Rumor: Tim Thomas

MacFlyer

Jul 20, 2012
By missing out on Bernier and Schneider (we can't beat jersey's offer, really?), we missed the two guys most likely to be a long term solution ( and who I've been rooting for us to get for the last 3 years). Well that sucks, but so be it. We're flyers fans, we're just not meant to have stability and promise in the crease. Let's make due for a few years and see who's free then. Who are the Ufas then? How long until price/ fucale becomes a "situation"? Hey' maybe stolarz pans out? I say we don't worry about it. Build the rest and goaltending can be the last piece for us...

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I don't think Thomas is coming back to be a distraction. Last time that happened, he up and left his team after the season.

I think Thomas is getting an overblown rap from a single incident. Up until the White House thing when he was 37, no one would have called him a trouble-maker.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
BOIzP5NCQAAkhmP.jpg

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
“It had to be done,†Snider told Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravelli on Wednesday. “I was part of making it happen. It was hard to sit there and watch the Stanley Cup final, knowing what [goalie Tim] Thomas was doing for Boston.â€

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
“It had to be done,†Snider told Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravelli on Wednesday. “I was part of making it happen. It was hard to sit there and watch the Stanley Cup final, knowing what [goalie Tim] Thomas was doing for Boston.â€

He was doing this:

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Mason/Emery preferable to the "unknown" of Thomas? :help:

What kind of "known" quantity do you think you're getting with those two journeymen types?

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Mason/Emery preferable to the "unknown" of Thomas? :help:

What kind of "known" quantity do you think you're getting there?

Not sure i understand what known quantity means.

But yes, i'd rather spend 4.5m on Vinny then 4.5 on Timmy. (if that's what he will cost, I'm guessing)

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I would have to think Lecavalier is going to command a larger contract than Thomas, seeing as he is 6 years younger and there are way more teams in the market for his services. Rumor mill says the Flyers are interested in both, however.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Why do you guys think Thomas as all the leverage? I see it exactly opposite. The goalie market is fairly saturated. And to the guy who thinks Thomas will get more than a 2 year deal, you are way off. If he gets 2, he'll be lucky.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I don't understand the Bryz comparisons earlier. He isn't getting Bryz money and not getting Bryz term. He's succeeded under pressure as opposed to Bryz's playoff collapses. He's succeeded fantastically in difficult situations (odd man rushes, breakaways, one-timers) and has shown he can make ridiculous saves as opposed to Bryz relying on the system to be good.

Reading the Trade forum thread, it sounds like he's been working out for many months now and that his time off won't have diminished him. He's motivated by the Olympics. He's also previously stated he has particular interest in Philly, which is only encouraging. Coming in with an attitude to fix our goalie problem and prove himself for the Olympics makes him seem perfect for us.

I think the whole "oh no another personality" thing is way overblown; is there any other reason than the White House stunt? If thats it, I can deal with it. I don't think he's had issues with teammates, has he? I though he's always been reported as a great guy.

I think he'd be awesome for Mason.

With us in the lead for Vinny, could we fit both of them? An offseason of Vinny, Timmy and Streit would be fantastic for us IMHO.

What kind of money/term would he get? I would assume he isn't looking for anything too long term if his main motivation is the Olympics, considering his age as well. And taking off a year, would he really get the same kind of money he got before? I feel like people may doubt his ability to come back after off time and that may drop his price tag.

I want him on the Flyers.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I am guessing something in the 2 years/$8 M neighborhood is reasonable. Or at least that is what I would like to see. Does that sound way off to anyone?

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I don't understand the Bryz comparisons earlier. He isn't getting Bryz money and not getting Bryz term. He's succeeded under pressure as opposed to Bryz's playoff collapses. He's succeeded fantastically in difficult situations (odd man rushes, breakaways, one-timers) and has shown he can make ridiculous saves as opposed to Bryz relying on the system to be good.

Reading the Trade forum thread, it sounds like he's been working out for many months now and that his time off won't have diminished him. He's motivated by the Olympics. He's also previously stated he has particular interest in Philly, which is only encouraging. Coming in with an attitude to fix our goalie problem and prove himself for the Olympics makes him seem perfect for us.

I think the whole "oh no another personality" thing is way overblown; is there any other reason than the White House stunt? If thats it, I can deal with it. I don't think he's had issues with teammates, has he? I though he's always been reported as a great guy.

I think he'd be awesome for Mason.

With us in the lead for Vinny, could we fit both of them? An offseason of Vinny, Timmy and Streit would be fantastic for us IMHO.

What kind of money/term would he get? I would assume he isn't looking for anything too long term if his main motivation is the Olympics, considering his age as well. And taking off a year, would he really get the same kind of money he got before? I feel like people may doubt his ability to come back after off time and that may drop his price tag.

I want him on the Flyers.
Perfect

I am guessing something in the 2 years/$8 M neighborhood is reasonable. Or at least that is what I would like to see. Does that sound way off to anyone?

Too much. I'd say 2 years 5 mil

The Tim Thomas bangwagon is filling up.

I'm all in. Worth the risk

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C

Way too much for someone his age and with that many question marks. That would be ridiculous. Can't we just sign Emery now that the legit options are off the table. Halak would be the best choice IMO but his cap hit sucks. Really going to be interesting to see what goes down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad