Sportsnet: Time for the Flyers to listen on offers for Giroux?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Do the Canadiens win the Cup if they make this trade...

Galchenyuk, Sergachev, cap dump

For

Giroux and Gostisbehere

The Habs 2 clear needs are a top center and a top 4 D. This deal gives them both with only removing Galchenyuk from the roster.

Giroux
Pacioretty
Radulov
Gallagher
Weber
Markov
Gostisbehere
Price

That core is as great as it gets for the next few years.

It's up there but it's debatable as far as being the best. You could argue for Pittsburgh,Columbus,Anaheim,Chicago,LA etc.

lids19

Jan 29, 2008
You mean chucky?

Yes. I'm not a habs fan or philly fan but I think it's a good deal for both teams
What do u think

Ghost with Weber on the pp
Giroux 1st line C. With patches

On phillys side serg and provorov
And a young galchenyuk to fit in with that core

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Personally (not a Flyers fan) selling low on Giroux seems pretty dumb. The D is in transition between generations. If you can't get the puck out? How do you score? Voracek is a much better trading chip. Tying up that kind of money in winger seems a bit crazy.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
A couple things that need to be considered (that Flyers fans can probably answer):

1) When is PHI expected to be cup competitive next? (how many years)
2) Giroux is 29 and likely starts to decline in 2 years. Does it make sense to try and maximize his return value now if they dont enter cup contender status before he starts to slip?
3) Does PHI have suitable talent in the pipeline coming up to possible replace him? Or at least target a young upside player via trade to acquire in return?
4) Giroux has four more years left after this. Does PHI need some cap relief down the line the next few years?

I love Giroux and he shouldnt be moved for the sake of being moved, but Giroux and the PHI organization seem to be in that tweener stage where you could argue either way based on where the franchise is, if it makes sense to not make a move on trading Giroux right now if the price is right

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
A couple things that need to be considered (that Flyers fans can probably answer):

2) Giroux is 29 and likely starts to decline in 2 years. Does it make sense to try and maximize his return value now if they dont enter cup contender status before he starts to slip?
3) Does PHI have suitable talent in the pipeline coming up to possible replace him? Or at least target a young upside player via trade to acquire in return?
4) Giroux has four more years left after this. Does PHI need some cap relief down the line the next few years?

I love Giroux and he shouldnt be moved for the sake of being moved, but Giroux and the PHI organization seem to be in that tweener stage where you could argue either way based on where the franchise is, if it makes sense to not make a move on trading Giroux right now if the price is right
FYI, 5 years

Amazing how many of these contracts end up looking bad

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
galchenyuk and Sergachev plus player or pick for Giroux.
thats all Giroux is. Why trade someone who is much younger for him??

Monster in playoffs and best faceoffs guy in NHL or top 3 easily.
Personally (not a Flyers fan) selling low on Giroux seems pretty dumb. The D is in transition between generations. If you can't get the puck out? How do you score? Voracek is a much better trading chip. Tying up that kind of money in winger seems a bit crazy.
Selling low is a no-no.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
For those worried about Giroux's decline, you should watch a game and see how our team plays. Our coach has completely destroyed any offensive creativity this team has.

I'll admit G's best days are behind him, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he went to a different team and started piling up the points. He's still a great player and leader.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island

1. Could be 2 years. All depends on how good Sanheim/Morin/Myers are and one of the goalies in the pipeline.

2. No. Because he's not playing up to his ability. It would be foolish to trade him while his value is at an all time low.

3. They do not have a 1C in the system right now, but Rubstov looks like he could be special. Our hope is we have such a plethora at D we can do a Seth jones esque trade for a 1 when that time comes.

4. Absolutely not. About to have 22 million in space with everyone besides Ghost and a goalie needing to be signed. Ghost would probably be under 4 AAV unless he takes a really long bridge deal. We have Lindblom coming next year. I'm good with G having that cap hit even at a 2C if we become a cup
Contender. It would be nice to have a beloved guy who spent his entire career here finally winning one with us rather then going somewhere else.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Too early to give up on Galchenyuk.
Not the right time to give away your star center in Giroux. The Flyers are trending up and they'll want him to be there when it's time to compete.

All depends how they view Chucky.

If they think he won't be a #1, and instead a 60 point winger, then maybe they do trade him for G.

With Price and MaxP having 3 playoff runs left on their deals, and adding Weber, if they are going to go "all in", now is the time.

But who knows, maybe they go after someone like Duchene instead and then try and re-sign him when the time comes.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Even star players have bad years is something I have to mention here. Getzlaf had a 57 point year and it was pretty much declared on HF he was done at that point. Then next year after he was over PPG.

For Flyers I suppose it could make sense to put Giroux on the table, because of their youth in D specifically, but he shouldn't (and wouldn't) be traded for lesser pieces.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Chucky + Sergachev + 2nd for Giroux

Flyers then flip Sergachev+1st for Duchene.

PHI Gets: Chucky, Duchene, MTL 2nd

MTL gets: Giroux

Col gets: Sergachev, PHI 1st.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Crazy what a 20 game span does to peoples minds.

Giroux was 11th in league scoring and pacing for ~75 points just before Xmas ~35 games into the season... while scoring at the same rate 5v5 as last year... where he was top 100 in the leagues in 5v5 P/60 and scoring at 1st line level.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Crazy what a 20 game span does to peoples minds.

Giroux was 11th in league scoring and pacing for ~75 points just before Xmas ~35 games into the season... while scoring at the same rate 5v5 as last year... where he was top 100 in the leagues in 5v5 P/60 and scoring at 1st line level.

Hey - I love Giroux - currently waiting on my 50th Anniversary G jersey to arrive - but if everyone else is going crazy, I'm going crazy too.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Chucky + Sergachev + 2nd for Giroux

Flyers then flip Sergachev+1st for Duchene.

PHI Gets: Chucky, Duchene, MTL 2nd

MTL gets: Giroux

Col gets: Sergachev, PHI 1st.

That is not going to happen. Way to much going out of Montreal.
Habs could get Duchene for less and still save 2+ mil per.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I'm sure nothing will happen, but hypothetically how about Turris + Brown + White? I'm guessing Chabot wouldn't appeal to the Flyers quite as much.

Sens/I would love to bring G back to the NCR and finally give EK the franchise forward he deserves.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Those "mistakes" brought back Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn. Carter struggled and has now been resurgent, Richards has washed out of the league. I'm all down for repeating those "mistakes".

Yea, those were good trades. The decline of Philly had much more to do with the decline of Pronger + Timonen + Briere, Carle leaving for free agency, etc.

Swapping Carter + M. Richards (who isn't even an NHLer now) for Couturier + Simmonds + B. Schenn + Voracek would completely decimate them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yea, those were good trades. The decline of Philly had much more to do with the decline of Pronger + Timonen + Briere, Carle leaving for free agency, etc.

Swapping Carter + M. Richards (who isn't even an NHLer now) for Couturier + Simmonds + B. Schenn + Voracek would completely decimate them.

And Cousins... who is our 3C atm!

It ended up effectively being:

Richards
Carter
Rob Bordson

for

Voracek
Simmonds
Schenn
1st (Couturier)
3rd (Cousins)
2nd (flipped for Grossmann... who helped get rid of Pronger contract while also garnering a 4th round pick... which is Connor Bunnaman.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad