The Star: Tim Leiweke says ripping down old photos not disrespectful

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ipping_down_old_photos_not_disrespectful.html

Tim Leiweke says he meant no disrespect towards former players in talking about taking down photos of past Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre.

But the new Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment president and CEO is also not backing down on the concept of focusing on the present rather than the past.

“I’m not here to stomp on the alumni,†he said in an interview Monday. “One of the reasons anyone wants to come and be a part of this organization is the history and tradition of the Maple Leafs.

“It is 100 years that is unbelievable and, quite frankly with the exception of maybe the Canadiens, unmatched.

“And so this is not a debate nor is it meant in any way to criticize or minimize our history. It was never meant to do that. And for that I’m extremely apologetic, because I don’t want the alumni thinking there was any debate there.

“It was just a simple concept, which is at some point or another this team in its current form and fashion has to create its own legacy. And we need not to hide behind other things. That’s all.

“It was a simple notion of — and it still will be and I’m not going to back away from the notion — we want to put the pressure on these guys. I want it to be about them.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Something I've heard about players the last 4-5 years is how they dislike talking about past years and how they want to create their own identity. If anything I wouldn't doubt that it came from the players. Obviously there are a few legends that remain exceptions to the rule.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Well when you call it "ripping down" old photos it makes it sound that way. :laugh:

But I understand where he's coming from. He's trying to remove the sense that the old Leafs' were some mythical team that can't be matched by any mere mortal players in today's game. Obviously we want to be proud of their history and retain a lot of it, but he wants the players to start defining their own team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Nope. I really don't approve of how much news is surrounding him and how just like that he is the representation of the leafs.

Then complain about the media/news outlets. They're the ones who "create" the story and how he's represented in said story.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Something I've heard about players the last 4-5 years is how they dislike talking about past years and how they want to create their own identity. If anything I wouldn't doubt that it came from the players. Obviously there are a few legends that remain exceptions to the rule.

bam.

I think any player coming to toronto knows the history, but right now, that's so much what we're focused on. that's why i don't think taking the pictures down is that big of a deal, move it somewhere else or whatever. but focus on today/tomorrow.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like him and this move ... I've been saying for awhile this team needs to stop looking at past legends and starting to make their own mark, they're a young team with potential to be something special

Maybe this will also be a sign that we won't see a ton of lengthy pregame ceremonies too

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
It's like people haven't ever experienced Toronto hockey fanaticism before. The media will talk about anything Leaf related that they can.

With that said, good on Leiweke. He's setting a tone for the organization.

darty

Dec 1, 2008
I picture Leiweke as Willy Wonka just prancing around the ACC with employees and media members struggling to keep up to listen to all the changes he demands.
"I want a map, with our victory parade route, to cover this ENTIRE WALL!" "Out with these old photos!" "WE NEED TEN CARLTON THE BEARS!!" etc.

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009
DISCLAIMER:

I don't not like the guy and don't necessarily disagree with his ideas, just come on...you've been here a few weeks, who the hell are you? Just tone it down

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
DISCLAIMER:

I don't not like the guy and don't necessarily disagree with his ideas, just come on...you've been here a few weeks, who the hell are you? Just tone it down

He's the President and CEO of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment with a long history at Anchutz (a very successful company) as CEO. I think he can pretty much say anything he wants to. It's up to you to choose to read Leiweke-related articles though.

SteveV*

Oh great another egomaniac who thinks it's all about him and wants his own set of rules. Burkie II. Already sick of this guy.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
DISCLAIMER:

Big man with a bigger role. Big steps are needed. I assume you haven't been close to a large organization before. New faces means big steps.

I love the guy. Out with the old, in with the new. Make some history, please.

Edit: I read the article while Born to bee Wild by Steppanwolf played in the background. Seemed pretty fitting imagining TL running through the halls ripping plaques off the walls to this song.

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009
He's the President and CEO of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment with a long history at Anchutz (a very successful company) as CEO. I think he can pretty much say anything he wants to. It's up to you to choose to read Leiweke-related articles though.

Yeah and it's also up to me to form my own opinions on the articles I read. My opinion is that to come in and promote taking down all the old pictures, though not necessarily a bad idea, is a bit presumptuous, especially when you consider the history and tradition of this organization. Him signing a piece of paper saying he's president is not going to be enough for me. Yeah he can say whatever he wants and yeah he's president, but just because he was successful with Anchutz doesn't mean I'm going to respect him or look at him as anything more...until he justifies it.

SteveV*

You can make new memories without crapping on your past....I guess the Yankees should remove those plaques too? Guy doesn't get it, it isn't a choice.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Does anybody actually like this guy?

lets be realistic .how many people under 30 even recall the leafs being anything but mediocre at best,yet they are worth a billion bucks .
at some point the leafs will have to be like manchester united or the NEW YORK YANKEES ,OR the COWBOYS and win ever 5 -10 years or the next generation of fans wont be born a bread leafs fans .the guy is smart ,no more excuses ,blowhards and half assed efforts .......win or leave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad