NHL Tim Peel fired

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The NHL effectively firing Peel is the equivalent of cauterizing a wound - quick, rough treatment to seal off a damaged area and prevent further infection. Having done that, I doubt we'll hear anything further from the league. The incident's wider implications are not a matter they're going to want to be discussing, at least not now, as it could get real messy real fast. As a PR move and a way to consider the matter 'addressed' and closed, this was the smart way to proceed. As fans we can hope that something might prompt a deeper review at some point, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Bullseye.

Unless some young snooping journalist who wants to make a name for himself starts digging into this, the chance of this going any further are remote.

I’m sure the NHL has already ordered Peel to keep his yap shut, or else he might have issues with his retirement package.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts here yet, but has anyone pointed out
that it was Tim Peel's partner of last night, Kelly Sutherland, that was the ref that
"missed" the call on Bozak tripping Noel Acciari in game five of the
2019 Stanley Cup Finals? Any comments on the correlation of Mr Sutherland
in last night's game and game five of the finals in 2019???

You can add suspendable elbows with wrong calls etc in previous games of that series as well. It was rigged.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't even think there's a smoking gun, so to speak. I think that anyone who has a brain and watches hockey understands that the referees have been directed to "keep control" of the games they officiate and not allow anything over the top to happen (multiple fights, retaliatory hits/fights, etc.).

I don't think they are told how to do this per se. I think they're all left to decide how best to do this on their own. Most overreact by giving out a 2, 5, 10 or assessing "matching" penalties when it's undeserved. I'm guessing that the skilled guys are more savvy and have other ways of preventing things from getting out of hand.

I remember reading an interview with Kerry Fraser, I believe, and he pointed out leaning on guys like Shawn Thornton at times to make sure things didn't boil over.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Refs on twitter are lining up to defend Peel and label those calling him out as ignorant and incapable of refereeing. See, e.g.:

Think you're misreading the guy
HockeyBuzz.com - Paul Stewart - Peel, Mental Clorox, and Officiating Integrity
I have no idea what Peel was thinking. That's a question only Tim can answer. I have a theory but it's only that. I'm not in his head and I'm not a psychologist.

My theory is this: Peel made a bad call and knew it right away. Then he tried to save face with his partner, Kelly Sutherland, by basically saying, "I meant to do that," ala Pee Wee Herman tumbling off his bicycle and claiming it was his intent all along.

Frankly, that's not a good look, either. The only other alternative is that Peel really DID mean what he said. Either way, he put the NHL in a position where he had to terminated immediately even though he was slated to retire after this season, anyway.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Tim Peel was fired because his words draw unwanted attention and scrutiny to the NHL officiating department.

I will never be convinced that so-called “game management” didn’t play a huge role in costing the Bruins the Stanley Cup in 2019. I hate criticizing referees. It’s often a sore loser’s excuse for why they or their favorite team lost, but I see officials having more and more influence on who wins and who loses.

It’s the reason I can’t watch the NBA anymore. The Celtics’ 2010 Game 7 loss against the Lakers was shamelessly influenced by the referee. That, plus the Tim Donaghy scandal have made it impossible for me to believe that the NBA doesn’t attempt to influence who wins and loses.

Maybe I’m naive, or just have my head in the sand when it comes to the NHL; NFL; and MLB, but I refuse to give up on them yet.

If there are issues with NHL officiating, I hope Tim Peel spills and shines a light in that corner of the NHL.
the NBA isn't rigged.... if the NBA IS, so is the following leagues: NHL/AHL/ECHL/NCAA/ALL Canadian Junior leagues, SO that means all players/coaches/officials/ executives are just as rigged as are all professional/junior franchises that exist.....

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
The one you posted and a couple others are taken right from that article I linked.

Paul Stewart {who I totally respect} said something interesting.

“You have plays that aren’t a two-minute penalty, but might be a one-minute penalty. They’re on the edge. That’s when you communicate with a player,” Stewart said.

1 minute penalties. Hmmm. Shooting the puck over the glass would fall into that category.

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Heres what makes hockey so frustrating to watch. A game last night.

Ristolainen gets a crosschecking penalty out of frustration as he was clearly interfered with when he did not have the puck. No call was made.

In the 2nd period Risto hits a Penguin before he gets the puck and he gets nailed for interference.
Oy! Maybe this was a make-up call? ;)

Reactions: Gordoff

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Heres what makes hockey so frustrating to watch. A game last night.

Ristolainen gets a crosschecking penalty out of frustration as he was clearly interfered with when he did not have the puck. No call was made.

In the 2nd period Risto hits a Penguin before he gets the puck and he gets nailed for interference.
Oy! Maybe this was a make-up call? ;)

You can analyze every NHL game and easily find a LOT of borderline penalty calls that don't get made.

Why? Because as much as people bitch about inconsistent refereeing, they also don't want to watch a game where there are 10-15 power plays per night.

The refereeing is the way it is, because the League, team GMs and owners want it that way.

Tim Peel is an awful referee. Always has been. However he got fired because he got caught admitting something that most refs do and it embarrassed the league. Nothing more.

Its time to tone down the moral outrage a little bit.....

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You can analyze every NHL game and easily find a LOT of borderline penalty calls that don't get made.

Why? Because as much as people bitch about inconsistent refereeing, they also don't want to watch a game where there are 10-15 power plays per night.

The refereeing is the way it is, because the League, team GMs and owners want it that way.

Tim Peel is an awful referee. Always has been. However he got fired because he got caught admitting something that most refs do and it embarrassed the league. Nothing more.

Its time to tone down the moral outrage a little bit.....

I had a boss once who had it in for me. HR warned me to keep my nose clean and I'll be safe. My reply "If they want to, a hockey ref can find a penalty to call in any shift in a game. It's the same thing in this place."

But yeah, Peel was terrible at his job, but he didn't get fired for what he did, he got fired for what he said.

Last edited:

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
But yeah, Peel was terrible at his job, but he didn't get fired for what he did, he got fired for what he said.

Yup.
Thus that removed all doubt.
It has not been descibed as to why Peel made that phantom call. It could have been due to a missed call like everyone is implying or it could have been something from some other game. One does not know.

However that being said, he was suspended before and there had to be more to this than just what happened the other night. It could have been a "2 strikes and you're out" item

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Coming from someone who doesn't know when to shut up I feel for him.
Coming from a hockey/Bruins fan I'm glad to see him gone, NOW!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bullseye.

Unless some young snooping journalist who wants to make a name for himself starts digging into this, the chance of this going any further are remote.

I’m sure the NHL has already ordered Peel to keep his yap shut, or else he might have issues with his retirement package.

What would you expect the snoopy journalist to find out?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
  1. He was a bad ref
  2. The league really had no choice but to fire him. To not fire him would be to admit their officiating is biased and that refs dictate the flow of the game too much. PR nightmare.
  3. He was a bad ref
  4. I think there's a difference between "make-up calls" and "managing the game." If you call a penalty on Team A, then realize it was unwarranted (seeing a replay, etc.), if a player on Team B does something that's borderline penalty, is it fair to call it as a make-up call? Yeah, maybe, especially if it happens soon on Team A's PP. But if you decide you'd better call a penalty on a team in the third period just because they hadn't had one yet and the other team has had 4, and you want to appear fair, that's managing the game. Let the players' actions decide who gets penalties and how often.
  5. I hope this leads to a real discussion of how refs call the game.
  6. He was a bad ref

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts here yet, but has anyone pointed out
that it was Tim Peel's partner of last night, Kelly Sutherland, that was the ref that
"missed" the call on Bozak tripping Noel Acciari in game five of the
2019 Stanley Cup Finals? Any comments on the correlation of Mr Sutherland
in last night's game and game five of the finals in 2019???

There is absolutely zero question the NHL forced that to seven games. The 7th game was the goal and the NHL did not care which team won at that point. The game 7 loss is a failure by the Bruins, but the series was a failure by the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad