• Wing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This is pretty high praise. You guys have me jacked to watch him. Are we sure?...those expectations are huge. It would be amazing if that's what he is.

In a best case scenario I could absolutely see Stutzle end up as a PPG #1 C/LW.

He's arguably the most dynamic forward in terms of speed and puckhandling ability to come around since McDavid.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Pretty sure Stuetzle is as ready as the players you mentioned.

I don’t know - Brown, Norris, and Form have developed a lot since their 19 year old seasons. A 21 year old Formenton on his way to 30+ goals in the AHL may be ahead of TS in January.

I don’t know if TS would score 30+ this season in the AHL.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Congrats on drafting him he was on my list as number 2 hopefully he proves Kings wrong. Will see in few years. Happy Senators have some upside so maybe competitive again.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Stuetzle was playing on the ninth place team, and was one of the most dynamic players in the tournament. Neither Paul nor Formenton played in the WJCs at 18, so I don't really understand your argument.

Also, no one in their right mind would give two *hits whether Balcers or Paul became "cranky" if Stuetzle took their spot. They'll be 24 and 25 this season respectively, and are spare parts compared to the 30A pillar of the rebuild.

Paul won’t loose a spot, it will be Norris, Form, or Brown.

I love The TS pick ... but he was last on his team in scoring at the 2019 WJC and 5th in points on your 9th place team. I’m sure he will dominate this year.

I think he can survive - A pass first Zadina type season feels very possible. I just cringe at the loss of opportunity to Brown, Form, Norris or whoever.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Formenton, Norris, L.Brown deserve to get a good look in the NHL, especially if they kill it at camp.
You make room for those guys by sitting Anisimov, Watson and Paul.
I also want to see how Balcers and Abramov perform (Abramov especially, I think he can become a top-6 goal scorer)

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Formenton, Norris, L.Brown deserve to get a good look in the NHL, especially if they kill it at camp.
You make room for those guys by sitting Anisimov, Watson and Paul.
I also want to see how Balcers and Abramov perform (Abramov especially, I think he can become a top-6 goal scorer)
You don’t Watson and Paul, they fill a specific role that others cant

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You don’t Watson and Paul, they fill a specific role that others cant

3rd/4th line grinders? They're useful but not necessary for every game. Especially on a young team like Ottawa where the coach should be experimenting with the lines until there's stability and chemistry.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
3rd/4th line grinders? They're useful but not necessary for every game. Especially on a young team like Ottawa where the coach should be experimenting with the lines until there's stability and chemistry.
No they are critical to the way the team wants to play.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Which draft would he go 1st overall. I think he would have went over Patrick and hischier for sure. Other than that though I’m not sure.

I said "a guy that COULD even be a 1st OA pick in some other drafts."

The use of "could" means it's not an affirmation.

You realize the entry draft started in 1979, right? And even before that, there was the amateur draft

NHL and WHA Draft History at Hockeydb.com

Using hindsight, the prospect that Stuetzle is at the moment would absolutely go 1st OA in several drafts (that's if you compare to 1st OA picks only, of course)

Without using hindsight the prospect that Stuetzle is at the moment would absolutely be in discussion for 1st OA in several drafts, which was my initial point. Not more complicated than that

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Young players creating stability and finding chemistry on their own without seasoned pros?

With out strong veterans your rookies would spend 60 min chasing the puck each game.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Young players creating stability and finding chemistry on their own without seasoned pros?

With out strong veterans your rookies would spend 60 min chasing the puck each game.

Are there no other 'seasoned' pros on this Ottawa team? Is it just Anisimov, Watson and Paul?
I'm not saying expect a line of Form-Norris-Abramov to play in the NHL with no problems, but I am also not saying that they absolutely need a veteran in there. It's just a matter of trial and error.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Are there no other 'seasoned' pros on this Ottawa team? Is it just Anisimov, Watson and Paul?
I'm not saying expect a line of Form-Norris-Abramov to play in the NHL with no problems, but I am also not saying that they absolutely need a veteran in there. It's just a matter of trial and error.

Hmmm... who else can we rely on to carry players ? white ? Hard no ! Brady ... a bit but he’s 20. CT will tread water and Dadonov will score if you give him the puck.... but who is going to get the puck?

I think Norris and Bath are ready to hold their own but they need some support.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Hmmm... who else can we rely on to carry players ? white ? Hard no ! Brady ... a bit but he’s 20. CT will tread water and Dadonov will score if you give him the puck.... but who is going to get the puck?

I think Norris and Bath are ready to hold their own but they need some support.

I think everyone I mentioned above needs to get a look; some longer than others. Norris and Forms killed the AHL; they should be getting ice time to show what they can do. Logan Brown needs to get a crack as well just because of his draft pedigree. If he can't cut he'll be on his way out. I guess Galchenyuk could be scratched as well.

They would be dumb not to see what they have in those guys.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think everyone I mentioned above needs to get a look; some longer than others. Norris and Forms killed the AHL; they should be getting ice time to show what they can do. Logan Brown needs to get a crack as well just because of his draft pedigree. If he can't cut he'll be on his way out. I guess Galchenyuk could be scratched as well.

They would be dumb not to see what they have in those guys.

I agree... I want the kids playing.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I said "a guy that COULD even be a 1st OA pick in some other drafts."

The use of "could" means it's not an affirmation.

You realize the entry draft started in 1979, right? And even before that, there was the amateur draft

NHL and WHA Draft History at Hockeydb.com

Using hindsight, the prospect that Stuetzle is at the moment would absolutely go 1st OA in several drafts.

Without using hindsight the prospect that Stuetzle is at the moment would absolutely be in discussion for 1st OA in several drafts
Lmao oh you were talking about obscure drafts in the 80s? haha

oh and the amateur draft pre 1979...

I was simply asking which one COULD he go 1OA.

I forgot the Yakupov draft. so there’s one where he would have been in discussion and maybe even went first.

Okay so I guess using hindsight which would he go first overall? Dating back to...1960 lol.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I forgot the Yakupov draft. so there’s one where he would have been in discussion and maybe even went first.

Okay so I guess using hindsight which would he go first overall? Dating back to...1960 lol.

The Yakopov draft ... hahaha ... I remember when I said I would never draft that guy & lots of people argued with me for days about how great he was going to be.

Where is he today ....... no really ........ where is he????? Siberia????

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The Yakopov draft ... hahaha ... I remember when I said I would never draft that guy & lots of people argued with me for days about how great he was going to be.

Where is he today ....... no really ........ where is he????? Siberia????
Yeah. That’s a bust for sure.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It's impossible to know for sure and I am a little bullish on Stuetzle but I think he would be in the conversation for 1st in:

2011 (RNH)
2012 (yak)
2014 (Ekblad)
2017 (Hischier)

I think Hughes in 2019 probably still goes ahead of him even though I'm not a big fan, but it is probably seen in a similar light as Hall vs Seguin, for that matter he might be in the conversation in 2010 vs Hall as well but ultimately fall behind.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's impossible to know for sure and I am a little bullish on Stuetzle but I think he would be in the conversation for 1st in:

2011 (RNH)
2012 (yak)
2014 (Ekblad)
2017 (Hischier)

I think Hughes in 2019 probably still goes ahead of him even though I'm not a big fan, but it is probably seen in a similar light as Hall vs Seguin, for that matter he might be in the conversation in 2010 vs Hall as well but ultimately fall behind.
If we’re using hindsight then I think draisaitl still goes ahead of him by a wide margin.
Which I THINK is what xspyrit was saying. One version using hindsight. So stutzle would obviously go instead of 1st overall busts lol. But if we’re using hindsight we need to look at the whole draft. Pasternak too would go ahead of stutzle.

if no hindsight were used and he just plopped in the draft classes. I don’t know if he’s taken instead of ekblad. He COULD be in the convo for first tho. He probably is actually.

He’s definitely in the convo with Murray yak and galchenyuk he probably goes first because he’s against men.

hischier Patrick , stutzle he goes first I believe.

Rnh. I don’t know. There was serious serious hype around rnh. Same with landeskog. Stutzle in the convo tho for sure.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see a big difference between Stuetzle & Lafreniere except Lafreniere has the advantage of being drafted by a better team & should get an offensive advantage because of it. I think both could end up fairly close production wise at some future point & could turn into carbon copies of each other. That is if both reach their potential in the NHL which remains to be seen.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we’re using hindsight then I think draisaitl still goes ahead of him by a wide margin.
Which I THINK is what xspyrit was saying. One version using hindsight. So stutzle would obviously go instead of 1st overall busts lol. But if we’re using hindsight we need to look at the whole draft. Pasternak too would go ahead of stutzle.

if no hindsight were used and he just plopped in the draft classes. I don’t know if he’s taken instead of ekblad. He COULD be in the convo for first tho. He probably is actually.

He’s definitely in the convo with Murray yak and galchenyuk he probably goes first because he’s against men.

hischier Patrick , stutzle he goes first I believe.

Rnh. I don’t know. There was serious serious hype around rnh. Same with landeskog. Stutzle in the convo tho for sure.
Oh sry missed the hindsight bit, but kind of hard to use hindsight for Stuetzle.

Edit; also i don't think there was as much hype for RNH as you are remembering... Maybe you were just hyper aware of what hype there was because the sens had a legit shot at 1st OA?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Obviously, my comment was vague and I didn't mention any timeline so it means it could be any year.

The NHL is in NA, players from the CHL are always hyper more than european players. But even then, there's not a McDavid, Matthews, Crosby in every draft

I didn't make the exhaustive list of drafts where Stuetzle as a prospect could have been considered for 1st OA but recently 2006, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017, 2019 could be examples, depending on people's opinion. Even this year before Lafreniere ran with it, I read people suggesting that Byfield and Stuetzle could also be considered. Not saying they are right or wrong. I had Lafreniere 1st OA pretty much all year but it's a matter of opinion since it's not an exact science.

Using hindsight, then he goes 1st OA over Fleury, Phillips, Daigle, Yakupov, Stefan, etc but it's a harder comparison because we don't know how good Stuetzle is going to be. If you go back sine the beginining, then there's plenty more 1st OA that didn't work out great.

All that being said, it's a pretty difficult exercise because it's hard to remember exactly how good every 1st OA was considered as a prospect.

If we’re using hindsight then I think draisaitl still goes ahead of him by a wide margin. Which I THINK is what xspyrit was saying..

Nope.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Obviously, my comment was vague and I didn't mention any timeline so it means it could be any year.

The NHL is in NA, players from the CHL are always hyper more than european players. But even then, there's not a McDavid, Matthews, Crosby in every draft

I didn't make the exhaustive list of drafts where Stuetzle as a prospect could have been considered for 1st OA but recently 2006, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017, 2019 could be examples, depending on people's opinion. Even this year before Lafreniere ran with it, I read people suggesting that Byfield and Stuetzle could also be considered. Not saying they are right or wrong. I had Lafreniere 1st OA pretty much all year but it's a matter of opinion since it's not an exact science.

Using hindsight, then he goes 1st OA over Fleury, Phillips, Daigle, Yakupov, Stefan, etc but it's a harder comparison because we don't know how good Stuetzle is going to be. If you go back sine the beginining, then there's plenty more 1st OA that didn't work out great.

All that being said, it's a pretty difficult exercise because it's hard to remember exactly how good every 1st OA was considered as a prospect.
Over daigle with hindsight sure but would he go over pronger? 2003 is loaded with nhl stars. In hindsight some of them go first. It is a difficult excercise especially with hindsight added in because then you have to take everyone in the draft and then rank them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad