Player Discussion Tim Stützle | 3rd OVR 2020 | C | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hope he gets an extended look at C soon.

We are supposed to be terrible, a good opportunity to let him get comfortable at C.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Elias Pettersson did OK at centre as a rookie weighing like 160lbs.

Elias Pettersson didn't play in the NHL in his D+1 year

Stutzle needs to get stronger, it's evident watching him play. And he's living with 2 guys that are workout fiends so I'm sure he'll get his gym time in the summer.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

Stutzle needs to get stronger, it's evident watching him play. And he's living with 2 guys that are workout fiends so I'm sure he'll get his gym time in the summer.

He was still a stick who didnt have 'NHL centreman strength'. He was no bigger than Timmy is.

I dont buy into the whole he isnt strong enough to play centre thing. If its cuz of his injured wrist, fair enough.

Reactions: OD99

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He was still a stick who didnt have 'NHL centreman strength'. He was no bigger than Timmy is.

I dont buy into the whole he isnt strong enough to play centre thing. If its cuz of his injured wrist, fair enough.

Well, the wrist is why he apparently played wing at the WJC. Couldn't take faceoffs

Players break into the NHL on the wing and transition to centre all the time. I don't see any need at all to rush him to play centre

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Well, the wrist is why he apparently played wing at the WJC. Couldn't take faceoffs

Players break into the NHL on the wing and transition to centre all the time. I don't see any need at all to rush him to play centre

For sure. I dont mind him on the wing. I'm not getting my undies in a bunch about getting him there now. I just personally don't buy the whole not strong enough angle. I think he'd be fine. If not, shift him back. Not the end of the world.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
More personality would be nice but I could do without every star choosing a team like the NYR, TML or Flyers and signing cheap contracts to make superteams.

Forget personality, the NBA sucks, it's just style over substance. I'd rather talk about the game then talk about who some player is dating or what they said in their postgame press conference or have half the superstars shuffle where they play in the offseason. Turning a sport into a reality show doesn't make it better, it just brings in more money and attention from the casuals.

Timmy is great though. Skill is on display each game and seems like him and Batherson are starting to work well together. Powerplay is best it's been in years the past few games.

Reactions: K1900L

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Elias Pettersson is currently 176 pounds.

Tim Stützle is 187 pounds.

The notion that Elias is strong enough to play C but Tim isn't is nonsense.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Stutzle doesn't need to get bigger, he needs to get stronger, there's a slight difference. Sometimes he gets bumped off the puck like he's an adolescent. He needs to know when to use his skill, when to expect a hit. We've seen him fall on his ass doing a 360 twirl because he whiffs on a shot or even pass. It's just inexperience and improving balance workouts, core, conditioning etc..

We have also seen him play a physical brand of hockey, he can really injure himself if he underestimates his strength down the middle of the ice trying to dangle and gets lined up by a much stronger defender.

Last edited:

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I have absolutely no worries about Tim’s size or strength. That man strength will come, and is rare to have as a 19 year old. Joe Thornton couldn’t do a single bench press rep at 135lbs when he broke into the league, and was manhandled for the first little while. Tim is miles ahead of that, and is going to be a superstar in this league.

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Tell you what, i don't need to go to hockey db to look up weights to tell you that Stuetzle is not ready to play centre. I can tell that by watching the games. He's not physically mature enough.

Look at the post from @ReginKarlssonLehner he expands on it.

It's got nothing to do with his weight really, it's his strength on his skates not being where it needs to be

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Tell you what, i don't need to go to hockey db to look up weights to tell you that Stuetzle is not ready to play centre. I can tell that by watching the games. He's not physically mature enough.

It's got nothing to do with his weight really, it's his strength on his skates not being where it needs to be

Not sure this is compelling enough for me to buy it.

What extra strength is required at C as compared to W anyway?

He wins plenty of battles on the boards, takes hits and keeps going with the puck. Has delivered some nice hits and "reverse hits".

Even in his draft video you can see he is thick and mature physically for his age - his legs look like they will be Alfie-esque.

Read The

Feb 7, 2021
There are probably weaker C's who play center than Stutzle. Being a center is a lot more about positional play, supporting your teammates, and mobility. Stutzle can do or leard to do all these things and would be fine at center.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not sure this is compelling enough for me to buy it.

What extra strength is required at C as compared to W anyway?

He wins plenty of battles on the boards, takes hits and keeps going with the puck. Has delivered some nice hits and "reverse hits".

Even in his draft video you can see he is thick and mature physically for his age - his legs look like they will be Alfie-esque.

He needs to be able to play below the goaline in our end against big men and not when he chooses, whenever the puck is there.

He rushes the puck, he gets below the goaline in the O zone, but he's not thriving there. He's thriving when he creates open ice for himself which he is very good at doing.

I just don't see him as ready to play below our goal line.

Actually to me, he looks dazzling on the wing and he'll only look better there. I'd have no issues if they left him there

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He needs to be able to play below the goaline in our end against big men and not when he chooses, whenever the puck is there.

He rushes the puck, he gets below the goaline in the O zone, but he's not thriving there. He's thriving when he creates open ice for himself which he is very good at doing.

I just don't see him as ready to play below our goal line.

Actually to me, he looks dazzling on the wing and he'll only look better there. I'd have no issues if they left him there

All I see is the potential in that regard. He's already our best player in terms of escapabillity and puck control. Going forward he could be a player who can pick up the puck below the goal line, evade a couple of forecheckers, and launch a dangerous attack for his team.

We've already seen how valuable this ability can be for a team with Karlsson. I see no reason why shouldn't nurture and exploit the same tendencies in Stutzle.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I'm well aware of the difference between size and strength. I nearly replied to @ReginKarlssonLehner regarding that topic.

Watching Elias you can see him easily out muscled. Dude needs to hit the gym.

Of course Stutzle needs to add strength. Hes 19 what rookie doesn't.

But id bet my house that Stutzle is stronger than Pettersson

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Stutzle doesn't need to get bigger, he needs to get stronger, there's a slight difference. Sometimes he gets bumped off the puck like he's an adolescent. He needs to know when to use his skill, when to expect a hit. We've seen him fall on his ass doing a 360 twirl because he whiffs on a shot or even pass. It's just inexperience and improving balance workouts, core, conditioning etc..

We have also seen him play a physical brand of hockey, he can really injure himself if he underestimates his strength down the middle of the ice trying to dangle and gets lined up by a much stronger defender.

Respectfully, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: Masked

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Respectfully, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I hate using this because I might come off pretentious but I am/was an intense athlete, I weighed the same amount from my teens to my youth but my strength was much different depending on my training, exercise, mass density etc. That led to strength and power(boxing) which was calculable. Some of it is just experience of knowing when to use it(for example some guys stronger on their skates). I was speaking from experience.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Right now, Stuetzle doesn't have the strength to play C, putting him there doesn't do him or the team any favours

I'm not sure I get why he needs to play C at all. He can drive a line from the wing
If he progresses at the rate I expect he will be a 10M+ player. I’d rather pay that to my #1 centre.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If he progresses at the rate I expect he will be a 10M+ player. I’d rather pay that to my #1 centre.

He'll play there inevitably, we have seen him cross the middle of the ice many times recently; much more than what a typical winger would do. He's a natural C the way he sees the ice, imo. He'll transition nicely. His arm also was a bit tweaked and bothering him after the injury as well, I am sure management want it fully healed before he takes on faceoff duty and such.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He'll play there inevitably, we have seen him cross the middle of the ice many times recently; much more than what a typical winger would do. He's a natural C the way he sees the ice, imo. He'll transition nicely. His arm also was a bit tweaked and bothering him after the injury as well, I am sure management want it fully healed before he takes on faceoff duty and such.
Can just play center after the Faceoff

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
The valid argument against Stutzle playing C right now, has to do with the responsibilities associated, not his physical strength. I think he’ll be there before long though. Maybe Paul-Stutzle-Batherson is a line where you can shift Paul to the middle if Jimmy starts to struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad