The Star: Tim Leiweke says ripping down old photos not disrespectful

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
He took down some photos of old players.. big whoop. The real legends are hanging from the rafters. Good on you Tim, this team image needs a revamp.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
I don't mind it. As others have said, the legends are still in the rafters and I'm sure the pictures in the fan hallways are still there. This is more at a player level. It would be nice if fans stopped living in the past too. And by past I mean just as much our fans who gloat about our long history and other fans who say we've done nothing in 40 years.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Does he make any hockey decisions?

Isn't he just a front man for marketing, sales and promotions?

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/03/forbes_on_what_happened_b.php

Here is what I have been hearing from people very close to the situation who would only speak off the record: Anschutz got wind that Leiweke was trying to influence the choice of a buyer for AEG. Anschutz became infuriated and fired him and ended the sale. Makes sense. Why wouldn’t Leiweke want to have a say in who bought AEG given he was hoping to stay on? Trouble is Anschutz asked Leiweke to make sales presentations, not try to determine the winner.

Leiweke has a terrific reputation. But he may have been too aggressive for Anschutz. Calls I made to AEG and Leiweke over the past couple of days were not returned.

Perhaps he thinks he built the Kings?

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
i'm pretty sure dion phaneuf has plenty of pictures of him plastered all around the ACC (with kessel).

I'm sure no one has problems tearing down those pictures.

It's really not a big deal. He's tearing them down at the "players" level. i.e. the tunnels when they walk into the rink.
The leafs made the playoffs ONCE since 2003. Legends from 50 years ago doesn't change the fact that the leafs sucked for the last 10 years.

It's about damn time we rebuilt the ACC brick by brick. Put the pictures back up when we win a SC. Maybe we'll finally have a coloured picture with the SC in the hallways.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I really like this guy. Its a good progressive move. Everyone knows how great past leafs players and teams were. Its time to focus the present.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
what is the advantage gained by Tim telling the media all this stuff? why not just go about doing it internally?

SteveV*

That's fine but this is not a new thing. After experiencing mergers, acquisitions and CEO changes in large companies in my life, there IS a change of culture every time. If a person went back to square one with their previous history ignored, that would be just silly and ignorant. People are hired on credentials and he was the best man on the market for the job so he's here. The history is all well and great but what have the Leafs done of value in the last 20-47 years? Nothing. The guys wearing the blue and white NOW need to step up and that starts right at the top. Time to stop clinging to 'history'.

Where were the Yankees in 1972? Winless, worthless and down in the dumps clinging to their history. Then a hard-nosed, blunt smart ass came up named George Steinbrenner. The rest is history.

Ya and he didn't get rid of the history!!!! Nice horrible analogy.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Time for the Leafs to make their own history.

I actually agree. It's time this team makes it's own mark instead of being compared to the legends.

it's tough when you hear things like "Bozak will never be like Sundin"....or "Clarkson can't compare to Clark". While statements like these are true, the reason is simple, they aren't.

I am the true definition of "oldtimer fan". I've witnessed the cup being raised by our team and will NEVER forget the greats, but it's time to embrace the history we are about to produce...not just the history we have produced.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Your argument.

Pictures = Stanley Cup Banners : TL = Ballard :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Please enlighten us how TL s going to ruin MLSE the way Ballard ruined the Leafs. What a joke.

So to summarize yet again, you can't think of a single valid reason why removing historical photos is going to change anything?

I'm sure if people working at Ford Motors walk in one day and Henry Ford's picture isn't there, suddenly they'll mystically realize they were being held back by his greatness on the wall, amirite?

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
So to summarize yet again, you can't think of a single valid reason why removing historical photos is going to change anything?

I'm sure if people working at Ford Motors walk in one day and Henry Ford's picture isn't there, suddenly they'll mystically realize they were being held back by his greatness on the wall, amirite?

Motivational tactic, re-imaging the brand, refocusing his 'employees', etc. I refuse to believe that you can't understand this.

Your Ford Motors example is far-off and baseless. Is a line-worker taping doors to the 2013 Explorer competing for the Stanley Cup?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Removing past Stanley Cup photos is foolish. You can't erase history, and the team's Stanley Cup champions should always be honoured. It's a championship photo!

Now, if there are photos of the team celebrating Cory Cross's OT goal, or of Dougie's wrap-around goal against St. Louis, or of Sundin's hands in the air after the OT winner against Ottawa, etc., then yes, I'd agree with removing those.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

It has been said many times, Yosho did a great job at it. You have yet to give anything other than a Ballard example, which is VERY weak at best.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Motivational tactic, re-imaging the brand, refocusing his 'employees', etc. I refuse to believe that you can't understand this.

Your Ford Motors example is far-off and baseless. Is a line-worker taping doors to the 2013 Explorer competing for the Stanley Cup?

It has been said many times, Yosho did a great job at it. You have yet to give anything other than a Ballard example, which is VERY weak at best.

I can't believe adults are actually naive enough to buy this.

If this is the tactic you believe it is, feel free to provide me with concrete examples where it has done that which you think it will. I anxiously await your response.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
what is the advantage gained by Tim telling the media all this stuff? why not just go about doing it internally?

Even if he did, it would seep into the media some how. This is toronto we're talking about here. No secrets.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can't believe adults are actually naive enough to buy this.

If this is the tactic you believe it is, feel free to provide me with concrete examples where it has done that which you think it will. I anxiously await your response.

Those "employee refocusing techniques" sound like weird re-arrange the chairs on the Titanic type moves before the company gets bought out, massive layoffs occur and the head office gets moved out to Mississauga... :laugh:

It's actually a pretty straightforward equation. Get players who are > than Armstrong, Horton, Keon, Mahovlich, Bower and all the other offending ghosts, let them have some real success on the ice and carve out their identity that way. Worked for the Chicago Blackhawks.

A corporate shrill pulling Tony Robbins motivational stunts is pretty meaningless.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
People always wanted a Mark Cuban type of owner here. I understand that TL is not the owner of the Maple Leafs, but he is the closest we'll get to a single owner owning this franchise. I love his passion for winning. This exactly what we needed here for a long time at the corporate level.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
its perfectly fine. can't be dwelling in the past. the greats shouldn't be forgotten but giving us a new image which mean a focus on the present and future, then i'm all for it.

Feb 24, 2004
Those "employee refocusing techniques" sound like weird re-arrange the chairs on the Titanic type moves before the company gets bought out, massive layoffs occur and the head office gets moved out to Mississauga... :laugh:

It's actually a pretty straightforward equation. Get players who are > than Armstrong, Horton, Keon, Mahovlich, Bower and all the other offending ghosts, let them have some real success on the ice and carve out their identity that way. Worked for the Chicago Blackhawks.

A corporate shrill pulling Tony Robbins motivational stunts is pretty meaningless.

Couldn't agree more. If an NHL player is affected by this type of garbage we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I love how people can't talk about things around here without having a serious internet superiority complex. " I anxiously await your response." lmao

Sorry to break it to you but it doesn't restrict itself to the internet. Get used to it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Couldn't agree more. If an NHL player is affected by this type of garbage we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

That any adult would buy into those two statements I bolded just screams of either never having spent time in the adult world or never having managed a whole lot of people.

What Legend said pretty much sums it up. We would have to have some of the most weak minded, weak charactered people going and I'd love to know how they made it as far as they did in a competitive world with that level of weakness.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00