Player Discussion Tim Stützle | 3rd OVR 2020 | C | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
tbf I think that was their rank around the beginning of that season and they never updated it. Most people had Stutzle as merely a top 10-15 pick until he raised his stock bigtime throughout the season.
No, they had him 8th going into the draft. Just watch this thread.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
Just a question, why hasn't he been given a shot at center yet?

My guess to the center question is that they don’t want him to overthink his game. Lots of young players get caught up in being over defensive (White last season) and they want Jimmy’s offense to flourish. He’ll definitely make the transition at some point, though.

Reactions: Icelevel

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Do you plan on having him transition to C LT or with his speed and shot does he project more as a Winger?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Do you plan on having him transition to C LT or with his speed and shot does he project more as a Winger?

Every indication is that they will give him an opportunity at C at some point, might be this season, might be next. Depends on how quickly he is able to grow as a player. He definitely has a skill set that would thrive offensively, play in his own zone has to improve.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
tbf I think that was their rank around the beginning of that season and they never updated it. Most people had Stutzle as merely a top 10-15 pick until he raised his stock bigtime throughout the season.
No, they did a podcast/draft video explaining why Stutzle was at 8 shortly before the draft

Eliteprospects is great for getting stats and a ranking database, it's terrible for evaluations.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I remember after the draft one of the advance stats gurus, Bryon Bader, said we should have drafted Perfetti or Rossi instead of Stutzle, lol

I hate projections like this.

"This guy is overrated and I think he doesn't have the potential of player x or player y, but i can see why people might think this guy is good and will be better than player x and player y and he will definitely be a really great pick".

Grow a pair and own your take.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I hate projections like this.

"This guy is overrated and I think he doesn't have the potential of player x or player y, but i can see why people might think this guy is good and will be better than player x and player y and he will definitely be a really great pick".

Grow a pair and own your take.

I blocked that dumb arse. Never want to see his crap anywhere.

Anyone with a brain knew Stützle has elite skating and ranking him 8th was moronic.

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018
I remember draft day and hoping the Kings took Stutzle. I really wanted Byfield. Now, Byfield may turn out to be a fantastic player over his career but I just can't imagine him being a more dynamic player than Stutzle. Sometimes the other team taking the decision out of your hands is the best thing. So stoked we get to watch this guy on a regular basis. He's going to be a special player.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Yes. Coach DJ said last week that the plan is to move him to center eventually. They don’t want to overwhelm him though. They like his progression so far.
I wouldn't be surprised if the plan changes with another top pick.

Stützle - Beniers - Batherson
Tkachuk - Pinto - Norris

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder how Logan Brown would look between Stutzle and Batherson?

Just one game. See what happens.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Every indication is that they will give him an opportunity at C at some point, might be this season, might be next. Depends on how quickly he is able to grow as a player. He definitely has a skill set that would thrive offensively, play in his own zone has to improve.
I think he would be better defensively as a centre. He would be a great outlet for our D and can be a one man breakout like EK was. He does need to get a bit stronger.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think he would be better defensively as a centre. He would be a great outlet for our D and can be a one man breakout like EK was. He does need to get a bit stronger.

I'm not sure if he needs to get stronger or if he just needs to adjust to the strength of NHL players. I think it could be a case not expecting how hard guys push on him in puck battles,

That's not to say adding more strength won't help, I just don't think it's a limiting factor right now, just like particularly earlier, I found he was making passes not realizing how quick NHL players can close gaps or close off lanes which resulted in some turn overs. He's adjusting and now and makes fewer of those turnovers, particularly in the defensive end

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
you guys realize players can improve? His shot was a weakness last year relative to his all-round elite skillset. He worked on it, and it's gonna get even better.

I don't think it was ever a weakness, the book was he didn't use it enough. I'm sure it's improved but the biggest change has been his shooting mentality. Prior to the draft he was profiled as a playmaker but then he came to the WJC and had 20 shots in 5 games and he's carried that (good) selfishness into the NHL. It looks like he is going to be a dual threat.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't think it was ever a weakness, the book was he didn't use it enough. I'm sure it's improved but the biggest change has been his shooting mentality. Prior to the draft he was profiled as a playmaker but then he came to the WJC and had 20 shots in 5 games and he's carried that (good) selfishness into the NHL. It looks like he is going to be a dual threat.

It was a weakness relative to his other skills imo which were all elite, while the best you could have said about his shot back then was above average. He was a very aggressive offensive player and put himself in really good positions to shoot in the DEL. He just wasn't able to do a lot of damage with his shot.

I agree now he's involved into even more of a shooter likely due to increased confidence after working on his shot as well as natural progression in strength from his 17 year old season to now.

Though right now I'd still classify his shot as the weakest part of his offensive skillset despite his ability to score.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I didn't see much difference between Alex Lafreniere & Stutzle before the draft & the same thing applies now. Although NHL.com has Lafreniere at 6'2" now, funny how they grow on these sites quicker than in real life. I don't see Stutzle as a centre in the NHL, not that it couldn't happen & they will probably try him there down the road but he could probably do more from the wing than centre where he would have a lot more defensive responsibility.

He's not as good a player maker as I thought he would be either although that can improve too & he mostly stays to the outside or perimeter. He certainly has the skillset & potential to be the best player from his draft & as this team gets better so should he, but it's still too early to make any clear assumptions. Now they need another high level skilled player on the right side like Guenther from this 2021 draft.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
I don't know how you could be a playmaker with an anchor like Stepan at center.. I hope he stays all season with Batherson, i think they've developed some chemistry the last few games.
And he was a playmaker on the goal they were involved against the leafs. To be a playmaker you need player who makes the play succeed.

It's hard to find this year at Ottawa.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This is discussed in post game thread but going to add it here as it seems like it has already gone on long enough.

The team needs to step up and show this young man they have his back with all the cheap stuff going on. There isn't even a scrum after multiple high sticks, late hits, slashes to the hands, etc...

Of course he will be a target for teams and he needs to play through extra attention but enough is enough with the liberties on him game after game.

I am not asking for staged fights but I want a vet (NOT TKACHUK) to step in and defend him immediately. Screw the penalty, teams learn to kill those penalties off and get an energy boost from it. Show the kid you have his back and that he can dangle all day.

Reactions: Asquaredx2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad