Rumor: Tim Thomas

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Too much. I'd say 2 years 5 mil

Way too much for someone his age and with that many question marks. That would be ridiculous. Can't we just sign Emery now that the legit options are off the table. Halak would be the best choice IMO but his cap hit sucks. Really going to be interesting to see what goes down.

It's always nice to imagine a smaller cap hit, but I think you guys are dreaming. There is going to be some competition for his services, I imagine.

You'e basically saying you wouldn't give Tim Thomas veteran starter money, let alone good starter money. You're already getting a break on the term (and AAV) due to his age/absence. Retreating from $4 M is really pushing it, in my opinion. Look at what other guys without a quarter of the credentials are making. I would be ecstatic if they could shave anything off of 2 years/$8 M and still get him.

Edit: You guys realize I was talking $8 M total, not per year right?

Last edited:

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
It's always nice to imagine a smaller cap hit, but I think you guys are dreaming. There is going to be some competition for his services, I imagine.

You'e basically saying you wouldn't give Tim Thomas veteran starter money, let alone good starter money. You're already getting a break on the term (and AAV) due to his age/absence. Retreating from $4 M is really pushing it, in my opinion. Look at what other guys without a quarter of the credentials are making. I would be ecstatic if they could shave anything off of 2 years/$8 M and still get him.

Yup. I'd give him 3.5.

member 30781

I don't think Thomas is coming back to be a distraction. Last time that happened, he up and left his team after the season.

I think Thomas is getting an overblown rap from a single incident. Up until the White House thing when he was 37, no one would have called him a trouble-maker.

And then the Chick-fil-A incident happened....

A professional athlete with that heavy of a political agenda and mediums through which he implies them is not the kind of athlete I want in Philly.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
So Ken Dryden and his left wing ideology would not be tolerated in club if truth be told.The reason the habs tolerated was that Ken was very quite despite missing a season.Thomas has support of many despite your hatred

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010

A professional athlete with that heavy of a political agenda and mediums through which he implies them is not the kind of athlete I want in Philly.

So I guess Tim Thomas would have your approval if he supports gay marriage.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
question for the people who want Emery over Thomas:

you would rather have a guy who has proven to be, at best, an average nhl goalie to team up with our other average (maybe better?) nhl goalie, over a thomas/mason combo?

whats the harm in taking a risk on a guy who has proven to be an ELITE nhl goalie??

if it doesnt work out, you still have your average nhl goalie in mason

sign him for 1-2 two years, if it doesnt work it doesnt work

emery is not a starting goalie in this league...hence the reason he has been a backup...so why not roll the dice and go for the guy who has the potential to be a top 5 goalie?? .....sorry if this is a dumb question, i am just failing to see the logic in the emery over thomas argument

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Good thing this is hockey and not a debate.;)

I've said it many times I don't care for the guys view points but it is his opinion and I respect it for that alone. I mean isn't freedom of speech what every American always thump their chest to when talking about other countries?

My main priority is whether he can stop the puck or not (which I think he can) everything else especially the political nonsense takes a backseat.

Last edited:

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia

Tim Thomas, estranged Boston net-minder, expressed an opinion on facebook. I hardly see how that qualifies as an "incident."

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
He was doing this:

There's going to be a media circus anyway around the goaltender position in this town. I would take a chance on a guy that could do that rather then a quiet guy who is not as good. Boston cares more about politics than Philly anyway. If he stops the puck, nobody will care.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Age is nothing but a number remember ageless wonder mark recchi?? Yea Thomas could be just like that its all about how you take care of yourself but I'm hoping we sign him we could do GREAT things with a good goalie

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C

Well he wouldn't necessarily be the starter here. We don't know how his level of play is for the time being, for all we know Mason could be better at this point. I realize what he thinks he is worth but I would pass and let some other team pay $4 Mill a year to find out he doesn't have it anymore.

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C
question for the people who want Emery over Thomas:

you would rather have a guy who has proven to be, at best, an average nhl goalie to team up with our other average (maybe better?) nhl goalie, over a thomas/mason combo?

whats the harm in taking a risk on a guy who has proven to be an ELITE nhl goalie??

if it doesnt work out, you still have your average nhl goalie in mason

sign him for 1-2 two years, if it doesnt work it doesnt work

emery is not a starting goalie in this league...hence the reason he has been a backup...so why not roll the dice and go for the guy who has the potential to be a top 5 goalie?? .....sorry if this is a dumb question, i am just failing to see the logic in the emery over thomas argument

But that's the thing I don't even want Emery and I would still prefer him to Thomas who hasn't played in over a year because at least you know what you're getting. There are no legit options out there unless you move assets in a trade. So either you're going to sign a below average guy to backup Mason, or you move some assets for Halak and his high backup cap hit, or you move a king's ransom for Miller and have a legit starting goalie.. If the Flyers think Mason is their guy and can carry the load of the majority of games, they sign a cheap backup. If it was something like a $2 million cap for Thomas sure go for it, but there's no way that's a possibility. He's going to get minimum $4 mill and that way too much of a cap hit for a big time question mark. I would much rather spend that dough on role players that are defense first.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Where are you guys getting these numbers from? I can't imagine Thomas getting $4 million (is that a rumor or just speculation on here?). Nabakov got $500k after he played a year in Russia didn't he? Why would Thomas take a year off entirely and get so much mroe at five years older? If he wants $4 million (or anywhere close) he can go pound sand.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
Has it been confirmed that the Islanders are letting him go? Since he never reported last year, they could choose to toll his contract, meaning he'd be theirs for another year. Seems very un-Garth Snow like to let him go for nothing when there are teams out there likely hurting for a goalie.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Well what's the going rate for starting goalies in the NHL?

I posted Devan Dubnyk is making 3.5 next season. Safe to assume Timmy's asking price starts at least at 4m, no?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well what's the going rate for starting goalies in the NHL?

I posted Devan Dubnyk is making 3.5 next season. Safe to assume Timmy's asking price starts at least at 4m, no?

But Dubnyk played last year and is not 39 years old. I understand starting goalies make money. If Tim Thomas was in the NHL last year, he'd easily get $4 million. But he hasn't played in a year. Even if he is in tip-top shape, he's a 39 year old goalie who relies a great deal on athleticism that hasn't played in the NHL in a year. He doesn't have much leverage unless there are a bunch of teams in the fray.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
holy breakaways boston

....that might help the doubters with the notion that he was a product of "boston's great system"

A small portion of Flyer fans around here would do well to watch hockey around the league so they know an elite netminder when they see one, instead of being apologists for the parade of averages that seem to show up here.

Thomas WON games almost by himself through sheer force of stubborn awesome.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
But Dubnyk played last year and is not 39 years old. I understand starting goalies make money. If Tim Thomas was in the NHL last year, he'd easily get $4 million. But he hasn't played in a year. Even if he is in tip-top shape, he's a 39 year old goalie who relies a great deal on athleticism that hasn't played in the NHL in a year. He doesn't have much leverage unless there are a bunch of teams in the fray.

Well he's a two time vezina winner and a conn smythe winner. If he signs for 2m then sure, I'm on board. But I just wouldn't expect it, plus it's Homer. He willingly gave Bryz 9 years/5.6 and we had his rights. I'm scared.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well he's a two time vezina winner and a conn smythe winner. If he signs for 2m then sure, I'm on board. But I just wouldn't expect it, plus it's Homer. He willingly gave Bryz 9 years/5.6 and we had his rights. I'm scared.

I'm a little scared to see what the happens the rest of the offseason as well. Holmgren has been patient for a whole year. I hope he doesn't go crazy in free agency giving out tons of money and years to older players like Lecavlier and Thomas (who I would like to be here).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad