Time for Mickey Redmond to retire

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't think anyone actively dislikes the guy and we will all have a warm place in our hearts for him but I think it's time to find another color commentator.

It's nothing but "Gosh, remember when..." and "Boy, you wouldn't call that back in my day!" and "I remember Frank 'Boomstick' Farglenuts once had too many ginger ales and boy wasn't it funny! And we bunked together! Can you believe that! Players don't bunk together anymore! HAHAHAHA!!!"

I guess one of the things that's driving me over the line lately is when the league is clearly calling things one way this season, he just can't accept it. They would make that call 99 out of 100 and he'd still need to comment on how it's just an awful awful call.

Oh, and "Twitter.... tweet? These are things that go together?"

Let's make sure Murph isn't his replacement either.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't mind him at all. He at least brings some kind of personality to the game so I don't fall asleep watching this team. But I don't care much for the analysis of color commentators anyways, I'd rather just do it myself.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Mickey Redmond has always been there for comedic effect. You can't really take anything he says seriously. He is like your senile Grandpa :D

THW

Mar 6, 2008
My family and I like listening to Mick and having fun with his "Mickeyisms"...so no for me.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Mickey Redmond has always been there for comedic effect. You can't really take anything he says seriously. He is like your senile Grandpa :D

no kidding, that's it. i love mickey for what he says. i mean, he loves old time hockey as much as i do. he surely hates modern hockey as much as i do. he can't accept the new NHL, neither can i.

so while nothing he says has any value, with him it's watching a red wings game with a buddy. ;)

Reactions: frankiess

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Personally, I like him as a commentator, but that's just me haha.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
How many of you guys watch non-Wings games? I've had Center Ice or Gamecenter for a few years now and Mickey is not in the top half. There are a lot of other bad color guys out there too, don't get me wrong.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
How many of you guys watch non-Wings games? I've had Center Ice or Gamecenter for a few years now and Mickey is not in the top half. There are a lot of other bad color guys out there too, don't get me wrong.

i would most say that he is most definitely in the top half of commentators and i have center ice so i watch a ton of games. Most of the new age color guys seem to have no personalities.

plus, you know that once mickey retires that murphy will be replacing him, who is in the bottom half of commentators.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
He's sounded the same for as long as I can remember, nothing is new here.

And what's wrong with Clark Ke- err, Larry Murphy?

images

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
It'll be a sad day when Mickey retires. And if Larry Murphy takes over for him I may have to put the TV on mute and just listen to the radio broadcast.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Obviously he is not as good as he used to be.

But he's not in Bob Cole or Pat Summerall territory yet.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think they should start grooming Osgood to take over from Mickey.

If Ozzie ends up being as terrible in the booth as he is in the local Detroit commercials, keep him the hell out of the booth!!

Mickey makes me laugh with his old timey, folksy hockey wisdom. And you know the players don't want him to go anywhere... in a broadcast, Mick often explains away their mistakes as bad penalty calls. Today's example would be the interference call on Kronwall, who gets caught flat-footed and as the Blues forward is going to blow past him, he clearly uses his stick to slow down the Blues player. And Mickey bemoans the call to the point where you almost forget that not only was it the correct call, it was a bad play by Kronner.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1