Time for Mickey Redmond to retire

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
If Ozzie ends up being as terrible in the booth as he is in the local Detroit commercials, keep him the hell out of the booth!!

Mickey makes me laugh with his old timey, folksy hockey wisdom. And you know the players don't want him to go anywhere... in a broadcast, Mick often explains away their mistakes as bad penalty calls. Today's example would be the interference call on Kronwall, who gets caught flat-footed and as the Blues forward is going to blow past him, he clearly uses his stick to slow down the Blues player. And Mickey bemoans the call to the point where you almost forget that not only was it the correct call, it was a bad play by Kronner.

Exactly. He's moaning about a legit call. It gets old after a while.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
the problem is hockey is getting to be like the nfl with the way they give out roughing calls. But hes is a lot better then the sharks play by play. :shakehead

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
I'd rather listen to Mickey Redmond than some guy who has never played an NHL game in his life spouting off catch phrases like most Fox regional networks have.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
And for the record, I like his old-timey stories. It's a reminder that Mick was an excellent player for the Wings back in the day. It's a nice bit of history.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stories as long as it's not excessive. You actually wanna hear them when you develop an interest in hockey history.

How the problem with him is that he always speaks before he's sure and will point out a wrong player number or something which is a different matter and I don't think he was that great at analysis compared to some other guys but he's not annoying or anything which is the main issue with another chunk of the league.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Quite possibly the worst thread I've ever seen. You're a smart guy Soup, but..

cmonman.jpeg

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
There are a few color guys out there that do a really good job of pointing out the little details and subtleties throughout the game that really add to my enjoyment of the game. Mickey does that from time to time but more often it seems like I'm the one that should be telling him what's going on.

Like I said, I don't dislike the guy, I've just been getting the feeling that we could do better lately.

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
no kidding, that's it. i love mickey for what he says. i mean, he loves old time hockey as much as i do. he surely hates modern hockey as much as i do. he can't accept the new NHL, neither can i.

so while nothing he says has any value, with him it's watching a red wings game with a buddy. ;)

Here here!

Mickey is awesome.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Mickey is fine by me. He adds some fun to the games. He can stay on as long as he wants.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think Redmond misses some calls and can be irritating about complaining about some calls. He should adjust himself a little bit.
But he is very funny and very entertaining. I like how he brings back the old times. I like that he loves fighting and hitting.

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I like Mickey but he doesn't need to be a booth referee. They make a lot of mistakes and I certainly don't like the direction the game is going(soft) but Mickey is like an old piece of furniture. You know there is better out there, but he's comfortable.

Aug 6, 2012
I love hearing Mickey chuckle at a Datsyukian deke. Or rambling on-and-on about some old timer story where you can only understand half of the things he's saying. Or when it takes him three tries to realize who the player is. But my favorite is when he works the replays and tells the guys to pause it, and they always mess it up, so he just ends up scribbling all over the screen while mumbling something about the play.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There are a few color guys out there that do a really good job of pointing out the little details and subtleties throughout the game that really add to my enjoyment of the game. Mickey does that from time to time but more often it seems like I'm the one that should be telling him what's going on.

Like I said, I don't dislike the guy, I've just been getting the feeling that we could do better lately.

Don't worry, you're not alone here. My Stars buddies consider him one of the worst in the league. It's hard to disagree. While I like him from a sentimental point of view, his actual commentary is pretty elementary.

Meanwhile, Dallas has the best color guy in the business, Daryl "Razor" Reaugh...

razor_2010_250.jpg

If you don't watch the Stars games, he also does some with CBC and occasionally NBC. He knows the quirks of every player in the league AND he's hilarious. Makes watching a terrible Stars team quite tolerable.

When Mickey drops a 2Pac reference, I'll drop dead.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I've had Game Center for a few years and Mick is not even close to being that bad. I've watched plenty of games where I've almost fallen asleep bc the commentating was so bad. Yea mick makes mistakes he's human and prolly boozed up but so what. I love his stories and honestly some of the stuff he does touch on you would never pick up from someone who never played the game. He points out things that only a hockey player/coach etc would and its refreshing to have that. Yea sometimes he seems to have lost his mind but I will stand his corner. He reminds me of the guy in the movie Major League with the half gallon of jack lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad