Prospect Info: Tim Stützle | 3rd OVR 2020 | C-LW Adler Mannheim DEL

• Center

• Wing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Stutlze is in many ways a safer bet than Byfield. High motor, great passer with tremendous speed. I can't remember the stat, but his zone breaks up in the neutral zone were highest among all draft eligibles, and he played in a men's league. The upside is if he turns into a franchise center, but even as a playmaking winger, we're likely looking at a 20-40 guy for many years worst case, with good intangibles. Still, we'll need to be patient, because he doesn't play a simple game and will be trying things that won't work and will frustrate people because they won't always work. Not drop pass at the blueline ala Spezza kind of thing, but hanging onto the puck too long hoping to make an even better play. There will be some ups and downs as he figures that out, but in the mean time, he'll also be a helluva lot of fun to watch during that transition too.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Byfield is the type that strikes me as the type to get his feet moving around December (in a normal year). He's a big kid that will likely always start the season a bit slow, then roar through the last six months.

He'll be ok.

.....although I do think Laf will turn out to be the only star of the draft. Not feeling the "all time best draft" shine folks were going on about most of last year. Will be a lot of NHLers, just not really high end ones.

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stutlze is in many ways a safer bet than Byfield. High motor, great passer with tremendous speed. I can't remember the stat, but his zone breaks up in the neutral zone were highest among all draft eligibles, and he played in a men's league. The upside is if he turns into a franchise center, but even as a playmaking winger, we're likely looking at a 20-40 guy for many years worst case, with good intangibles. Still, we'll need to be patient, because he doesn't play a simple game and will be trying things that won't work and will frustrate people because they won't always work. Not drop pass at the blueline ala Spezza kind of thing, but hanging onto the puck too long hoping to make an even better play. There will be some ups and downs as he figures that out, but in the mean time, he'll also be a helluva lot of fun to watch during that transition too.
Bingo! Stuetzle doesn't have any work ethic or compete issues. Byfield does, very happy the team ended up with the player they did. I was a little worried that Byfields development in an unstable situation without alot of veteran leadership could be a major issue. That won't be a problem for Stuetzle he wants to be the best and has no work ethic issues whatsoever. Very exciting player to have with not only his raw and elite talent but the type of person he is and what that projects to be in a few years. He demands the puck, thats the type of forward the sens were missing most.

Reactions: Icelevel

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Byfield is the type that strikes me as the type to get his feet moving around December (in a normal year). He's a big kid that will likely always start the season a bit slow, then roar through the last six months.

He'll be ok.

.....although I do think Laf will turn out to be the only star of the draft. Not feeling the "all time best draft" shine folks were going on about most of last year. Will be a lot of NHLers, just not really high end ones.

Really? I feel like the top-15 is really stacked this year. Hopefully the first real busts are #15 and #16 :sarcasm:

In the 1st round, I think there'll be a few stars, a few high end players, a few good players, a few average players. Not a lot of under average players. That's if injures don't derail anything

I mean, it's like that every year actually but easily above the average draft.

Very good year to have 3 1st round picks IMO. Hopefully we didn't miss on any

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Really? I feel like the top-15 is really stacked this year. Hopefully the first real busts are #15 and #16 :sarcasm:

In the 1st round, I think there'll be a few stars, a few high end players, a few good players, a few average players. Not a lot of under average players. That's if injures don't derail anything

I mean, it's like that every year actually but easily above the average draft.

Very good year to have 3 1st round picks IMO. Hopefully we didn't miss on any

You and nearly everyone else. It also depends on what Nac Mac Feegle considers to be a "star". If he's talking McDavid/Matthews/Kane "stars", then I might agree with him. If he's talking about players that are in the top 10% in their position, I couldn't disagree more.

Reactions: Xspyrit

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013

Very well said! He’s going to be exciting to watch.

When I was watching the doc of his draft night, some of the players said he skated like a young god.

Now that’s high praise.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
upload_2020-11-26_11-29-7.jpeg

“I want to win cups in Ottawa”

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You and nearly everyone else. It also depends on what Nac Mac Feegle considers to be a "star". If he's talking McDavid/Matthews/Kane "stars", then I might agree with him. If he's talking about players that are in the top 10% in their position, I couldn't disagree more.

There's no concensus on the definition of hockey terms but you can't just have star, good and bad. There's many tiers of players.

McDavid is generational. Matthews and Kane are at least very close. Karlsson would have been generational if it wasn't for injuries.

There's a few generational guys like Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid and then you have the best at each position, the elite. How many Elite Right Wingers there is? It's anyone's guess but there's not just one and there's not 100. Like you said, 10% is the most sensical.

After that, I would say star or high end players wich represents a bigger portion but still not anything close to a majority

Then maybe good players? After, average players? Average serviceable players? And then I don't know "marginal/fringe players"?

Obviously, I don't think the term "bad player" really exist because if you can play at the NHL level, you're pretty damn good at hockey. But I know I see things differently.

Last edited:

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
There's no concensus on the definition of hockey terms but you can't just have star, good and bad. There's many tiers of players.

McDavid is generational. Matthews and Kane are at least very close. Karlsson would have been generational if it wasn't for injuries.

There's a few generational guys like Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid and then you have the best at each position, the elite. How Elite Right Wingers there is? It's anyone's guess but there's not just one and there's not 100. Like you said, 10% is the most sensical.

After that, I would say star or high end players wich represents a bigger portion but still not anything close to a majority

Then maybe good players? After, average players? Average serviceable players? And then I don't know "marginal/fringe players"?

Obviously, I don't think the term "bad player" really exist because if you can play at the NHL level, you're pretty damn good at hockey. But I know I see things differently.

For sure, it's semantics. I see the term "elite" tossed around in a fashion that I consider to be very lightly. For me, there are less than ten "elite" hockey players in the world.

Back to the original topic, I would say that Laf likely has the potential to be "elite" and that both Timmy and Byfield are likely to be what I consider to be "stars" or players in the top 10% at their position. I also believe that a handful of other draftees will fall into that "star" category.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
For sure, it's semantics. I see the term "elite" tossed around in a fashion that I consider to be very lightly. For me, there are less than ten "elite" hockey players in the world.

Back to the original topic, I would say that Laf likely has the potential to be "elite" and that both Timmy and Byfield are likely to be what I consider to be "stars" or players in the top 10% at their position. I also believe that a handful of other draftees will fall into that "star" category.

I see. I'd have elite at maybe the 10 best players at a position... 10 best goalies, 10 best LD, 10 best RD, 10 best C, 10 best RW and 10 best LW.

In this draft, I think several players could be elite, with Lafreniere being the best of the bunch. But also several stars and high end players. I'd bet the top-30 redraft in 7-8 years will look pretty damn good

Last edited:
Reactions: HzH

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I would say the first dozen or so in the top round could max out at the Monahan or Rielly levels. Good players, but not stars. Laf has another gear to go beyond that.

It's a good draft, in that we'll see a lot of them become full time NHLers, and a few will become core pieces to their teams. But I wouldn't bet beyond that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I see. I'd have elite at maybe the 10 best players at a position... 10 best goalies, 10 best LD, 10 best RD, 10 best C, 10 best RW and 10 best LW.

In this draft, I think several players could be elite, with Lafreniere being the best of the bunch. But also several stars and high end players. I'd bet the top-30 redraft in 7-8 years will look pretty damn good
I think your definition of Elite is far too general. The top 10 of each position is too many ; the top 2-3 at most for each position. For example Barkov and Bergeron are considered top 10 centres but they are closer to guys below them than to McDavid.
As for this year's draft there is not an obvious elite talent that sticks out. Some could be like Laf but not a sure thing like McDavid was.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

That's an elite definition right there.

Reactions: Frank8

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think your definition of Elite is far too general. The top 10 of each position is too many ; the top 2-3 at most for each position. For example Barkov and Bergeron are considered top 10 centres but they are closer to guys below them than to McDavid.
As for this year's draft there is not an obvious elite talent that sticks out. Some could be like Laf but not a sure thing like McDavid was.
well no one is mcdavid and no one is Crosby. you can be elite and not be close to those two. i dont think anyone is close to those two. except malkin. who is elite.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

In the end, it's just semantics so it's not something I attach a lot of importance on (and frankly never really spent time on thinking about it). It might be needed to communicate how we see it depending on the discussion though.

If you tell me for you it's only "the top 2-3 at most for each position", then I need to let you know that I can't see it like that. A main reason why is I think there's several guys that are very close in terms of impact and ability that it wouldn't be "fair" to leave them out of that "elite list"

Let's look at centers for example (I'm just listing them in PPG since 2017-18 and according to NHL.com for positions, not going deeper on the subject. Also omitting a few after Pettersson)

Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Leon Draisaitl
Evgeni Malkin
Sidney Crosby
Steven Stamkos
Auston Matthews
Jack Eichel
Patrice Bergeron
Aleksander Barkov
Claude Giroux
John Tavares
Mark Scheifele
Brayden Point
Elias Pettersson
Sebastian Aho
Mika Zibanejad
Anze Kopitar
Nicklas Backstrom
Tyler Seguin
Matthew Barzal
Jonathan Toews
Ryan O'Reilly
Ryan Getzlaf
Joe Thornton

Ok a few in there have declined but have certainly been elite most of their career (ex : Thornton)

I consider McDavid and Crosby as generational and you'd probably agree with that. So who would you consider Elite in there? And who wouldn't be? 2-3 is really not enough IMO.

That's an elite definition right there.

Elite quote :sarcasm:

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Never thought we'd sign Sokolov before Timmy.

What do you folks think the odds are that he plays in Germany for the whole season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad