Time for Mickey Redmond to retire

Aug 6, 2012
Daniels has gotten a lot worse over the years, as far as covering the Wings anyway. I used to like him back in the early/mid 00's, but he's just... I dunno, really grating to me anymore. He's such an unabashed homer at this point, and his dialogue with Murphy is just terrible (part of that's on Murph though, who's got to be one of the all-time worst color guys I've ever seen).

As far as straight hockey coverage goes, though (college, NBC, and the like; basically anything non-Wings related), he's still pretty good. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him move to NBC full-time and getting the bulk of the national feeds. Way better than Doc, at least.

I think Daniels is great. Last year he did an NBC game of the Wings vs. Sharks and he was very good; didn't show any bias at all. The only problem I have is that he sometimes comes off as if he is clueless when it comes to hockey. I know he's the play-by-play guy so its not a big deal but its hard to explain. Maybe that's just because of Mick.

And every time I see him he reminds me of that Jimmy Neutron big-headed cartoon character. But he's not nearly as annoying looking as KQ, not even close.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think Mickey's crossed over from entertaining to whiny. His complaining is constant and he frequently makes excuses for everything the Wings do wrong. He constantly gets things wrong, especially player names and he doesn't seem to really care. There was a time when I felt we were lucky to have him, but for the past few years he's seemed to be coasting by on his legacy.

but every other fanbase hates him, so we should keep him forever

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Detroit teams have the worst play by play crews for the most part. Daniels and Redmond are in the upper echelon compared to most of the schlock we have to put up with. George Blaha has two jobs and he's abysmal at both.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Mickey's one of my favourite parts of the broadcast. He's got an adorable charming semi-senility to him I can't help but love, kind of like Stan Lee.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think Daniels is great. Last year he did an NBC game of the Wings vs. Sharks and he was very good; didn't show any bias at all. The only problem I have is that he sometimes comes off as if he is clueless when it comes to hockey. I know he's the play-by-play guy so its not a big deal but its hard to explain. Maybe that's just because of Mick.

And every time I see him he reminds me of that Jimmy Neutron big-headed cartoon character. But he's not nearly as annoying looking as KQ, not even close.

Never been a fan of Daniels, I think he came over as a basketball guy and in the beginning knew nothing about hockey, and I am not exagerating when I say nothing. He's gotten better but he still sticks out to me as a very generic voice that quotes more stats than anything of real substance.

Larry Murphy needs some new glasses, he looks like your retarted brother that is wearing saftey glasses so he doesn't poke himself.

Micky is one of the best color comentators there is because he has lived evey part of the game. He speaks his mind and calls it from the heart. I can't beleive people want these robotic sports entertainment personalities that do nothing but quote stats from their teleprompter and scream their heads of when there is a shot on goal like doc emrrick. Micky's entusism for the game is infectious and is a huge reason I am a hockey fan from listining to his insights on the game. His homerism and complaints about calls have gotten much worse in the last few years but whatever. He is still awesome. I am glad I met him once and got to tell him what an awesome job he does.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Redmond is fine. I noticed he has been slipping as far as memory goes, and jumping to conclusions, but he is exactly what a color commentator should be. He's a natural talker. Most color guys are awkward, try too hard to be funny, and use way too many mixed metaphors.

Redmon, for all his mistakes, sounds natural and comfortable, and it sounds exactly like watching the game with a buddy. Plus, he never sounds like he's reciting stats, he gets to the core of the matter with his old time stories and wisdom, and he DOES have a tremendous amount of hockey knowledge that he passes down.

Daniels is good as well, but he does come off as a used car salesman. He's definitely going to go national soon. He's excitable, but not nearly as excitable as the wannabe pro wrestling play by play guys.

How did Murph and Keating get their jobs? Awkward delivery, bumbling metaphors, it's embarrassing. I cringe for the day Murph takes over or FSD gets a pro-wrestling wannabe to do play by play.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Remond is brutal. The guy botches names more than anyone i've ever listened to.

The other night, David Baglund.. Not sure if he was talking about Berglund or Backes..

Speaking of Keating, that guy is the biggest *******. When the camera's arent rolling, ive seen him twice blow up a fans for just cheering..

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Redmond is fine. I noticed he has been slipping as far as memory goes, and jumping to conclusions, but he is exactly what a color commentator should be. He's a natural talker. Most color guys are awkward, try too hard to be funny, and use way too many mixed metaphors.

Redmon, for all his mistakes, sounds natural and comfortable, and it sounds exactly like watching the game with a buddy. Plus, he never sounds like he's reciting stats, he gets to the core of the matter with his old time stories and wisdom, and he DOES have a tremendous amount of hockey knowledge that he passes down.

Great post. Redmond is just fine.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't think anyone actively dislikes the guy and we will all have a warm place in our hearts for him but I think it's time to find another color commentator.

I couldn't disagree more. Mickey has a passion for the game, he has played for the Wings, and he's about as unbiased a color commentator as I've seen/heard. The only thing he might be biased or gripe about is the penalties the refs call these days, and even then he gripes on those calls for both teams on the ice. He likes the rough stuff, and he gives credit where credit is due (when it comes to other team's talent and/or plays). He has tremendous knowledge and insight into the game!

I've had Center Ice or Game Center for many years now, and I cringe at some of the idiotic homers that call games for other teams. The way they call games sometimes is just downright embarrassing and a pain to listen to.

I hope Mickey sticks around for a very long time!

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
I love Mickey but have you ever seen him dissect a play? Or offer insight into where the puck should have gone in this instance, under this system?

No. You havent. Because Mick played in an era of hockey that barely had systems. The "systems" of his era are basic Hockey 101 these days so there is no insight to offer.

With that said, he has a keen eye for recognizing talent on the offensive end. He can accurately say this-or-that guy anticipated such-and-such very well and that shows signs of knowing the game (the old "...doesnt need a road map out there" line).

I like him, he will retire when he wants to. But to say there arent better out there is nostalgia speaking. Rightfully so, but admit the bias is all.

Ken Daniels, a few people mentioned something is awkward about him.

Its his eyes. They are entirely too close together. He looks like he was stretched at the temples and he knows it, which is why, if you notice, he is always trying to "profile" his face on camera as often as possible. Even resorting to a sort of very deep bow as a gesture of inflection.

But I like him as a PxP guy because he rarely mixes the names and calls a fast game. He is constantly interrupted by Mickey which throw his flow off, but hey, thats their version of chemistry.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
He doesn't do it as much anymore but Mick is perfectly capable of busting out the blue pen and breaking down a play

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Mick is a legend, one of my favorite parts of watching a Wings game.... I imagine you hated Budd Lynch too. Geez.

CloneHakanPlease*

He doesn't do it as much anymore but Mick is perfectly capable of busting out the blue pen and breaking down a play

The Wings just dont make that many plays anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad