both of those trades (We gave up those two; we acquired Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, picks that led to Cousins, Couturier, Grossmann).

I know LA ended up with multiple Cups, but that's more CBJ's fault than ours (for quickly trading Carter to LA that same year). Hell, if it wasn't for the miracle buy-out Lombardi got away with, LA would've been feeling some effects from Richie's contract even longer.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Yea well said. We aren't going to trade the offense even though they are all struggling. G was doing great with everyone else earlier when he, Jake and simmer were top 7 in scoring. G still is high up in PP scoring and that had gone ice cold before the last game. The biggest factor is the D was scoring. They were the highest scoring group in the league. They came back to earth and then some and the offense dried up. It's possible that in two weeks not only will we not have Streit, Shultz and MDZ but we will replace them with Morin, Hagg, and Sanhiem. That's a marked upgrade. Should lead to a ton of offense and really change the whole look to be honest.

All together, G is not declining. He's 29. Hopefully he stays healthy and we can find a solid center to take up his slack when he actually does decline.

Right on. Except I don't expect to see Morin and Sanheim until next season. Maybe Haag, but that depends on who gets shipped out or not. Hexy has put an emphasis on creating a winning culture in LV. They have a legit chance at the Calder cup this year. Doubt he messes that up.

dementia5

Feb 24, 2016
Giroux

The guy at the top of the thread said "Another Carter Richards mistake"
Is he HIGH?

The Flyers got Voracek, a first (Couturier), and a third (Cousins},for a guy that Columbus traded the same season. Granted Carter is a still a stud, but Philly got 3 top 9 players and got way younger.

For Richards, they got Schenn and Simmonds (best power forward in the game) for a guy who had off ice issues and is now out of the league.

All these players are under 26, except simmonds, who is 28.

This is a huge win for Philly. These trades set up their team for the next decade. If these trades were a mistake, I wish they would make a few more.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
"Another Carter Richards mistake"? The Flyers should be lucky to oblige. The Flyers absolutely won those deals and should be listening on Giroux now. If someone offers a boatload you have to listen. Hextall is a fine GM and this coming from a Canuck fan. You guys have a soon to be great back end and with adding a few solid forwards will be contenders in 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad