Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
That's nonsense that the rest of the series doesn't matter. Of course it does. The rest of the series has shown that Boston has virtually no even strength scoring. Most of game 7 will be played at even strength. It won't be close.
Even strength goals this series have been:

Toronto 10-9 Boston

If you're going to write off the Bruins for a lack of ES scoring, then you should also be writing off the Leafs for a lack of ES scoring.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkrok line put on a clinic.

good low event hockey.

1714747350162.png

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Toronto 10-9 Boston

If you're going to write off the Bruins for a lack of ES scoring, then you should also be writing off the Leafs for a lack of ES scoring.
I expect to be doing that in later rounds.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We really didn’t outplay TB last year, felt a bit fortunate to win that series honestly. This series is already for me the best iteration of a playoff team this era, we literally have dominated them 5 on 5 for almost the whole series. Now just do something on the PP ffs, thanks.
We really haven't dominated 5on5.

What we have is some momentum on the back of two close games where we shut down their offense. Woll's been huge and a difference maker in the limited games he's played.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
I've seen it posted a few times that Joe Woll could be like Cam Ward and take the Leafs on a run. A friend and I were talking about it and I said that would make Samsonov the Martin Gerber, and I think that makes this whole scenario even more realistic! A flash in a pan goaltender who is actually terrible and loses his starting job to a rookie. And maybe he eventually ends up on one of our rivals and plays them out of a top pick. The story writes itself!

Sep 18, 2009
Bertuzzi - Domi - MarnerKnies - Tavares - NylanderRobertson - Holmberg - JarnkrokDewar - Kampf - ReavesRielly - LyubushkinBenoit - McCabeEdmundson - LiljegrenWoll starts Samsonov

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I have to compliment the composure that out unexperienced young guys are showing throughout the series. Very few mistakes and a ton of character shown by Dewar, Holmburg, Knies, Gregor and Robertson.

These guy will be valuable for us longterm hopefully

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Toronto 10-9 Boston

Are you counting the Bruins empty net goals towards their ES output?

Leafs have just been unfortunate by hitting the post on every empty net while the Bruins scored all of theirs. It's the same reason Pastrnak's stats look better 4 points in 6 games instead of his 2 - because he got 2 empty net assists.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Bruins are playing better than most people think imo. They've had more dangerous chances and after the 1st period, the shots end up being pretty close which mean they're piling much more periods 2 and 3.
The shot chances after the first period were relatively similar, just toronto was doing a good job blocking shots and Boston was just straight up missing the net. In periods 2-3 they were actually hitting the net, But Jo the brick god dam Woll was there every time.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Matthews had a game he dominated and won. Nylander just had one. You’re up Mitch! Get er done in game 7!

To be fair to Mitch, while he's struggled HARD offensively, he was a defensive presence last game.

I know we need more out of our $11M player but he was definitely a contributor.

I'm with you though. Bring it Mitch!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The shot chances after the first period were relatively similar, just toronto was doing a good job blocking shots and Boston was just straight up missing the net. In periods 2-3 they were actually hitting the net, But Jo the brick god dam Woll was there every time.

The Bruins are really struggling to start games. Jitters, maybe.

I also think the Leafs D needs credit. A bunch of physical nobodies but they've tightened up immensely and are just absolutely hammering the Bruins forecheckers.

They've been picking on Pasta while Bert and Pontus get under Marchand's skin. Hopefully they can keep up the excellent work.

And of course, when your goalie makes key saves the whole team is just that much better. Woll has been stellar when called upon.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There will be very few power plays. Leafs will score early in the first and Boston won't be able to climb back
You can be sure that Boston will be complaining about the missed calls in their meeting with the supervisors today or tomorrow and the Leafs won’t get away as much as they did last night.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
The Bruins are really struggling to start games. Jitters, maybe.

I also think the Leafs D needs credit. A bunch of physical nobodies but they've tightened up immensely and are just absolutely hammering the Bruins forecheckers.

They've been picking on Pasta while Bert and Pontus get under Marchand's skin. Hopefully they can keep up the excellent work.

And of course, when your goalie makes key saves the whole team is just that much better. Woll has been stellar when called upon.
We finally have a big mean D that will punish you if your in front of the net.

There was a play yesterday where Pasta had position on Benoit going around the net, and Benoit beautifully reached around with his stick, dislodged the puck from pasta, and the 2nd defenseman came in to collect the puck which resulted in a quick zone exit. it was beautiful.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Leafs have just been unfortunate by hitting the post on every empty net while the Bruins scored all of theirs. It's the same reason Pastrnak's stats look better 4 points in 6 games instead of his 2 - because he got 2 empty net assists.
No. Just 5 on 5

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Of course anything can happen in a game 7, but this feels eerily similar to our series vs the Habs in 2021, but now with the roles reversed. Boston look shellshocked, can't make any plays, can't generate offense, no puck luck, etc.

As games 5 and 6 went on I had full confidence we were coming out with the W, weird feeling.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

5on5 goals are 10-8 for the Leafs. HD chances are almost equal (slight edge B's), xGF% is almost equal (slight edge good guys)

Boston's hit their share of posts as well. Coyle last game, a number in game 1.

It's tight, very tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad