The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Report: League 'looking into' hot mic in Nashville Predators game - TSN.ca

Looks like more than Campbell is involved in investigating.

So a question. What if the league knows (hypothetically) that more than Peel does this?
What if its unofficially sanctioned (again....hypothetically)? Now...what if Peel says..
"If I get disciplined, I sing like a canary!"? Could be interesting....hypothetically.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
This isn't surprising in the least. However the fact there is now concrete evidence is huge.

As Bruins fans, we've seen far too many examples of refs (mis)managing games. Like how the league can watch Tom Wilson's hit on Carlo and suspend him 7 games, while the in-game officials didn't even see so much as a minor penalty. And who could forget the changing standards in the 2019 Final after Berube lashed out at the officials?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
this merely confirms what we've all known for years, but it is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I get that reffing a sport like hockey must be a very tough task, and that mistakes will happen. All i really want out of them is consistency, over a season would be great, but even just within each separate game would be a massive improvement. A trip 6 minutes in or with 2 minutes left should be called the same, regardless of the score or if one team has had 5 more PPs than the other.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Report: League 'looking into' hot mic in Nashville Predators game - TSN.ca

Looks like more than Campbell is involved in investigating.

So a question. What if the league knows (hypothetically) that more than Peel does this?
What if its unofficially sanctioned (again....hypothetically)? Now...what if Peel says..
"If I get disciplined, I sing like a canary!"? Could be interesting....hypothetically.

league won't throw the book at peel, hes probably been calling make up calls for years for the league, peel could maybe write a book on it

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
this merely confirms what we've all known for years, but it is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I get that reffing a sport like hockey must be a very tough task, and that mistakes will happen. All i really want out of them is consistency, over a season would be great, but even just within each separate game would be a massive improvement. A trip 6 minutes in or with 2 minutes left should be called the same, regardless of the score or if one team has had 5 more PPs than the other.

Some honesty and humility instead of the arrogant attitudes that so many of them have would be nice too! They, like the league simply don't give a crap about how POOR officiating affects the game and the optics of their antics have gone on unchecked for so long. The league needs to make an example of him and if not fire him then give him the rest of the year and playoffs off without pay. He's a POS!

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Hello Guido...you got 20k on the blue team??

...we got this

upload_2021-3-24_1-54-51.jpeg

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Already heard an excuse of what his point was...."he was just making up for a call he missed. It happens all the time".

I'm really not sure that reasoning helps.
"Ya, I was standing around with my head up my ass, missed a call, then decided to call anything so that team won't think I'm playing favorites".

Oh, ok.

Not sure why he exactly said it, but whoever was his partner that night must have been wondering why he made the call as it was so obvious a soft call. He then felt impelled to have to explain.

Reactions: BMC

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
IDK. The notion and recognition that I missed one and am trying to even things up, while potentially a slippery slope, still suggests a foundational ideal that one shouldn't favor or unduly influence a game towards one team.

Now, if he said, "Marchand is a ________. I will usually look the other way when someone cheap shots him and call him for even marginal ticky-tack stuff." Well, then there is a real story/problem.

Professional football and hockey just move too fast. Officials are human. Most do their best to be objective. But "Personalities" can trigger bias. With the increase in sports gambling, being up-front is critical to at least the perceived integrity of the sports (i. e. a game). Ultimately, in the great words of Vince McMahon, 'we don't need to be regulated, we're entertainment.'

Reactions: Moe Mantha

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The NHL has never adapted to the 2 ref system well

The refs never know who they are working with until they show up in a city.

Peel is perhaps the best-known NHL ref simply because he is hated by every fanbase.

The two-ref system hasn't worked, I've been saying that for 20 years now. I'll never understand why they want two people officiating whose roles are 100% identical. There should of been some division of labour between Ref #1 and Ref#2 so they aren't directly competing with each other to make calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad