NHL Tim Peel fired

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
It wasn't Portland with their old 7' Croatian? Like I said, it's been a long time so my memory is hazy - and can more remember how disgusted I was with the reffing than the particulars as it was enough for me to just stop watching.
Oooohhh... that wasnt Petrovic it was....Sabonis. Petro only played a couple seasons with Portland and I'm pretty sure they didn't play the Lakers when he was around.

The super famous shafting was against the Chris Webber Kings in the early 2000s.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’ve been busy most of today, so the only things I’ve read/heard about this have been in this post.

I’m wondering if any other referees have said anything or.....

if they are going to do anything “in solidarity” of Peel tonight?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Oooohhh... that wasnt Petrovic it was....Sabonis. Petro only played a couple seasons with Portland and I'm pretty sure they didn't play the Lakers when he was around.

The super famous shafting was against the Chris Webber Kings in the early 2000s.

Sabonis! Thanks.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
IMO you can't really be upset the way the Blues series was called when you look back at the cup win vs. Canucks. We did the same type of shit that went uncalled and loved every minute of it.

At the risk of being called a Leafs fan I have to disagree with you

Up until game 3 of the 2019 SC Finals I thought the reffing was pretty decent, but then Berube whined to the NHL officials after game 3 and they suddenly started to look the other way and let the Blues get away with all kinds of infractions including persistent head hunting

In the 2011 SC Finals the refs let both teams play a hard fought physical game. If anything, I thought the Canucks were the dirtier team throughout that series ...just ask Bergeron and Horton
Stanley Cup Finals 2011: Is Alex Burrows Biting Incident the Central Theme?

..but maybe I'm just being a Leaf fan

Shame on me!

Last edited:

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Don’t be too excited that the NHL is getting tough. Peel was scheduled to retire and ref his last game in exactly one month. So, basically, all he loses is maybe one month’s pay (while getting one month’s vacation), and perhaps some cake and tiny trash thrown at him by other refs in the break room. And the obligatory snark from whatever PxP is covering his last game when they would have shown the graphic celebrating his last game.

The NHL statement avoids words like “fired/suspended/dismissed”, so he probably gets all his retirement stuff. And, legally, that may be very difficult to take away from him.

I doubt they'll try to not pay him. He'd file a wrongful dismissal suit. Easier to just
pay him the balance of what he's owed and quietly let him sail off onto the Zamboni
ramp.

Reactions: BMC

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Real big of the NHL to fire the guy when he is on his way out anyway. All PR crap. The guy has been trash for many years. It's obvious that games are managed by many of the refs. If the NHL actually gave a crap beyond having egg on its face from the boo boo last night, they would actually address reffing in a substantive manner.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
I haven't had a chance to read all of the posts here yet, but has anyone pointed out
that it was Tim Peel's partner of last night, Kelly Sutherland, that was the ref that
"missed" the call on Bozak tripping Noel Acciari in game five of the
2019 Stanley Cup Finals? Any comments on the correlation of Mr Sutherland
in last night's game and game five of the finals in 2019???

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Why is that?

Because IMO Bill McCreary was probably in the bottom 20% of referees I’ve seen in my life.

A small cut above the Denis Morel’s, Tim Peel’s, Chris Rooney’s, Marc Joannette’s, Ron Hoggarth’s and Mick Mcgeough’s of the world.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Because IMO Bill McCreary was probably in the bottom 20% of referees I’ve seen in my life.

A small cut above the Denis Morel’s, Tim Peel’s, Chris Rooney’s, Marc Joannette’s, Ron Hoggarth’s and Mick Mcgeough’s of the world.

Wow. I completely disagree.

Though the others you mention were all bottom dwellers. Gregg Madill may have been the worst ever.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
This place has really hit Leafs level bad.

Shame.
Yea, you're way above it, glad you dont submit yourself to regular viewing of this forum. We're unworthy of your virtual presence.

I've always like your posts, even before joining the forum and posting myself, but ease up on the sanctimonious internet persona. It's not that serious.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I’ve been busy most of today, so the only things I’ve read/heard about this have been in this post.

I’m wondering if any other referees have said anything or.....

if they are going to do anything “in solidarity” of Peel tonight?
Refs on twitter are lining up to defend Peel and label those calling him out as ignorant and incapable of refereeing. See, e.g.:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Tim Peel was fired because his words draw unwanted attention and scrutiny to the NHL officiating department.

I will never be convinced that so-called “game management” didn’t play a huge role in costing the Bruins the Stanley Cup in 2019. I hate criticizing referees. It’s often a sore loser’s excuse for why they or their favorite team lost, but I see officials having more and more influence on who wins and who loses.

It’s the reason I can’t watch the NBA anymore. The Celtics’ 2010 Game 7 loss against the Lakers was shamelessly influenced by the referee. That, plus the Tim Donaghy scandal have made it impossible for me to believe that the NBA doesn’t attempt to influence who wins and loses.

Maybe I’m naive, or just have my head in the sand when it comes to the NHL; NFL; and MLB, but I refuse to give up on them yet.

If there are issues with NHL officiating, I hope Tim Peel spills and shines a light in that corner of the NHL.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Peel’s comments cost him his final month on the job after nearly 1,500 games, and the chance to retire with dignity in a referee’s traditional final game later this season.
Yeah, but there's still a pretty big difference between getting fired and going on paid leave a month before your already planned retirement. He wasn't fired.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The NHL effectively firing Peel is the equivalent of cauterizing a wound - quick, rough treatment to seal off a damaged area and prevent further infection. Having done that, I doubt we'll hear anything further from the league. The incident's wider implications are not a matter they're going to want to be discussing, at least not now, as it could get real messy real fast. As a PR move and a way to consider the matter 'addressed' and closed, this was the smart way to proceed. As fans we can hope that something might prompt a deeper review at some point, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad