Player Discussion Tim Stützle - LW/C - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That became apparent during this season. He needs a couple years of muscle building to play centre and by that time it will have been his whole pro career at wing. I was way off on this one but it doesn’t really matter. Patty Kane and Panarin drive play from the wing and they are 2 of the top 10 players in the league.

Kucherov makes that 3. I still see him crossing the middle of the ice a lot to not eventually be a C, tbh. But nonetheless, he will still be a superstar force.

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Game is so different now that at least offensively the F positions are almost interchangeable.

Was hoping to see him at C but we know what kind of impact a top W can have so no issues with him remaining there.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If playing him at W means you get more offensive creativity out of him than restricting him for the sake of fulfilling C duties, I say go for it. Guys like Norris and Pinto are far better suited to the middle of the ice because playing responsibly is native to their skillset. I'm not saying Stutzle will be a bad defensive player but I think the capability for him to fly the zone, turn on the burners and generate high danger scoring chances will create a far greater impact for this team offensively than him hanging low in the defensive zone while trying to win the puck back in physical battles.

I'll take Stutzle at 75 points on the wing with relatively few restrictions on how he plays over 55 points with defensive responsibility.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If playing him at W means you get more offensive creativity out of him than restricting him for the sake of fulfilling C duties, I say go for it. Guys like Norris and Pinto are far better suited to the middle of the ice because playing responsibly is native to their skillset. I'm not saying Stutzle will be a bad defensive player but I think the capability for him to fly the zone, turn on the burners and generate high danger scoring chances will create a far greater impact for this team offensively than him hanging low in the defensive zone while trying to win the puck back in physical battles.

I'll take Stutzle at 75 points on the wing with relatively few restrictions on how he plays over 55 points with defensive responsibility.

What about the breakout support he would provide from the center position though? His escapability is Karlsson-esque and he carries the same strengths of being able to skate it or pass it. Playing him at center would give him greater range to utilize his rare skillset.

Pigeonholing him at W is a partial waste.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Offensive centres exist

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Centers tend to produce more, not less. You get extra touches which leads to more assists. Stützle being defensively responsible shouldn't take away from his production to the degree you example suggests, if at all, a 20 point difference? That's insane...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
So on the TSN broadcast of the Germany game, the commentator says that Stutzle elected not to play for Germany in this World Championship meanwhile the German media say that the Senators told Stutzle not to play in the tournament. Which one is it?

Reactions: NB613

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
So on the TSN broadcast of the Germany game, the commentator says that Stutzle elected not to play for Germany in this World Championship meanwhile the German media say that the Senators told Stutzle not to play in the tournament. Which one is it?

The Senators already have a number of players going. Why would they tell Stützle not to?

He already said he was going to skip it because his hand was still bothering him. Plus he intended to spend the summer in Mannheim.

Reactions: NB613 and Emerica

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It wouldn't be unusual for a team to say "hey you're tired and worn out, you'd be better off taking the time off to recover and then be ready for next year" whereas a player might want to go to a tournament out of personal loyalty to the coach, friends on the team etc. I'm not saying that's what happened but it wouldn't be unheard of.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
It wouldn't be unusual for a team to say "hey you're tired and worn out, you'd be better off taking the time off to recover and then be ready for next year" whereas a player might want to go to a tournament out of personal loyalty to the coach, friends on the team etc. I'm not saying that's what happened but it wouldn't be unheard of.
I'm sure the team had some input but to me this was probably a mutual decision by both parties. The way it was framed in your post was that Ottawa denied him the opportunity, which by all accounts is not accurate. Its pretty evident Stutzle hit a wall in the season and looked pretty worn out at the end, he would probably be the first to tell you. I'm sure if he truly wanted to be at the championships he would be.

Reactions: NB613 and Crosside

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Probably the team sugest to him , would be a good thing not to go . And Stutzle think about that and determine not to go

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm sure the team had some input but to me this was probably a mutual decision by both parties. The way it was framed in your post was that Ottawa denied him the opportunity, which by all accounts is not accurate. Its pretty evident Stutzle hit a wall in the season and looked pretty worn out at the end, he would probably be the first to tell you. I'm sure if he truly wanted to be at the championships he would be.

In my post I was referring to contradictory reports I heard on it. The German report said "Shootingstar Tim Stützle, der von den Ottawa Senators keine Freigabe erhalten hat" which translates to "who did not get clearance to play from the Ottawa Senators" (this is from a list of players who are missing the tournament). That sounds like the Senators refusing to let him play. That report might well be false - which is why I asked people on this forum who might have heard more about it in the local Ottawa media.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
NHL game is not really punishable on a body just look at Mitch Marne and his light feather 174 pounds body. If it is not a playoffs hockey of course, where game managers allow interference hit fest.
And teams are looking to kill best players in the first 2-3 games
And that's why light feather Marner probably will end up with almost no points. White is less in stature then Stutzle and he plays center. Steve Yzerman was just small at 5.11. And there are so many examples like this.
Stutzle is already displaying 196 pounds body - all muscles comparing to his just decent height. He is already built like a rock. Anything more, will affect his skating game.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
In my post I was referring to contradictory reports I heard on it. The German report said "Shootingstar Tim Stützle, der von den Ottawa Senators keine Freigabe erhalten hat" which translates to "who did not get clearance to play from the Ottawa Senators" (this is from a list of players who are missing the tournament). That sounds like the Senators refusing to let him play. That report might well be false - which is why I asked people on this forum who might have heard more about it in the local Ottawa media.
On in interview Stutzle talk about he don t going to the WC because he have injury at his hand at start of the year. Also said was a big year and want to spend time with family and friends

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
It's obvious he's just blaming the Senators when talking to the German media in order to escape any questions about his committment to Deutschland. It's a smart move.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
It's obvious he's just blaming the Senators when talking to the German media in order to escape any questions about his committment to Deutschland. It's a smart move.
Could be both too. Sens tell Stutzle not to play because of injury, Stutzle in turn tells NA media he's injured and tired, media reports. Stutzle tells Germany Sens said best not [due to past injury], Germany tells German media Sens told Stutzle not to play, media reports.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
It is all of the above. He could have gone if he really wanted to but probably came to the conclusion that it would be better for his development if he wouldn't go.

The idea that he isn't commited to Germany is wrong. Even if this was the case, why would he want to miss the opportunity to play with his best friends Seider, Peterka and Reichel after not having been able to see each other for such a long time?

But let's get to the point. This is exactly what he said in this interview at 7:45 when being asked if he will join the German team:
'I don't know, I will have to talk to the GM and coach what would be the best thing for me. I still have some problems with my hand, which needs surgery, and one has therefore to see what will happen'.

Reactions: NB613 and Emrasie

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

It would be unusual. I have not heard of a team taking this approach... Do you have an example where this happened?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought when we drafted him that his game was more suited for the wing & nothing has changed my mind all yr. If Ottawa believes they have two top six centres in Norris & Pinto than Stutzle will most likely stay on the wing with Pinto as his centre. There is also L. Brown to consider although he now seems to have an outside chance of being a top six centre here.

I also don't think it matters whether Stutzle drives play from the wing rather than centre, he does concern me when he goes through centre that some defenceman isn't looking to drive him coming through the middle if they catch him with his head down. I think he can have just as good a career on the wing as centre & probably better given the opportunities he will get on the wing. He had a pretty good rookie yr on the wing & as he learns & gets stronger I expect that to only improve his play & scoring ability.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Nothing wrong with a franchise winger, plenty of great NHL wingers throughout history.

If he ends up a center, then great, if not then so be it, one of my favourite players (not person) is Patrick Kane and he is a winger.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Nothing wrong with a franchise winger, plenty of great NHL wingers throughout history.

If he ends up a center, then great, if not then so be it, one of my favourite players (not person) is Patrick Kane and he is a winger.

I love Paddy (you all know). He would look so amazing in a Sens uni. I hope he’s on our offseason check in list. His style of play would do wonders for Jimmy’s development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad