Player Discussion Tim Stützle | 3rd OVR 2020 | C | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
And if I remember correctly, his shot was one of his weaknesses in his pre-draft evaluations :laugh:

It clearly was, they did not get it wrong.

It is more a testament of Stutzle working like hell on his shot since then than it is of a poor evaluation. It literally went from a weakness to a strength. You could even hear commentators at Worlds saying "where did this shot come from?"

h2

Mar 26, 2002

It is more a testament of Stutzle working like hell on his shot since then than it is of a poor evaluation. It literally went from a weakness to a strength. You could even hear commentators at Worlds saying "where did this shot come from?"

There was still a few Sens fans saying his shot was a weakness at the WJC in December which I thought was very odd.

Like this:
The only clear weakness in his game seems to be his shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhutter

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Superstar in the making. Would not be surprised to see him have a PPG season as early as next year. If he moves to centre, him and Batherson could be a hell of first line as early as 2021.

Reactions: jhutter

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Superstar in the making. Would not be surprised to see him have a PPG season as early as next year. If he moves to centre, him and Batherson could be a hell of first line as early as 2021.

The team is going to need to vastly improve, or score a ton more goals for him to hit PPG. He certainly has the ability, but he won't fully blossom without some support.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

These evaluations were coming in quite late, and as recent as the WJC. I'm sure he worked hard to improve his shot, but I think there was a little bit of misevaluation at play as well.

Reactions: h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
These evaluations were coming in quite late, and as recent as the WJC. I'm sure he worked hard to improve his shot, but I think there was a little bit of misevaluation at play as well.

Misevaluation was definitely at play.

I remember watching Stutzle fly down the wing at the WJC (similar to the TOR goal last night) and firing an absolute laser that the goalie didn't even react to and it rang right off the crossbar. I was amazed by that shot and still saw criticisms on his shooting ability right after (mentioned earlier on this page). I was completely dumbfounded.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
The team is going to need to vastly improve, or score a ton more goals for him to hit PPG. He certainly has the ability, but he won't fully blossom without some support.
For sure, improved powerplay from Norris, Batherson and Tkatchuk improving should provide a boost. Brannstrom, Zub and maybe JBD will also hopefully provide more support in getting the puck up the ice. Stuezle has an ability to make offense all by himself, has been on fire recently and his offensive skill is clearly an echelon higher than any young forward we have had in a long long time (probably since Spezza, obviously Stone was also elite but he created offence by just being a near flawless player in all zones and not sheer skill).

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not really sure where the narrative of his shot being bad came from, I suspect it was his low goal totals.

Here is what HockeyProspect.com said about his shot in their draft guide.

"The final area to breakdown regarding Stützle skill-set is his release. He’s not an instinctive shooter and you could make an argument that he underutilizes his release, which is a contributing factor to his lower goal scoring output this season relative to his assist totals. That said, don’t mistake his low scoring total for a prospect who doesn’t have the ability to shoot the puck. Stützle has the mechanics necessary to be an impact scorer at the NHL-level. The most notable aspects of his release point are in regards to his footwork and his coordination within his shot. The footwork allows him to generate additional velocity by gaining inside positioning on his release point, as well as masking the specific point of the release. "

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see Stutzle playing centre in the NHL just yet, he's still mostly a perimeter player & most goals in the NHL are scored from Tkachuk's office in front of the net. A centre ice man has to control the centre of the ice & Stutzle is too much all over the place to do that. However, given the number of big centre ice men in this division I would like to see Paul centre Stutzle & Batherson to see what that line could do.

Tkachuk - Norris - C. Brown
Stutzle - Paul - Batherson
Formenton - White - Dadonov

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Not really sure where the narrative of his shot being bad came from, I suspect it was his low goal totals.

Here is what HockeyProspect.com said about his shot in their draft guide.

"The final area to breakdown regarding Stützle skill-set is his release. He’s not an instinctive shooter and you could make an argument that he underutilizes his release, which is a contributing factor to his lower goal scoring output this season relative to his assist totals. That said, don’t mistake his low scoring total for a prospect who doesn’t have the ability to shoot the puck. Stützle has the mechanics necessary to be an impact scorer at the NHL-level. The most notable aspects of his release point are in regards to his footwork and his coordination within his shot. The footwork allows him to generate additional velocity by gaining inside positioning on his release point, as well as masking the specific point of the release. "
Probably people who ranked him 8th

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
you guys realize players can improve? His shot was a weakness last year relative to his all-round elite skillset. He worked on it, and it's gonna get even better.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
you guys realize players can improve? His shot was a weakness last year relative to his all-round elite skillset. He worked on it, and it's gonna get even better.

Of course, but the transition from a weakness to a strength normally doesn't occur from practicing it for a couple of months. I think what most people are trying to say is that while he likely did improve his shot, the evaluations that described his shot as being a weakness were inaccurate.

Reactions: SensontheRush

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Ian Moran had him at like 13 or 14, lol. There are always going to be those out there rankings, and not all scouts are created equal.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Spezza was pretty damn talented...

Arguably so was Daigle though he lacked motivation.
Spezza didn’t have the speed but had great hands. Yashin didn’t have speed but had even better hands than Spezza. Karlsson had speed, agility, great IQ and high compete but not the greatest hands. Jimmy has everything Karlsson had with insane hands.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

Just a question, why hasn't he been given a shot at center yet?

Also, I noticed in the first few games of the season that they had him on the 2nd PP unit, have they moved him up yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad