Player Discussion Tim Stützle - LW/C - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I tend to agree. He hasn't shown the defensive awareness at this level to transition to center yet, and I think DJ really wants his centers to play a two way game so unless Stützle focuses on that aspect of the game I doubt we move him to center.

Was there any D+1 Center in the league who showed enough defensive awareness to play Center yet ?

He’ll be 19 to start the season, I’m not remotely concerned that he hasn’t demonstrated that ability yet and fact he hasn’t doesn’t disqualify him from being a Center.

Reactions: Brandon Beyer

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I can't see DJ trusting a line of two rookies and a Jimmy, even though Pinto looked pretty good for his handful of games.

That's a massive risk for a team that can't risk another slow start to the season without having major consequences come down from the owner.

For Stutzle, I think 55-60 points, with 20-25 goals would be great.

So would you put Stutzle back with Pinto (a rookie) & C. Brown or do you have another line up in mind?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He was over 0.5pts a game and right around pacing to 20 goals so I would expect him to put up 25+ goals and over 60 points.

Can see him getting a bigger role on the PP and with the progression of the entire team think we will increase our goals per game...especially if Brann get regular ice time.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Was there any D+1 Center in the league who showed enough defensive awareness to play Center yet ?

He’ll be 19 to start the season, I’m not remotely concerned that he hasn’t demonstrated that ability yet and fact he hasn’t doesn’t disqualify him from being a Center.
He didn’t even play center in a 19 year olds tourney when he was 19. (Or 18)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Considering last year’s pace, the number of posts he hit, his elite talent level and drive to improve, I think 60-65 points is reasonable. Re-watching those highlights was a treat, we’re so lucky to have him

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Stuetzle White C. Brown

I don’t think White and Stutzle connected on 2 primary’s last year … why on earth would you think exposing Stutzle to that again would be a good idea for his development.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don’t think White and Stutzle connected on 2 primary’s last year … why on earth would you think exposing Stutzle to that again would be a good idea for his development.
I'm not interested in playing the White game with you

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He didn’t even play center in a 19 year olds tourney when he was 19. (Or 18)

I think Jimmy was 18 at the WJC’s… but almost 19 :) … he’s still eligible for the u20’s…

Agreed…and that should be considered … but Germany really only had 3 forwards and there was no chance that kid they played at Center could handle the wing.

It worries me a bit too but I think Germanies decision was based on trying to get one good line together they could double shift and Timmy was the better winger.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm not interested in playing the White game with you

Well … Stutzle with White is a terrible idea. Even geener knows that. Any Center who can’t get 2020-21 double digit assists with his PP time is a terrible top 6 option.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

tenor.gif

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Considering last year’s pace, the number of posts he hit, his elite talent level and drive to improve, I think 60-65 points is reasonable. Re-watching those highlights was a treat, we’re so lucky to have him

If he manages to put up 65 points as 19-20 year old sophomore, it would be the biggest stamp of confident in penciling this kid as a future superstar, especially with the current roster he's playing with. Even more of a home run if he manages to do that while transitioning to the center position, we'd be set if he takes up the mantle of 1c and excel at it. By far the best case scenario

Reactions: OD99 and Dionysus

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like your thinking. And with one hand tied behind his back too right? Would be even more amazing :sarcasm:

If he can convert on a handful of those near misses he’s already throwing at the net it will be something to see. If he’s able to add some tangible skill leaps to what he has already, whatch out!!

Reactions: SENStastic

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I can't remember being this hyped about a young forward on our team in a long time.

The highlight reel kind of shows it but he's not only fast, he's quick with his movements and it catches other players off guard even when they are tracking him.

The one funny thing is the puck tends to bobble a lot when he has it. Kind of reminds me of Heatley the way the puck was always bouncing around on his stick but he managed 50+ goals a few times and tons of assists every single year (and remember, he wasn't a drag on the PIZZA Line. When Spezza and/or Alfredsson were injured, his numbers dipped less than when Spezza/Alfredsson were in the same situation. Somehow despite the Heatley awkwardness, he got it done).

I really hope we can find some players to complement Stutzle.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Watching the highlights again and I am ever more convinced he is going to put up a big season - his shot is better than he gets credit for, he will be stronger/bigger/faster, he has LOADS of confidence to keep taking on defenders 1:1 and his defensive IQ is very good.

He may not be great in our end but he reads defensive plays in the offensive zone and neutral zone very well and breaks up a lot of plays. He also has the calm attitude to control the puck in our end if given any time so we can do a proper breakout. I feel the 25 goal / 60 point season is a given and probably vastly under-rating him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IIRC he didn’t play Center at the WJC notably because he was coming off a hand injury and didn’t have the strength back for draws.
Hard to say why, he hasn't consistently played center since before his draft year, but he's also been playing in pro league's as a kid. How long can he go not playing center before it impacts his development as a center?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
IIRC he didn’t play Center at the WJC notably because he was coming off a hand injury and didn’t have the strength back for draws.
So? He doesn’t need to take draws. After the faceoff he can move to center we see it every single game players doing that for draws

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
his shot is better than he gets credit for

Before and after the draft there were plenty of posts suggesting he had a poor shot, I'm not really sure where that originated from. Maybe it was his low goal total in the DEL and WJC that year but everything I had read about the player suggested he had an accurate shot with a good release which he didn't use enough. At the WJC following the draft, looked like he had really changed his shooting mentality. That carried over the NHL where he had 111 shots in 53 games which is a great pace for a 19 year old in his first season. He had ups and downs in terms of producing shots but the month of February he averaged 3 shots/gp. I think he can become a player who is between that 200-250 mark for shots in a season, and given his attacking play style and ability in transition, he will probably have an above average shooting% through his career. He will probably be around the 30 goal mark for most his prime with the potential to be closer to 40 if things so his way in a season.

The one funny thing is the puck tends to bobble a lot when he has it. Kind of reminds me of Heatley the way the puck was always bouncing around on his stick but he managed 50+ goals a few times and tons of assists every single year

I think apart of it his how far he has the puck out in front of him at times, combined with how fast he plays, he does lose control sometimes. I'm hopeful that with some more strength, especially core strength, he has better control of his body and doesn't lose handle of the puck as much.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa doesn't need Stutzle playing centre & who is to say whether he can handle all the duties of a centreman & take on some of these big centres in the NHL or whether it will hurt his offensive output. He's fine on the wing & Norris has played great at centre with Tkachuk & Batherson. I think he is more of a shooter than playmaker & he can also do that better from the wing IMO.

Ottawa just needs to find the right linemates for him & C. Brown & Pinto seemed to have some good chemistry with him to end last yr. Throw L. Brown in there who could be just the playmaker he needs to get him the puck in shooting positions & between those four they should be able to create a very good line. Within the next yr or two Boucher should show up & could compliment Stutzle's play even further. Ottawa already has enough good centres & it makes more sense to keep him on LW IMO, it's the defence that needs the most work & improvement. They should be able to make two good lines between Stutzle, L. Brown, Boucher, Formenton, Pinto & C. Brown.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Drai, Giroux and I believe Mackinnon all played 2 season on wing before moving to C.

I see that the case with Stutzle and that's perfectly fine. Till this day Lando still plays big C role on the line relative to other centerman.

Stutzle's game is meant for C, imo. Once he develops his power game and learns to use it in the NHL, it's only a matter of time. I saw him cut the middle farrrrr too many times for a "rookie winger" and that was indicative he will make the move over. He still needs to feel comfortable and dominate offensively and learn defensively for him to do it more seamlessly.

Idealy, Pinto becomes our Bergeron-lite and they dominate together. I absolutely loved what I saw from them together last year and that's with both as rookies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Drai, Giroux and I believe Mackinnon all played 2 season on wing before moving to C.

I see that the case with Stutzle and that's perfectly fine. Till this day Lando still plays big C role on the line relative to other centerman.

Stutzle's game is meant for C, imo. Once he develops his power game and learns to use it in the NHL, it's only a matter of time. I saw him cut the middle farrrrr too many times for a "rookie winger" and that was indicative he will make the move over. He still needs to feel comfortable and dominate offensively and learn defensively for him to do it more seamlessly.

Idealy, Pinto becomes our Bergeron-lite and they dominate together. I absolutely loved what I saw from them together last year and that's with both as rookies.
If the team is truly looking for a 1C in trade it would indicate to me that he’s not in the running for that position. With Norris and Pinto, we have a logjam at 2C too. So not sure he slots everyone down. Seems like he’s staying on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad