Player Discussion Tim Schaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
:-|

He has played 28 games as a Canuck. I am talking about players who have played at LEAST 28 games. So greater than or equal to 28 games.

There are only 366 players who have played 28 games for this franchise. Of them, he is one of only eleven players (3 forwards) to have 0 goals. So yeah, I think it's probable that he's in the bottom-100 of the 366 players who have played 28+ games as a Canuck.

I did not expect to actually have to go look this up...

:) All good. And thanks for looking it up. I agree with you- he would likely be on the worst 100 in that category. See we agree...It follows that he is in the bottom of players who have played more than 150 games too.... but that wasn't the statement made above either- it wasn't the point.

The statement made above was that he was the worst Canuck of all time. And then I responded saying Nope... not even in the top 100 (and i clearly meant bottom 100).

Look that up if you don't mind and include all of those all times greats who played 1 game- 28 games and add all of those 366 who played more, and I am very confident he is neither the worst player in history of the franchise nor would he be in the bottom 100.

I am guessing his signing was an attempt to bring some "good people" veteran types with the loss of the Sedans in the room (allowing the team to get through the predictable failure this season was going to be with a sense of team culture intact). It was likely an attempt to inject a bit of steel in the bottom 6, also hoping hoping with an opportunity he might be something more than he has been. It was a questionable decision at the time and looks to have been a failure on the performance front.

He is not a good player, and I would still rather have him on our fourth line with his contract than watch Gagner, Granlund, Leipsic, or Erkisson play for this team on theirs, for example.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
:) All good. And thanks for looking it up. I agree with you- he would likely be on the worst 100 in that category. See we agree...It follows that he is in the bottom of players who have played more than 150 games too.... but that wasn't the statement made above either- it wasn't the point.

The statement made above was that he was the worst Canuck of all time. And then I responded saying Nope... not even in the top 100 (and i clearly meant bottom 100).

Look that up if you don't mind and include all of those all times greats who played 1 game- 28 games and add all of those 366 who played more, and I am very confident he is neither the worst player in history of the franchise nor would he be in the bottom 100.

I am guessing his signing was an attempt to bring some "good people" veteran types with the loss of the Sedans in the room (allowing the team to get through the predictable failure this season was going to be with a sense of team culture intact). It was likely an attempt to inject a bit of steel in the bottom 6, also hoping hoping with an opportunity he might be something more than he has been. It was a questionable decision at the time and looks to have been a failure on the performance front.

He is not a good player, and I would still rather have him on our fourth line with his contract than watch Gagner, Granlund, Leipsic, or Erkisson play for this team on theirs, for example.

I mean, I think it's reasonable to infer the meaning as "worst player to play regular for the Canucks" and not interpret it as "worst player to play even a single game for the franchise."

If Schaller actually plays out his contract and ends up at 100+ GP, there are only about 202 guys who have done that.

This has been a fascinating waste of time though. Point is he sucks. Another terrible pro scouting fail for this regime.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I mean, I think it's reasonable to infer the meaning as "worst player to play regular for the Canucks" and not interpret it as "worst player to play even a single game for the franchise."

If Schaller actually plays out his contract and ends up at 100+ GP, there are only about 202 guys who have done that.

This has been a fascinating waste of time though. Point is he sucks. Another terrible pro scouting fail for this regime.

Well, we agree 1) It is a fascinating waste of time 2) He sucks 3) Probably a pro scouting fail

But for someone who appears to be so precise with data, inferring and interpreting as you did was a miscalculation. He made a statement that was hyperbolic and flat out wrong. Mine, we could debate, but it would mean wasting more time.

However, I enjoyed the exchange lol

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Why would you sign Tim Schaller for almost 2 million and have him in the way of someone like Zach MacEwen who should be getting a look later this season?

Reactions: pomorick

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Why would you sign Tim Schaller for almost 2 million and have him in the way of someone like Zach MacEwen who should be getting a look later this season?
Veteran leadership!

Why would you have someone like Tim Schaller stick around on this roster and you waive Gaunce who has 60% of Schaller's points in 10% of his GP (without any time with Horvat unlike Schaller) when Gaunce makes 39.5% of Schaller's salary and is excellent defensively?

Because Benning/Green.

Why doesn't Gaunce get picked up? Because NHL management as well as roster space.

I am pretty surprised though that a shrewd GM wouldn't pick up Gaunce at least as a #13 forward, or even move their #12 guy to make space. A one-dimensional shutdown 4th line at a very cheap price point would be extremely valuable to me if I was building a competitive team freeing up space for the top of the roster. Maybe I'm just a clueless armchair GM though...

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Bumping this - almost a year since we've last discussed this player in his own thread. What are your thoughts on Schaller this year? Potentially the most improved Canuck imo.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Bumping this - almost a year since we've last discussed this player in his own thread. What are your thoughts on Schaller this year? Potentially the most improved Canuck imo.

Looks way better to start the season. Good for him for putting in the work this off season

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Looks like the player in Boston. Quality 4th line winger that knows his role and goes about filling that role quietly and efficiently. Good chance he gets another contract in Vancouver, though it would have to be at a discount. $1.9mil is simply too much to pay your 11-12th forward.

Schaller was coming off surgery last summer and it showed once he hit the ice in Vancouver. What a difference a healthy offseason can make...

The next player thread to be bumped will be Jay Beagle. Solid start for him as well, which also coincides with being healthy, unlike last season.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
When's the last time we did a worst Canuck of all time list? With, say, 40 games played?

Stojanov might top my list. I don't think Schaller hits my top ten.
If we deal Schaller for a guy with just under 400 goals in the NHL (most with the Canucks), then I think Schaller is ahead of Stojanov on my list. The later have an eff'd up shoulder injury after a pretty bad car accident (that more than anything had a pretty major negative impact on his career). What's Schaller's excuse? Paper cut from counting his money?

Looks way better to start the season. Good for him for putting in the work this off season
Contract year. Extra motivation.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Looks like the player in Boston. Quality 4th line winger that knows his role and goes about filling that role quietly and efficiently. Good chance he gets another contract in Vancouver, though it would have to be at a discount. $1.9mil is simply too much to pay your 11-12th forward.

Schaller was coming off surgery last summer and it showed once he hit the ice in Vancouver. What a difference a healthy offseason can make...

The next player thread to be bumped will be Jay Beagle. Solid start for him as well, which also coincides with being healthy, unlike last season.

If he plays this way the entire year I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him, but yeah - he makes far too much.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's getting praised for doing a crappier job of what Brendan Gaunce did here at more than double the price.

Yes, it's better than last year where he was a completely unplayable hack.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If he plays this way the entire year I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him, but yeah - he makes far too much.

Sure for the NHL minimum wage.

Agreed. He'll be turning 30 years old. If he continues to play well this year, I'll give him a 1 year contract at less than $1M AAV. Personally, I would like the Canucks to give the spot to McEwen and have him sink or swim.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
He's getting praised for doing a crappier job of what Brendan Gaunce did here at more than double the price.

Yes, it's better than last year where he was a completely unplayable hack.

Brendan Gaunce is a poor man's Tim Schaller. Don't remind me we pissed away a 1st rd pick on that slug.

Well yeah, it would have been nice if the surgery didn't impact Schaller as much as it did. Now that we know the player he actually is, it makes sense why the pro scouts thought he would be a nice fit. We are seeing why Bruins fans liked Schaller's game. He can contribute.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Having a good start. If he and Beagle can get back up to 10+ goals each, and Sutter returns to his typical when healthy 15+ it really changes the dynamic of our bottom 6.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Is he actually playing any better/different than last year?

I guess you maybe notice him a bit more.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Have you watched him play this year? You should have an answer if you actually watch the games.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He’s whatever. At best he doesn’t move the needle. At worst he is a liability like last year. Strange that we decided to pay a premium for a 12/13th forward but whatever I guess

Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Brendan Gaunce is a poor man's Tim Schaller. Don't remind me we pissed away a 1st rd pick on that slug.

Well yeah, it would have been nice if the surgery didn't impact Schaller as much as it did. Now that we know the player he actually is, it makes sense why the pro scouts thought he would be a nice fit. We are seeing why Bruins fans liked Schaller's game. He can contribute.

Yeah, you've got it backward. Schaller is a poor man's Gaunce who is worse at both ends of the rink and doesn't have the positional flexibility that Gaunce does. Gaunce's level of defensive IQ and anticipation/positioning is on a completely different level from Schaller.

But whatever. Even if Schaller was very marginally better than Gaunce, paying him nearly triple the cap hit to do the same thing was idiotic and means the pro scouting here was garbage.

He's skating very marginally better, he hasn't been quite as weak on the puck in his own zone, and had one good game against Detroit which really started a 'Schaller redemption' narrative. For the most part, he's been the same player we saw last year and his production is actually down from last year so far.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
You know a player is irrelevant when there's been less than 200 posts on the original signing thread.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, you've got it backward. Schaller is a poor man's Gaunce who is worse at both ends of the rink and doesn't have the positional flexibility that Gaunce does. Gaunce's level of defensive IQ and anticipation/positioning is on a completely different level from Schaller.

But whatever. Even if Schaller was very marginally better than Gaunce, paying him nearly triple the cap hit to do the same thing was idiotic and means the pro scouting here was garbage.

Yeah, I guess I can't even argue against your assertion that Gaunce is a 3rd line centre , because he's not even given the opportunity to fill that role, or any role for that matter. You weren't wrong about Gaunce, it's just that every GM in the sport is a complete moron. Wouldn't say he's on a completely different level to Schaller, but he sure as hell plays at a completely different level - the AHL.

And no, the pro scouting was not garbage. The pro scouts don't negotiate contracts, they recommend players that can be of use to the club. Schaller was not a pro scouting failure, it was an over payment by a GM that has a habit of poor contract negotiations. If Antoine Roussel was given 5 x $5mil that's not 'garbage' pro scouting, that's garbage contract work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad