The Star: Tim Leiweke says ripping down old photos not disrespectful

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Vehemently disagree. If you put on that uniform, you belong to all the "boring" history young people are too busy to learn today whether you like it or not. If I were a hockey player, I'd find it way more compelling to know I was wearing a historic jersey and carrying the mantle of some past greats and that when the team has success, it falls into a long tradition of it.

At the end of the day, we don't need players who shy away from the Leaf experience. We need guys who want to be the next George Armstrong or Dave Keon or whomever. If there are guys who want to play for a generic team with no past, there's lots of them out there, and the sooner they leave the better.

TL has a very poor understanding of this historic brand.

So taking down pictures removes that? I'm pretty sure most if not all players understand the history of the Leafs and don't need pictures in the ACC to tell them that.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leiweke is a blowhard. I'm not the least bit impressed with his arrogant demeanor and grandiose statements. It will take more than planning a parade route and removing photos of Leaf legends to prove to me that this guy is even remotely close to being worth the absurd contract that MLSE extended to him.

I'm already growing weary of his act FFS...

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
- Leiweke calls out Phaneuf, calls him a 'horse'
- Leiweke apologises after calling the team 'slumping' causes outcry
- 'We have two young goaltenders': are Reimer and/or Bernier on the way out?

And inevitably...

Is Tim Leiweke overrated?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Leiweke is in for a long year. He seems to seek attention. He disrespected the long history the Leafs have in a big, big way. I think that was a major error and mistake to taking any pictures down. I can only imagine what Dave Keon thought when he read Leiweke's comments. Keon has his own issues I get that, but this is a huge slap in the face to all of them Keon, Bower etc. The Toronto Maple Leafs are all about history. At this pace, he will become one of the most dis-liked MLSE employee's of all time.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lets go all out. Burn the banners, burn the numbers in the rafters. Let's send Joe Bowen to an island, throw Andy Frost in a sack and toss him in Lake Ontario. Also, let's go burn down whats left of Maple Leaf Gardens. Lots of memories there, the players may drive by that arena and get depressed. All of that is a constant reminder of the past that these players shouldnt have to think about.

Let's also get Cartman to do a recording of "Go Leafs Go". Its very edgy. Its where we need to be. TL is an expert after all.

How about actually doing something to help improve one of the horrible teams under the MLSE umbrella, leave the Leafs alone.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
I can't believe adults are actually naive enough to buy this.

If this is the tactic you believe it is, feel free to provide me with concrete examples where it has done that which you think it will. I anxiously await your response.

You simply asked for reasons why TL is doing what he is doing. I provided examples. It happens in many corporation. The company I work for just had a new management team do the same. Changing the general mindset, and not just of the "players", is a large task.

Whether it'll work is not what I'm debating. I'm helping you understand why these changes may be underway.

That any adult would buy into those two statements I bolded just screams of either never having spent time in the adult world or never having managed a whole lot of people.

What Legend said pretty much sums it up. We would have to have some of the most weak minded, weak charactered people going and I'd love to know how they made it as far as they did in a competitive world with that level of weakness.

While I appreciate the personal attack, we can discuss my professional career privately if you'd like some justification. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two about corporate management, seeing as you know what you're talking about? You must be some sort of professional consultant, or you're talking straight from below.

TL is being paid to make the decisions that he is making, while you and I are comparing sizes on a free message board. But again, keep slinging those "adult" zingers. :nod:

Who is the current president of the Toronto Maple Leafs and who was his predecessor?

Current President? Vacant, with a couple of Vices.
Predecessor? Burke.

Not sure what you're getting at.

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
Not sure if he came up with it, but in the couple of years prior to them winning the Cup, billboards in L.A. advertising the Kings had the line "our time is now" on them. I thought it was a bit stupid but then they won...:) Sounds exactly like what his goal was here, i.e., making it about the present.

I'm assuming his idea is to improve the players' mindset and improve the perception and marketability of the current team, instead of competing with "gods" from the past.

I can see why people would be upset about this, but this pales in comparison to decades of owners using the Leafs' history to squeeze fans while never committing enough money for a Cup-winning team.

Tyler Biggs*

Please explain to me how taking down photo's of past Leafs(who actually did something) is going to put 'pressure' on the current team to win...sorry...disagree with the logic.

Taking down the photos of the great maple leaf players is disrespect, and will by no way help them win a cup.

I understand his point, but his idea was stupid and disrespectful. Look to the future, but honour your past, and if you think your current team can't handle the history, they don't belong on the Team. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
TL isn't trying to diminish the history of this Franchise.

He is trying to change the culture of "Look what we have accomplished!" to "Look what we are going to do this year".

Everyone knows how great the history of this franchise is. However let's start looking forward, we are finally a playoff team, and we are headed in the right direction. We have two star players in Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf. Morgan Rielly, Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner all studs in their own right. Jon Bernier and James Reimer are two of the best young goalies in the league, and will be exciting to watch them grow and battle it out for the net. We have passion back into the lineup in Lupul, Clarkson, McClement, Bolland... guys that WANT to be here.

Let's get these guys' pictures on the walls.

Let's look forward. Not backwards.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

He is trying to change the culture of "Look what we have accomplished!" to "Look what we are going to do this year".

Everyone knows how great the history of this franchise is. However let's start looking forward, we are finally a playoff team, and we are headed in the right direction. We have two star players in Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf. Morgan Rielly, Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner all studs in their own right. Jon Bernier and James Reimer are two of the best young goalies in the league, and will be exciting to watch them grow and battle it out for the net. We have passion back into the lineup in Lupul, Clarkson, McClement, Bolland... guys that WANT to be here.

Exactly, sooner or later there will be kids who don't know what a "winner" looks like and will be sporting Penguins gear because they make it far each year. Let's make some heroes for the kids of today who (probably) could care less about a team winning 40 some odd years ago. We can relish on the leaf greats but lets create some for the new generation as well.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Exactly, sooner or later there will be kids who don't know what a "winner" looks like and will be sporting Penguins gear because they make it far each year. Let's make some heroes for the kids of today who (probably) could care less about a team winning 40 some odd years ago. We can relish on the leaf greats but lets create some for the new generation as well.

That's already begun.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Please explain to me how taking down photo's of past Leafs(who actually did something) is going to put 'pressure' on the current team to win...sorry...disagree with the logic.

Taking down the photos of the great maple leaf players is disrespect, and will by no way help them win a cup.

I understand his point, but his idea was stupid and disrespectful. Look to the future, but honour your past, and if you think your current team can't handle the history, they don't belong on the Team. Period.

'Those who ignore History are doomed to repeat it.'

...not sure that fits what you're arguing.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
So what does taking down pictures actually accomplish?

Nothing, not trying to argue either side. Was just saying taking pictures down from the ACC doesn't remove our history.

Plus, aren't they only taking the ones from the players rooms down?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

'Those who ignore History are doomed to repeat it.'

So you're saying we will win a cup soon? AWESOME!!!

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
It's like people haven't ever experienced Toronto hockey fanaticism before. The media will talk about anything Leaf related that they can.

With that said, good on Leiweke. He's setting a tone for the organization.

This. Those pregame events lasted forever and they seemed to lose everytime they went on. Just drop the puck while the energy is high..m dont play a sentimental sappy video to put everyone asleep

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Leiweke is in for a long year. He seems to seek attention. He disrespected the long history the Leafs have in a big, big way. I think that was a major error and mistake to taking any pictures down. I can only imagine what Dave Keon thought when he read Leiweke's comments. Keon has his own issues I get that, but this is a huge slap in the face to all of them Keon, Bower etc. The Toronto Maple Leafs are all about history. At this pace, he will become one of the most dis-liked MLSE employee's of all time.
Look out Sundin. Tim is heading to Sweden to fight you.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

No one is arguing against having new great players. We're questioning how anyone can honestly believe that removing pictures of old ones will in any way, shape or form contribute to this. I can't believe that any adult would buy this.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You simply asked for reasons why TL is doing what he is doing. I provided examples. It happens in many corporation. The company I work for just had a new management team do the same. Changing the general mindset, and not just of the "players", is a large task.

Whether it'll work is not what I'm debating. I'm helping you understand why these changes may be underway.

While I appreciate the personal attack, we can discuss my professional career privately if you'd like some justification. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two about corporate management, seeing as you know what you're talking about? You must be some sort of professional consultant, or you're talking straight from below.

TL is being paid to make the decisions that he is making, while you and I are comparing sizes on a free message board. But again, keep slinging those "adult" zingers. :nod:

I asked for logical, tangible, concrete examples. What you provided was far from that. It was basically hogwash. If what you were presenting had merit, I'd bet you'd be able to provide me with a bunch of examples. In fact, I asked you to. I'm still waiting. Boy am I shocked and surprised to still be waiting.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2004

One of the best seasons the Leafs have had in recent memory was 2002, which also happened to be the Leafs 75th anniversary season. There was plenty of looking to the past during that season, but I don't recall that culture being an issue for those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad