Rumor: Tim Leiweke Not Happy in Toronto

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
Lmao at everyone panicking.. he clearly stated that he has an obligation to get all three teams going at the same time, and I don't see a guy like Tim bailing until he does just that.

I don't see him leaving for another 3 years.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The Raptors are also gonna be really good for another 3-4 years before those draft picks from this year fully develop for their cellar dweller teams, if they hit their potential. Even then, I'm sure the Raps will add pieces and find a way to stay competitive.

The Raptors just have to provide depth behind this core because I think when we re-sign Lowry we have our core already. Have to improve the bench and make sure guys like JV, Ross, DD, Patterson, Amir keep working hard and getting better. I love this team.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
This was not a long term job for Tim. He saw an opportunity in Toronto to be the master behind getting all 3 teams on the right track and becoming championship contenders. We don't exactly know how TFC will do or the Raptors in a few years but the building blocks and the management team seem to be in place with both teams. The Leafs are his only obstacle right now. Once they're fixed, he's gone. He's not going to be here for 10 years, he's going to be here until the teams start winning and then he's going back to LA. He said it from the get go this was not a long term job for him.

Agreed, I don't think anyone will be sad or mad when he leaves if all 3 teams are contenders.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
As if the suits care about some fake rivalry. The "rivalry" is a cheesy motivational tool used by upper management to herd the sheep.

Bell and Rogers working together is like GM and Ford or coke and Pepsi. They hate each other.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
no idea, i assumed it was to fire everyone and rebuild the leafs organization. like masai did with the raps.

last year tim was drawing up parade routes for the leafs, now hes saying hes only here till all the teams turn it around. and he says 2 of the 3 have turned it around

Who did Ujiri fire? I think it was just Ed Stefanski and a couple of scouts.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Bell and Rogers working together is like GM and Ford or coke and Pepsi. They hate each other.

I doubt that. It's a healthy relationship. They make each other money. Think about it. They both set the market standard for cable, phone, internet, etc. And now they're setting the standard for merchandise, ticket prices, and just continue to cash grab from you.

But you're just playing into their game thinking they dislike each other. What is there to argue about when it comes to MLSE? They hire a guy like Tim in order to do the work and keep the money peddling in. Their hands are clean when it comes to MLSE as they continue to rack our cash in.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I doubt that. It's a healthy relationship. They make each other money. Think about it. They both set the market standard for cable, phone, internet, etc. And now they're setting the standard for merchandise, ticket prices, and just continue to cash grab from you.

But you're just playing into their game thinking they dislike each other. What is there to argue about when it comes to MLSE? They hire a guy like Tim in order to do the work and keep the money peddling in. Their hands are clean when it comes to MLSE as they continue to rack our cash in.

EXACTLY. Seriously, Rogers and Bell aren't bitter rivals. They are best friends. They engage in price fixing and collude to jack up phone/internet/mobile prices, effectively acting like a cartel (which is illegal), but never getting punished due to a huge conflict of interest with Rogers/Bell employees being members of the CRTC board.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
EXACTLY. Seriously, Rogers and Bell aren't bitter rivals. They are best friends. They engage in price fixing and collude to jack up phone/internet/mobile prices, effectively acting like a cartel (which is illegal), but never getting punished due to a huge conflict of interest with Rogers/Bell employees being members of the CRTC board.

As if there wasn't a direct conflict of interest when they both purchase MLSE.

Yet people still believe this BS they aren't in cahoots? It's right there people.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Who did Ujiri fire? I think it was just Ed Stefanski and a couple of scouts.

yeah that's it. He allowed a grace period for Casey to see how he coached the team etc etc. This team is nowhere near where they are now without the Gay trade. Ujiri is so humble when he says it was a lot of luck involved but it also is a lot of credit to him for noticing a blackhole on the team and making a change, plus we got rid of his massive contract. Can't believe Gay makes around 18 million a year. Wow.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hey guys,

According to Bruce Arthur of the National Post, Brendan Shanahan indicated he was open to the notion of exploring analytics — he said on TSN 1050 that he spent the plane ride reading up on Corsi and Fenwick, two popular puck-possession metrics. Also, there are whispers that wrestling with the competing telecommunication giants (Bell and Rogers) that own the place is not what you’d call a satisfying experience. Therefore, it seems as though Tim Leiweke is not happy right now and may eventually resign from his position as the President and CEO of MLSE sooner or later.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...r-brendan-shanahan-says-all-the-right-things/

Still, the press conference can’t win or lose the battle. Shanahan indicated he was open to the notion of exploring analytics — he told me and Dave Naylor on TSN 1050 that he spent the plane ride reading up on Corsi and Fenwick, two popular puck-possession metrics — and curiosity from a Hall of Famer is surely welcome. Shanahan didn’t reveal his vision of how the game should be played, but people who know him keep using that word: He had vision, they say. Always has.

The Leafs aren’t close to talented enough to win a Stanley Cup, so vision will be required. But all in all, this is Leiweke’s show now, though who knows for how long. Leiweke talks a lot about how dreadful the winter was, and there are whispers that wrestling with the competing telecommunication giants that own the place is not what you’d call a satisfying experience. Of course, nobody knows just how happy the giants are, either. The notion that Shanahan would be groomed as Leiweke’s successor was floated this week, even if Shanahan is a long way from being the same level of political, hyper-corporate figure. For what it’s worth, when flatly asked if he was searching for a successor, Leiweke laughed.

“No,” he said. “We don’t do that damn parade, I’ll never live it down.”

That’s a lot of winters away, more than likely. Better bundle up.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
What bothers me is that he put the Raptors and TFC as first priority over the Leafs. Not that they don't deserve any attention but as put, the Leafs are the golden goose of MLSE and on a business stand point, you'd want that to get top priority as they rake in the most money.

Well, since the Leafs are shooting themselves on the feet, it's safe to say that Mr. Leiweke set up as the Raptors and TFC as back-up plans.

Besides, the Leafs have that porous defense that most Canadian franchises are endemic of; no, "Optimus Reim" needs help too and cannot carry the Leafs all by himself.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IMO, Timmy L was brought here with the main goal of landing an NFL Team.
That will be his legacy and he will remain here until that happens or is no longer an option(ie. NFL expands elsewhere).

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Collusion isn't at all a slanderous, unproven claim.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Say what now? Anyone who believes that or thinks that way? The sooner they get out of town the better.

Entirely possible & frankly plausible. He's an LA guy. Gone all the elbow rubbing in La La Land with artists via AEG-Live, producers, actors, agents.... Toronto like a far flung provincial foreign outpost. I frankly was surprised at his hire and wondered how long his tenure would last. Oohed & awed, supposed Rainmaker, inflated reputation but thats another matter altogether.... And ya, further exacerbating matters the acrimony that was sure to occur between Rogers & Bell, and that cant be much of a treat to be dealing with. Regardless, he's hired Shanahan who must have or God help us if he didnt insisted on autonomy & full control of hockey operations. No interference. Gimme my Budget & go away. So if Lieweke does literally "go away" I for one could care less. His position, duties & responsibilities can be carried out by someone else. He's not indispensable. No one is.

The losing culture thing in a round about way does hold a bit of merit.

We as a fan base embrace mediocrity like other markets embrace winners.

They sell out (and have a waiting list) for the highest ticket and concession prices in the league and double the league average for what? Have they had to do anything of note to earn this from the fans?,no!

Record TV numbers , earned or given to them?

We freak out over making or missing "just a playoff slot" like it holds real meaning. We as fans do set or accept a pretty low bar for this franchise.

It's no surprise that with a market like this ,that ownership can constantly work with a "just get us into the playoffs" as it's top #1 priority above all else. Try to build a cup contender after that.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Lmao at everyone panicking.. he clearly stated that he has an obligation to get all three teams going at the same time, and I don't see a guy like Tim bailing until he does just that.

I don't see him leaving for another 3 years.

to the bolded

it depends what he means by that.

have we ever heard what that actually means?

does it mean get into the POs or does it mean build honest championship contenders?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Don't understand why some are concerned about the possibility of Tim moving on in sooner rather than later.

With no disrespect intended to the Raps or TFC, I am most interested in the hockey team, and I have yet to see anything that has changed with respect to the Leafs.

This year was just another team that couldn't play in it's own end and seemed to give up in the face of adversity.

I'd love to get behind Tim and his vision, but quite frankly after around 45 years of following this team, I've heard all of his "ideas" of changing the fortunes over and over again.

Burke promised change. Dryden promised change. etc. etc. etc.

If the task is too much for Tim, he might as well get out sooner rather than later.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
When has Leiweke mentioned that he doesn't plan on being here for the long haul? I thought he signed on for at least an initial 5 years, and I had forseen him sticking around for at least a decade.

Between getting all the sports teams up to par, not to mention wanting to see numerous championships brought to the city, he is overseeing the transformation of BMo Field and he talks as if his crown jewel goal is to eventually bring a NFL franchise to the city. I was never under the impression that this was a short-term gig for him.

Jacques Trap*

Thread title is a bit misleading. Toronto the city itself is a great world class city and I'm sure he's happy living in T.O. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't. He may be unhappy with the impossible job he has here in terms of turning the hockey team around. Different than "not happy in Toronto".

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
100% Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Wait until that summer smog hits his lungs. Timmy will be stoked to hop on the TTC for his morning commute..

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
What bothers me is that he put the Raptors and TFC as first priority over the Leafs. Not that they don't deserve any attention but as put, the Leafs are the golden goose of MLSE and on a business stand point, you'd want that to get top priority as they rake in the most money.

I feel this is easy to say now. Rewind to a year ago today and the Leafs are sitting good ready to make their first playoff appearance in years. The team was flying high, as was the city. There was no reason to do anything major at the time. Had he started tinkering then, everyone would have been screaming for the bloody American to get his grubby hands off the team.

The Raptors and TFC needed the most attention and that was addressed. The Leafs' problems haven't really stemmed until recently -- the last month when they had the epic collapse; further back to early in the calender year if you sensed impending doom -- and now he is addressing it. I don't blame him with the approach and sequence he took.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Hey guys,

According to Bruce Arthur of the National Post, Brendan Shanahan indicated he was open to the notion of exploring analytics — he said on TSN 1050 that he spent the plane ride reading up on Corsi and Fenwick, two popular puck-possession metrics. Also, there are whispers that wrestling with the competing telecommunication giants (Bell and Rogers) that own the place is not what you’d call a satisfying experience. Therefore, it seems as though Tim Leiweke is not happy right now and may eventually resign from his position as the President and CEO of MLSE sooner or later.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014...r-brendan-shanahan-says-all-the-right-things/

Wrap the thread up guys. He pretty much said hes not leaving until the leafs win a cup.

He's here until the day he dies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
When has Leiweke mentioned that he doesn't plan on being here for the long haul? I thought he signed on for at least an initial 5 years, and I had forseen him sticking around for at least a decade.

Between getting all the sports teams up to par, not to mention wanting to see numerous championships brought to the city, he is overseeing the transformation of BMo Field and he talks as if his crown jewel goal is to eventually bring a NFL franchise to the city. I was never under the impression that this was a short-term gig for him.

you should try and listen to jeff blair on the fan 590, they talked about this, maybe like15/20 minutes ago.

They made a lot of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad