Player Discussion Tim Schaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think you mean Dorsett.
Dorsett was a 3rd liner that was pigeonholed into a 4th line face puncher role.

Cracknell started as an effective 4th liner and remained an effective one (more or less) until his departure.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Dorsett was a 3rd liner that was pigeonholed into a 4th line face puncher role.

Cracknell started as an effective 4th liner and remained an effective one (more or less) until his departure.
Wasn't the line Dorsett-Prust-Cracknel?

One of our best lines till Prust wrecked his ankle after like 13 gms?

Edit.. and Cracknell earned his demotion by the time he was waived... great surprising start earning a spot when we thought he was pegged for Utica... but downward after Prust went down.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Those were things that people praised Gaunce for as well. While costing less against the cap.

I don't think Gaunce was praised for his "high quality grinding." Then again, I'm not sure if I have seen or heard this term til now.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think Gaunce was praised for his "high quality grinding." Then again, I'm not sure if I have seen or heard this term til now.
Yeah.. High Quality Grinding is a new one...

Albeit, an affective description on Schaller currently. After you consider his competition....

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
6a00d83451574c69e201b7c8adfb84970b-pi

Me^
So far

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The year is 2030
And ppl are still arguing that Gaunce is an nhl player

It's 11 years too early to be saying that you know!

No.. they had to refer to spreadsheets to make that case.
Schaller has actually managed to standout with his effort level and speed.

Curious, are you opposed to using stats in any way to inform your opinion of a player?

I mean, I don't think anyone ever called it quite like that either but he was pretty much noted for his grinding style of play. It was just that he had fairly good possession numbers for a 4th liner to accompany it too. Though he certainly wasn't flashy or exciting.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yep me too LB. This is what i can appreciate and respect.

I thought this guy had no business on a NHL roster last year and was pretty vocal about it. He's playing as a very good 4th line role player and his skating is no longer a hindrance. He's bringin it almost every shift and clearly had some underlying issues last year due to injury.

Good for Tim Schaller the Canucks and the pro scouting staff as i had written him off as another failure.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Schaller has a weirdly deceptive release on his wrister. Sort of shoots it off stride and a bit unbalanced. I think that's contributed to his ability to score coming down the wing. While it's unlikely to last, really happy for his success. It's well earned.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean, I don't think anyone ever called it quite like that either but he was pretty much noted for his grinding style of play. It was just that he had fairly good possession numbers for a 4th liner to accompany it too. Though he certainly wasn't flashy or exciting.

I think it was the opposite. Gaunce's weakness was his skating/foot speed that prevented him from getting in the forecheck the way Green wanted him to play. He was moved form C to the wing specifically to address his tendency to play a passive gave. When the Canucks signed Schaller I think my opinion was that we signed a player that Green wanted Gaunce to be. Gaunce was good defensively but he definitely wasn't praised for his ability to play that grinding role.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jesus if Gaunce played 11 games like Schaller has just done he would have never been replaced by a guy they targetted to be competent in his role.

Gaunce lacked the reaction time pace and first step. Its a fine line in a game predicated on time and space. You either get there or you dont. Schaller of last year was too slow just like Gaunce but his off season of training and health have obviously made a difference.

Reactions: Jimbo57

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You guys still eating crow on Schaller? Does he still look like a completely different player than last year?

Oh yeah, ol Gauncer got the primary assist on Chara's game winner last night. 4 points in his last 4 NHL games.

It's almost like good teams cycle out their bottom of the roster players once they get too expensive, Gaunce is going to do for the Bruins what Schaller did a few years back....give them decent 4th line play for near league minimum, once players like Gaunce or Schaller are no longer league minimum players, they become bad assets.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You guys still eating crow on Schaller? Does he still look like a completely different player than last year?

Oh yeah, ol Gauncer got the primary assist on Chara's game winner last night. 4 points in his last 4 NHL games.

It's almost like good teams cycle out their bottom of the roster players once they get too expensive, Gaunce is going to do for the Bruins what Schaller did a few years back....give them decent 4th line play for near league minimum, once players like Gaunce or Schaller are no longer league minimum players, they become bad assets.

Has Gaunce reached the Taylor "Point Per Game" Fedun territory?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This has been studied exhaustively and it's completely false. The only cohort of players that experiences a bump in production in contract years are in the top %25 of production, and they carry this production forward into the following season. Contract status has no discernable effect on the production of bottom 6 players. You're also selectively disregarding a reasonable explanation -- he was recovering from a fairly major surgery last season.
It's incredible. You're always referring to exhaustive studies and then tell people they're completely false, but never actually link or reference these specific studies and for the amount you blatantly tell lies, nobody ever trusts what you write. A hand surgery isn't often referred to is as fairly major either.....always exaggerating.

You're the boy who cried wolf.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Schaller is another bottom of the lineup forward earning too much money.....Canucks have a lot of them. But mercifully he's a UFA on July 1st and there isn't a chance in the world they bring him back.

Graovac, MacEwen, Bailey or one or two others in Utica could do just a good a job at somewhere near the league minimum...which is all you want to pay for a guy with Schaller's skill-set.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Schaller plays like 10 good games in his second year after sucking shit all last year and gets praised. He sucks.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It's incredible. You're always referring to exhaustive studies and then tell people they're completely false, but never actually link or reference these specific studies and for the amount you blatantly tell lies, nobody ever trusts what you write. A hand surgery isn't often referred to is as fairly major either.....always exaggerating.

You're the boy who cried wolf.
You didn't actually make any effort to look for the study before posting this, did you?

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you strip it bare, and look at the production from the Canucks bottom six forwards, including Schaller.....never has an NHL team paid so much, for so little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad