OT: Tim Thomas wants to play for the Flyers (rumor)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No he couldn't, Look up Frank Brimsek, top ten goalie of all time. Thomas probably falls around the 30-50 range

He said the franchises #1 goalie of all time, not the NHL's. Brimsek has great numbers, but he also played in a completely different and less offensively oriented era. If Thomas had ended his career with the B's, he absolutely would get consideration as the B's best ever.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
He said the franchises #1 goalie of all time, not the NHL's. Brimsek has great numbers, but he also played in a completely different and less offensively oriented era. If Thomas had ended his career with the B's, he absolutely would get consideration as the B's best ever.

Which team did Brimsek play for? I was illustrating how much Thomas had to accomplish to be the Bruins best goalie of all time.

Brimsek was the best goalie the Bruins ever had and if not for World War Two, you'd probably see him mentioned in the same breath as Broduer and Hall in a historical sense.

For Thomas to hit that level he would need to add a lot more which I think is near-impossible considering his age. Two more Vezina quality seasons or another Conn Smythe, very tall task.

Brimsek
Thompson/Thomas (I always flip flop on this)
Cheevers
After that it's a grave yard of Dafoe, Peters, Henry etc. Hell, if Rask wins a Vezina he's probably the fifth best goalie the Bruins ever had already.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Why not?

THey will get 5 mil towards the Cap floor. And it won't cost them a cent in real dollars.

Daly told the press, that the league wasn't letting the $5m cap hit roll over. If Thomas were to play for the NYI, his caphit and salary would be $3m.

Thomas wants to play and impress Team USA execs for the 2014 Olympics.
Snow wants to bring back Nabby, who's had back to back solid seasons and been a strong locker room presence.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Which team did Brimsek play for? I was illustrating how much Thomas had to accomplish to be the Bruins best goalie of all time.

Brimsek was the best goalie the Bruins ever had and if not for World War Two, you'd probably see him mentioned in the same breath as Broduer and Hall in a historical sense.

For Thomas to hit that level he would need to add a lot more which I think is near-impossible considering his age. Two more Vezina quality seasons or another Conn Smythe, very tall task.

Brimsek
Cheevers
After that it's a grave yard of Dafoe, Peters, Henry etc. Hell, if Rask wins a Vezina he's probably the fifth best goalie the Bruins ever had already.

We don't know what Thomas could have accomplished this season, or even next.

Impossible to say. That is why I said "could have." That the chance was there is impossible to deny.

He didn't want it. He didn't take it. So we will never know, and that is unfortunate for us and for him.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
While not impossible, it's very improbable. But let's look at this logically, Thomas was never Chiarelli's guy. If Thomas played and Chiarelli didn't move Thomas in the off-season (which was speculated) chances are unless Thomas had another historic run like 2011 (very unlikely), Chiarelli let's Thomas walk.

Brimsek was the best goalie of an era, Thomas would have to do a lot to overcome that.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
While not impossible, it's very improbable. But let's look at this logically, Thomas was never Chiarelli's guy. If Thomas played and Chiarelli didn't move Thomas in the off-season (which was speculated) chances are unless Thomas had another historic run like 2011 (very unlikely), Chiarelli let's Thomas walk.

Brimsek was the best goalie of an era, Thomas would have to do a lot to overcome that.

Most certainly. As he should be, and I am glad that a guy who ultimately placed his own *priorities* over the Team, did not challenge Brimsek, who by all reports was a very proud Boston Bruin.

It is just too bad that it had to end like that for TT, and more importanly, the Fans.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We don't know what Thomas could have accomplished this season, or even next.

Impossible to say. That is why I said "could have." That the chance was there is impossible to deny.

He didn't want it. He didn't take it. So we will never know, and that is unfortunate for us and for him.

I'd be very suprised if Thomas could have outplayed Rask this year. Rask is one of the top handful of goalies in the league right now. Thomas had his day and may still have a year or two left but it is not even debateable right now who would be the better goalie. (love Thomas but still shocked he missed that shot without a screen against the Capitals- definitely distracted and it cost them/us)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Brimsek
Cheevers

I'm fully aware who Brimsek played for. That's him in your logo, so I'm guessing you are totally unbiased in this discussion? :laugh:

What you seem to be ignoring is that Brimsek played in a completely different era, when the NHL had 6 teams, and played a much less rigorous schedule.

In a 10 year career, Brimsek had a 2.70 GAA, which is good, but not earth-shattering (Rask is 2.20 and .926, and Thomas is 2.48 and .921).

He had 40 SO's in 514 NHL games while Thomas had 31 in 378 games, so Thomas' % of SO's is actually higher than Brimsek's (.082 vs .077).

The game has completely changed in the time that has passed since Brimsek played in the late 30's and 40's, and so has the training, nutrition, equipment, and other things that go hand in hand with the game. For this reason, I think it's impossible to compare goalies from different eras, but if you are hell-bent on doing it, Thomas has better numbers than Brimsek.

Also, while I do not like the way Thomas went out as a Bruin, and it influences these type of discussions, he has never played for another franchise in the NHL, while Brimsek did (Chicago in 49-50).

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Love TT, and hate that his Bruins career ended with a game 7 OTL.

I hate when athletes take a year off though and come back. I wish he'd just retired before this season. If he comes back though, I'll root very hard for him as I did with Pedro Martinez with the Mets and Phillies and Drew Bledsoe with the Bills and Cowboys.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Doubt flyers would be able to afford him with Bryzgalov's salary....

Not to mention the sideshow aspect that comes along with the player. The last thing that team needs is another 'quirky' goalie. I think Mason is a better fit for them, as of now.

qc

Aug 23, 2011

Not to mention the sideshow aspect that comes along with the player. The last thing that team needs is another 'quirky' goalie. I think Mason is a better fit for them, as of now.

Good points. I did read this morning that Lavi will not be fired, so there is a strong chance Bryz could get bought out.. He had some pretty confrontational (no surprise) remarks to the media before cleaning out his locker.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
They can have an out of shape, old drama queen goalie who hasn't stopped a puck in a year... He better start getting back into game shape, I know how good Timmy once was but that is going to be one hell of an uphill battle.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/status/328317099820859392

@RandyJMiller For what's it worth, i heard this week Tim Thomas wants to play for Flyers in '13-14.

id like to see anyone post an official break down of the trade before they claim to be experts on the details.

logically following what I know... the islanders traded for him to keep him on there cap. while suspended he doesn't make money but he does count for the cap

the islanders have the option to keep the contract like they did for Nabokov... they will do that. that's their entire reason for trading for him.

at some point Thomas will either report or remain retired. if he ever does report it will count as 'playing.' we will eventually get an asset if he ever does report

if he wishes to play for Philadelphia, he will have to sort that out with the islanders. he is their property. chiarelli is no idiot and everything ive read about the trade says that if he plays we will get our conditional return...

so if Thomas plays for philly... I expect that means we will get our conditional return.. and chances are the islanders would come out ahead too or why else would they give their rivals such a valuable asset?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I think its quite obvious that bryzaglov would be a compliance buyout before they had any interest at all in Thomas.

mason is a rebuilding project and might be a number 1 in a year or so again... but anyteam going into next year counting on him to be their number 1 is very Pejorative Slured.

Thomas might not have long left... so a tandem of Thomas/mason would actually make sense to me.

logically.. it makes sense

and if philly wants to afford it they can afford it. they do make enough money to do this if they want to

mobileusa

Mar 30, 2013
I'd be very suprised if Thomas could have outplayed Rask this year. Rask is one of the top handful of goalies in the league right now. Thomas had his day and may still have a year or two left but it is not even debateable right now who would be the better goalie. (love Thomas but still shocked he missed that shot without a screen against the Capitals- definitely distracted and it cost them/us)
:shakehead

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Happy trails to him, wherever he ends up. No reason for us to hold much against the guy, it's not like he left us stranded without a goalie; Tuuka and Who-doberman were ready for promotions.

As nutty as he was, he was a gentleman and a winner. Not much more we could ask for.
I'm down with this ^ point of view. If he comes back in a different NHL jersey, I give him one big standing ovation when he is introduced as a starter, then root against him and his new team, especially if it's Flyers or Habs. No 2011 Cup without Timmy. I am wondering if he's still harboring delusions about being chosen for US Olympic team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad