OT: Tim Thomas wants to play for the Flyers (rumor)

Tim O'Reilly

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ont.
Visit site
If Timmy goes there, he better be ready for the boo's. If he thought Bruin fans were hard on him when he let in a soft one, Philly fans will burn his garage down when he has a bad game. :laugh:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If Timmy goes there, he better be ready for the boo's. If he thought Bruin fans were hard on him when he let in a soft one, Philly fans will burn his garage down when he has a bad game. :laugh:

This explains why much of Philly looks like it has been burned down.

Pnut

Don't see why they would do that when Steve Mason has looked more like his rookie of the year candadicy self, since his trade to PHI. Looks like he needed the change of scenery.
Tim Thomas really has very little chance to sign in Philly. They have Bryz and Mason. I read recently that they might go after Miller. Why sign Timmy with rust when you can get Miller.

Oh and best of luck to you guys today, a regulation win against the Sens you will play my favorite team the Isles. Anthing else you get Toronto or Ottawa.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
and we're off......... :laugh:

No kidding. As much as I appreciate Duguay's efforts, there is no way to sum up what happened without it getting somewhat political. It's full of conjecture, perception, hearsay... tons of things.

He's not here any more, that's really all you can say. As far as caring, I care if/when he plays again for two reasons:

1. He is a Bruins legend
2. He is incredibly entertaining to watch.

Chieftans22*

It makes sense. Thomas gets a challenge. Thomas gets to stick it to us. (Though I think he is above that) The Flyers finally get a goalie capable of winning it for them while allowing them to play their open style.

Even if he did play for the Flyers next year, I'd be willing to bet he'd be nowhere even close to the 10-11 Timmy, and probably not even a top 10 goalie. Bryzgalov would be better.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Agreed!

I don't understand the obsessive negativity around a goaltender that had a large hand in bringing a cup to Boston. Yeah, so his politics are a little bizarre and don't trend with some folks' notion of acceptable...that should be where the "who cares" comment should be directed.

I have no problem at all with his politics but I won't be cheering for him while he's with another team. If he hadn't wigged out on us, he would've been a Bruins hero forever; a 21st century Gerry Cheevers. He has no enduring Bruins legacy now.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I have no problem at all with his politics but I won't be cheering for him while he's with another team. If he hadn't wigged out on us, he would've been a Bruins hero forever; a 21st century Gerry Cheevers. He has no enduring Bruins legacy now.

I am still cheering for him, and I think he will surprise everyone and still be a top 5 or 10 goalie if and when he returns. And he has a pretty solid legacy I'd argue. No one will think Tim Thomas and not think of the Cup!

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Happy trails to him, wherever he ends up. No reason for us to hold much against the guy, it's not like he left us stranded without a goalie; Tuuka and Who-doberman were ready for promotions.

As nutty as he was, he was a gentleman and a winner. Not much more we could ask for.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Putting up one of the best seasons all time by a goaltender should be a lasting legacy. His 2011 regular season/playoffs combined are up there with Bernie Parent and Ken Dryden. Frankly, Cheevers doesn't compare to Thomas, Thomas is far better

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If true, I wonder why he would WANT to play for Philly? Not slamming the Flyers, just curious. Is it one of his favorite cities?

JuicyJ*

No :(

Fortunately, I think they're set with Mason/Bryz next season. I can't find it possible to cheer against Thomas but Philly is the scummiest of scum. I hope he goes elsewhere where I can cheer for him and his team

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Is there any room for him on the 2014 US Olympic team? At one point it was "common knowledge" he wanted to play for USA. If this is still Timmy's goal it would make sense that he'd come back to the NHL next season.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Good luck to him.

I hope he wins the Vezina and carries them deep into the playoffs, adding to his well deserved legend status....

....and loses in Game 7 of the ECF to the Bruins. Hey, I love the guy and will always be thankful of the greatest sports related 2 months I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of but I don't love him more than I love OUR team. :)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
i heard timmy to philly this summer too last week. even busted a coworkers balls about it as he is a philly fan. comes from a reliable guy too, knows timmy spent all star weekend in ottowa with him last year, skates with his manager every week up here in Maine. guys close buddies with laviolette too although he might not have a job come monday but i think philly keeps him around. i dont put this past philly and the islander.

islanders just toll his contract, can trade him for whatever assets they can squeeze out of team, worse case they carry his unpaid salary and the cap hit for next year. not sure if i would do this if i was philly, but i have definitely heard this rumor from a very reliable person recently, this guy just does not talk ****, we talk hockey all the time and he is straight up reliable.

Isles are NOT tolling Thomas contract. He'll be a ufa in July, free to sign with whoever wants him.

No team is giving up at least a 2nd rounder for a rusty, 39 yr old TT, when the goalie market will be crowded.

And if the isles were to say trade him for a 3rd, they'd then have to turn around and send their 2nd rounder to Boston after he plays 1 game in 2013-2014. No thanks.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
i think the islanders toll his contract all the way, what do they have to lose, its free cap space, unless Wanger has a change of heart and his NYI make a deep run this spring. i think this rumor has some legs but some Timmy fanboys dont like it too much. the islanders could expand the deal, make it a bigger trade too and exchange some players/salaries with philly too. who knows.

Newsday recent reported that Snow wants his roster holes filled internally, with Nino/Strome/Nelson/Donovan expected to join next season's roster.

Isles have two more yrs in the Coliseum. They aren't looking to to bring in Thomas or expensive Philly vets.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Isles are NOT tolling Thomas contract. He'll be a ufa in July, free to sign with whoever wants him.

No team is giving up at least a 2nd rounder for a rusty, 39 yr old TT, when the goalie market will be crowded.

And if the isles were to say trade him for a 3rd, they'd then have to turn around and send their 2nd rounder to Boston after he plays 1 game in 2013-2014. No thanks.

Why not?

THey will get 5 mil towards the Cap floor. And it won't cost them a cent in real dollars.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Is there any room for him on the 2014 US Olympic team? At one point it was "common knowledge" he wanted to play for USA. If this is still Timmy's goal it would make sense that he'd come back to the NHL next season.

US already has Quick, Anderson, Howard and even our friend Miller. At his age after taking a year off it would be awfully tough to be good enough to make that team.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

abso-friggin-lutely. And it's a damn shame really. He could have easily become the franchises #1 Goalie of All time.

That is not worth a mention?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Unless Quick and Howard have great bounce-back years, Thomas is probably better than both of them.

Jim Howard .923 save percentage, 2.13 GAA, 5 SOs, 29 years old
Quick got off to a really slow start but has been better lately and was absolutely studly last year, 27 years old
Tim Thomas, 39 years old and took an entire season off, didn't have a great 2012 either.

Last edited:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
abso-friggin-lutely. And it's a damn shame really. He could have easily become the franchises #1 Goalie of All time.

That is not worth a mention?

No he couldn't, Look up Frank Brimsek, top ten goalie of all time. Thomas probably falls around the 30-50 range

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad